CX-5 Oil filter (turbo)

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
I just reviewed the MAZDA CX5 oil filter part number and realize the the Turbo and Non turbo part numbers are the same now. 1WPY-14-302.

I just reviewed the MAZDA CX5 oil filter part number and realize the the Turbo and Non turbo part numbers are the same now. 1WPY-14-302.
But I just got an OEM 1WPE-14-302 Thai made Denso oil filter for my 2.5L last Friday from my Mazda dealer. Nothing has changed.

Is the 1WPY a new version? Or did they change the recommendation?
For the 2.5T, factory PY8W-14-302 Japanese Tokyo Roki oil filter found on the new CX-5’s has been superseded by the Thai made 1WPY-14-302 Denso oil filter only in the US market since Dec. 2019.

Which website did you use to check the part number? I just checked mazdaswag.com and the part numbers for the non-turbo and turbo are still different. 1WPE for non-turbo and 1WPY for turbo.

MAZDA SWAG SALES has the CX5 Ste and turbo oil filter listed as the same. Ed
Just tried mazdaswag.com.

When I specified 2020 CX-5 GT-R (2.5T), it gave me the correct 1WPY-14-302 if I chose Engine / Engine Parts; it gave me the incorrect 1WPE-14-302 if I chose Maintenance and Lubrication / Filters.

When I specified 2020 CX-5 GT (2.5L), it gave me the correct 1WPE-14-302 if I chose Engine / Engine Parts; it also gave me the correct 1WPE-14-302 if I chose Maintenance and Lubrication / Filters.

Wow, this’s the most intensive comparison article between Japanese made Tokyo Roki oil filter and Thai made Denso oil filter! This make me feel like I want to get more Tokyo Roki PE01-14-302B oil filter for my 2016 CX-5 from partsouq.com in UAE after my stock of 23 Tokyo Roki PE01-14-302A’s collected few years ago have exhausted.

Yes, you still can get Japanese Tokyo Roki oil filters from partsouq.com in UAE (also on eBay), and you can get it within a week like you order the parts from US online sellers.

2021 CX-5 GTR Oil Filter Question

Actually I believe Thai made Denso (Toyota) oil filters are very good in quality and I won’t hesitate to use it once my Japanese made Tokyo Roki oil filters have run out. But there’re Mazda’s “Value Product” line maintenance parts used by Mazda dealers puzzled me as why Mazda wants to offer those cheaper and apparently lower quality Mexican made OEM PY8W-14-302-MV and PE01-14-302A-MV “Value” oil filters to confuse Mazda owners?

his conclusion to change the Thai filter every 2500 mi is just dumb
Yea, I agree. Poor judgement. But that filter not having end caps and being made kinda like a fram makes me want to deviate from oem and use a wix 57002

Yea, I agree. Poor judgement. But that filter not having end caps and being made kinda like a fram makes me want to deviate from oem and use a wix 57002
Without metal end caps on both ends of filtering element doesn’t mean the filter isn’t good. Both sides of element are glued properly on each pleat and they won’t leak. In fact the process of sealing this way on the side of element without metal end caps is more involved ($$$) than with metal end caps.

The oil filter cartridge used on my BMW 528i looks like the same way as the filtering element in Thai made Denso oil filter.

718A4064-086B-48CC-8A83-A6914EBA93A7.jpeg

When I went to my local dealer to pick up some filters for my 2019 turbo the parts guy brought out the MV filters and I told him I wanted the 1WPY-14-302. He said no problem and brought those out. He did comment there’s no difference in the 2 and mostly they used the MV. Maybe I should consider using the Wix next time.

When I went to my local dealer to pick up some filters for my 2019 turbo the parts guy brought out the MV filters and I told him I wanted the 1WPY-14-302. He said no problem and brought those out. He did comment there’s no difference in the 2 and mostly they used the MV. Maybe I should consider using the Wix next time.
Cheaper Mazda MV “Value Line” maintenance parts including oil filters definitely look inferior than standard Mazda OEM maintenance parts. Mazda dealers use “Value Line” maintenance parts simply is to save their cost. Don’t use Wix oil filter on your 2.5T as Wix offers only one oil filter for both 2.5L and 2.5T.

I would rather use an OEM MV filter than a one-size-fits-all filter, at least for the duration of the manufacturer's warranty. They use the MV because it's cheaper for them to buy.

