2013 CX-5 2.2D PCM Replacement options due to Faulty Injectors

Hi all,

I've just had my 2013 CX5 into mazda for a repair of the injector seals/oil strainer issue. To be fair it was done for free by Mazda so no complaints here.
After replacing everything including injectors, im told that my ECU/PCM is done for and needs replacement. At $4000 i'm looking to find some alternatives.
Whats the better option?:
*Replace a second hand PCM and go through handshake procedure for immobiliser etc? - Any pointers on best software for this, can I do with FORSCAN?
*Replace the full PCM immobiliser/key set
*Another option?
With the PCM replacement, all the second hand ones have the same codes but the last letter is different, most end in 881C instead of 881D. Everything else is the same though, assuming engine/trans config the same, these units should be ok yeah?

Happy to hear your thoughts on a nice cheap and reasonably easy solution lol.

S
Thanks

Yeah they didn't provide to much clarification as to the why other than after the work they did, its still not running right, has a miss and error code is P062B is present. They seemto think theyve ruled out everything barr the PCM.

If that doesn't work, will they remove the new PCM, or will you be forced to buy it?
Possibly a used one can be sourced a at salvage yard.

So a $4000 guess. And you think they will admit it if the a new PCM DOESN'T fix it?

Well that was the concern, so yes I've brought car home today and replaced the pcm with one from a junker. Still have the p062b error so dodged a bullet there. This leaves me a bit stuck though lol. The battery is very much l on the way out so I'll start by replacing that. What are the other options though, injector harness? The harness itself did cop some heat when my exhaust pressure sensor melted away. The harness appears fine but I might strip it down and take a look. I hate electrical issues...

Is there freeze frame data for that error? Does the code set before you start the car, or while running?

Unless you have a scope, troubleshooting might be tedious and difficult to isolate. You can test wire integrity using an incandescent test light--assuring individual wires can carry current. Also careful inspection of connectors, pin fitment, harness damage, etc.

CAN buss errors can cause various "internal" codes to be set. Again, without a scope to verify CAN buss...

I don;t have the diesel electrical/engine control diagrams to understand what other modules or components are in the vehicle.

If you live in the NE U.S. reach out to Ivan w/ Pine Hollow Diagnostics.

Is there freeze frame data for that error? Does the code set before you start the car, or while running?

Unless you have a scope, troubleshooting might be tedious and difficult to isolate. You can test wire integrity using an incandescent test light--assuring individual wires can carry current. Also careful inspection of connectors, pin fitment, harness damage, etc.

CAN buss errors can cause various "internal" codes to be set. Again, without a scope to verify CAN buss...

I don;t have the diesel electrical/engine control diagrams to understand what other modules or components are in the vehicle.

If you live in the NE U.S. reach out to Ivan w/ Pine Hollow Diagnostics.
To your knowledge, if I swap over PCM/BCM,under wheel ignition module and key, should I at least be able to get the ignition on? I get I need to reprogram the PCM to the VIN etc, but I cant even get the car to switch on with this matching set?

To your knowledge, if I swap over PCM/BCM,under wheel ignition module and key, should I at least be able to get the ignition on? I get I need to reprogram the PCM to the VIN etc, but I cant even get the car to switch on with this matching set?
Never mind, I got it sorted. THats the second PCM ive tried now, all 3 have the same error code so its not the PCM. Saved $4000. Issue is with the cylinder four, (the only cylinder mazda didnt replace the injector of), its also the injector which was soaked in oil (which I wiped down before mazda got to it) and not carbon like the other 3, im guessing they did a visual inspection only and replaced cylinders 1-3 only. Car runs the same, with or without injector 4 lead plugged in. Wont run with any other injector lead removed. Put a scope on injector lead 4. Confirmed signal to this lead. 99% sure injector 4 is dead.

What type of scope did you use?

Are you able to swap that injector to another cylinder to verify it follows the injector?
Based on your testing, it does seem like a bad injector, but if you can do a quick injector swap and it follows the injector, that would be another confirmed dead injector test.

Back