2010 Mazda3 Gas Mileage Roll Call...Please...

Not quite sure what you meant, but if you are saying that you must be speedier driver because you are only getting 22-23 mpg (or mph). I would say it is because of the only 25% highway. I know I only have had this car for 4 months but from the driving I have done, this car gets much better gas when in constant motion rather than stop an go (even at low speeds). I have watched the ave. speed (and average mpg) gauge go down as much as 1 mph (ave speed) just sitting at a long stop light. And just going out of my subdivision, which is less than a mile, it can take .2 mpg off my average mpg.

If you were referring to average speed of 22-23 mph, then I think I get what you are joking at. However, your computer calculates stop lights and pauses in driving which realy reduces your average mph. If you are drving 75% non highway driving then getting a high mph is hard to do. If I am wrong on both, I appoliges as it is late and I am tired, but was still trying to figure out what you were saying.

Latka,

I was joking that an old guy must be driving like a kid. Most of my driving is around town so your info is helpful. I will calc mileage without the puter and report back. Thanks for the info.

Latka,

I was joking that an old guy must be driving like a kid. Most of my driving is around town so your info is helpful. I will calc mileage without the puter and report back. Thanks for the info.

Fred,
It is great that you are having fun while you are driving! I think it is easier to enjoy this car without that computer. It needs to be on the screen that just shows the preset radio stations because everytime I start having some fun with the car (and traffic) the average mpg goes down way too soon. It makes me feel guilty and I wind up driving more conservative. By the way keep driving like a kid, it is more fun!

P.S. I am kidding about the computer, I love seeing more data, but sometimes it is hard to deal with when you like driving for fun.

Took it to the mountains today, 266 miles traveled round trip, I got 32.6 mpg avg on the computer, avg speed 44mph, so I was doing pretty well.

Mostly highway and traffic, sometimes I get a nice day with no traffic. A recent highway drive yielded 35mpg. Usually 28...have the 2.5l Auto. In town I expect 24. I have 5000 miles on the car.

Purchased car April 09.

Now up to 27,000kms

Ave - 28.45mpg

Highest - 35.71
Lowest - 25.64*

* Roof Rack installed with Thule Box.

Methodology:
Recording Km's with each fill up.

Which Thule box you got? Any pics of it installed? How do you like it?

Thanks (burnout)

1 Issue-

The hatch does not open all the way up. I have the box as far forward as it can go.

So I would suggest if you are thinking of picking one make sure you can test fit it before you have to buy it.

MazdaThule.jpg

Latka, I have a similar issue with my new 3 (s-sport, 6 sp) - 11.4 gallons pumped in following the low fuel light (on a 15.9 gallon tank!). Did you get any resolution on this? I believe normal should be ~1.7 gallons, however I don't have confirmation yet.

Wow, thanks man. Very cool.

What part of the hatch touches the Thule.... the wing / spoiler I'd guess? This is one issue I have with the Speed3 rear wing, it's larger than the regular Mazda 3 wing and more likely to hit whatever you might have on the roof. When I bought my last SUV, I made sure it did not come with a wing on the rear hatch for this reason.

It is the spoiler.

I put some foam pads on the box to prevent scratches.

One year update.

Now up to ~65,000kms

Ave - 27.00mpg

Highest - 36.21mpg

Lowest - 22.12mpg

Mostly hwy driving.
Ave hwy speed ~120kms.
Roof Racks and two bike carriers in summer and Thule box on and off in winter.

The mpg readout in my 2010 MazdaSpeed3 seems to always be between 1 - 2 mpg optimistic verses reality (as accurately measured). This is pretty much what most others report.

For everyday, around town driving, almost all of it stop and go, in traffic, a lot of cold start-ups etc, I'm averaging around 20 mpg (and my readout sits at around 22 mpg). I get on the throttle a lot too in order to blast around slow moving bozos, so I'm not driving in the most "economical" manner, but at least I'm having fun. 20 mpg ain't too bad for nearly full time traffic conditions mixed with a good deal of heavy throttle blast offs.

Whenever I get a chance to run on the highway for a spell, the mpg goes WAY up, but I haven't done enough of that type of driving with this car yet to report any accurate averages. The car SEEMS really good on the highway though, can't wait to take it on a long trip.

I have a Speed 3 and I am getting anywhere from 20-24MPG. That's a little bit of city and a lot of highway but I do run into a lot of traffic.

I have a Speed 3 and I am getting anywhere from 20-24MPG. That's a little bit of city and a lot of highway but I do run into a lot of traffic.
Is this based on the readings you see on the instrument panel, or by doing your own calculations?

I just filled up again yesterday and rechecked the instrument panel mpg reading (which I had reset at last fill up)... the instrument panel said I averaged 22.6 mpg but my calculations indicated I actually got 20.4 mpg. Most often the instrument panel mpg gauge is a good 2 mpg optimistic.

So compared to most small "economy" cars, and the fact that the Speed3 requires 93 octane, the Speed3 is not the most "economical" car to own... almost the same as a 6.0 liter LS2 Corvette actually. Corvette also averages around 20-ish mpg on the street and also requires 93 octane...

Is this based on the readings you see on the instrument panel, or by doing your own calculations?

I just filled up again yesterday and rechecked the instrument panel mpg reading (which I had reset at last fill up)... the instrument panel said I averaged 22.6 mpg but my calculations indicated I actually got 20.4 mpg. Most often the instrument panel mpg gauge is a good 2 mpg optimistic.

So compared to most small "economy" cars, and the fact that the Speed3 requires 93 octane, the Speed3 is not the most "economical" car to own... almost the same as a 6.0 liter LS2 Corvette actually. Corvette also averages around 20-ish mpg on the street and also requires 93 octane...

The car says 24.9. I do my own every time I fill up and consistently get 22 for the most part.

Back