Is it known what the difference is between the turbo and non turbo filters? Are filter flow rates, media area, bypass pressure, if used, and other data published? An oil filter does not seem to be an extremely complicated device and comparison should be easier than it is.
I’m happy sticking with the OEM and satisfied it will preform well but just curious. I recently replaced air filter and OEM looked far superior than aftermarket.

Is it known what the difference is between the turbo and non turbo filters? Are filter flow rates, media area, bypass pressure, if used, and other data published? An oil filter does not seem to be an extremely complicated device and comparison should be easier than it is.
I’m happy sticking with the OEM and satisfied it will preform well but just curious. I recently replaced air filter and OEM looked far superior than aftermarket.
Mazda has never published any data on its OEM oil filters other than some document saying the OEM oil filter used on SkyActiv 2.0L / 2.5L non-turbo engines is a high-flow oil filter and don’t use earlier version of OEM oil filters used by other Mazda engines or it could trigger the CEL. Wix 57002 oil filter claimed it’s designed specifically for Mazda SkyActiv engines before the 2.5T came out. and did release the specs. Some people used Wix 57002 data as the specs for Mazda OEM oil filter on the 2.0L / 2.5L. But Mazda used a diffrtent OEM oil filter for the 2.5T which was released in 2016. Wix hasn’t come out a new oil filter for it, but keeps using 57002 for the newer 2.5T. By using the common sense, if the 2.5T can use the same oil filter as the 2.5L, why Mazda would want waste money to develop another oil filter just for the 2.5T? The specs between the 2 OEM oil filters have to be different. But after-market oil filter manufactures with the “one-size-fit-all” attitude use only one oil filter for all SkyActiv engines as long as it fits. And BTW, the same after-market oil filter is also used by many other engines from many other car manufactures.

Bosch ST3300 Oil Filter - Fits 2016 but won't work for 2017??

I don't know if anyone has ever cut open two filters to see. I have plenty of used turbo oil filters at home, but if Mazda specifies two different part numbers for each supplier (Japan, Thailand, Mexico), there must be some differences significant enough to warrant that. Oil filter specifications are not published (I don't think any manufacturer provides that info, but I may be wrong).

Mazda has never published any data on its OEM oil filters other than some document saying the OEM oil filter used on SkyActiv 2.0L / 2.5L non-turbo engines is a high-flow oil filter and don’t use earlier version of OEM oil filters used by other Mazda engines or it could trigger the CEL. Wix 57002 oil filter claimed it’s designed specifically for Mazda SkyActiv engines before the 2.5T came out. and did release the specs. Some people used Wix 57002 data as the specs for Mazda OEM oil filter on the 2.0L / 2.5L. But Mazda used a diffrtent OEM oil filter for the 2.5T which was released in 2016. Wix hasn’t come out a new oil filter for it, but keeps using 57002 for the newer 2.5T. By using the common sense, if the 2.5T can use the same oil filter as the 2.5L, why Mazda would want waste money to develop another oil filter just for the 2.5T? The specs between the 2 OEM oil filters have to be different. But after-market oil filter manufactures with the “one-size-fit-all” attitude use only one oil filter for all SkyActiv engines as long as it fits. And BTW, the same after-market oil filter is also used by many other engines from many other car manufactures.

Bosch ST3300 Oil Filter - Fits 2016 but won't work for 2017??
I would stick to an OEM filter for Turbo. Your question is %100 valid. Why should Mazda spend more money to develop a different filter for the Turbo while they could use the same filter that they have for NA.
I installed a Fram XG6607 on my 2020 CX 5 signature (Turbo) couple of months ago. No problem at all everything worked perfectly, till last Sunday, when I drove outside of city (200 Km) for a quick get away. On my way back suddenly oil pressure warning illuminated. Instantly, I pulled over, checked for any oil leak and couldn't find anything. Turned off the engine, waited for 5 minutes, back on, and the light is gone. Drove about 40-50 KM and back again, its on! this happened 3 times till I got home.
The next day did an oil change and installed the Mazda OEM. Since then, no oil pressure warning.
My assumption is as the weather was hot and I was driving fast on high way (putting pressure on engine) it was showing the difference between the two filters.
I am going to drive the same route this week and its going to be hotter than the last week. I will let you know if it happens again (hope not).
Anyways, I learned my lesson, not to over simplify things.

UPDATE: I took the same route and seems my assumption was right. No oil pressure warning light anymore!

Last edited:
Back