2010 Mazda3 Gas Mileage Roll Call...Please...

cjre1

Everyone and anyone who owns a brand new 2010 Mazda3 (all Models),

Please post how many miles you have on the car and what your best and worst gas mileage is City/Hwy please.

Thanks.

I only have 560 miles on my 2010 i-touring. No highway miles as of yet, been getting around 24. I always use the shifting option versus D-auto.

I only have 560 miles on my 2010 i-touring. No highway miles as of yet, been getting around 24. I always use the shifting option versus D-auto.

Thanks for the post. When you get hwy miles, please let us know.
I wonder if that acutally will make a difference (shifting vs D-auto). You pose something that is not in the book or listed on my research.

Thanks for the post. When you get hwy miles, please let us know.
I wonder if that acutally will make a difference (shifting vs D-auto). You pose something that is not in the book or listed on my research.

You will get better mileage leaving it in D.

I have a 5 speed 2.0L iTouring model, and I just filled up my gas tank and I got 33mpg. Majority of driving was to and from work at 60-65mph, with some periods of high speeds thrown in there.

Total mileage on the vehicle is around 970.

Fuel light

I have a weird question as a new 3 GT owner. If any of you here could make sense out of the following I would really appreciate it. I filled up my car for the first time this morning after my fuel light went on and 1 bar left on my fuel gage (just dropped to one bar within 1 mile of my fill up). The tank is supposed to hold 15.9 gallons of gas correct? I pumped in 11.4 gallons of gas (even topped it off). Does the fuel light come on with still 4.5 gallons still left in the tank? Should I assume that it is completed safe to drive all the way down to no bars on my fuel gage? It just seems like the fuel light will be on for a long time before you are in real danger of running out.

P.S. I only had 347 mile on my trip and said I had 40 miles left on my range. My fuel estimates by the computer were exactly what I got which was 30.4mpg. I do about 90-95% highway driving. I just didn't want to run low on gas in my first tank.

I am not sure of the actual specs on the new 3's fuel capacities but typically, there is a "reserve" that is built in to the fuel light. On my 07 it is about 3 gallons.

Thank you for the info. My 96 Camry had a 2 gallon reserve but if my numbers are correct, the fuel light maybe going on a little prematurely in the GT. 3 gallons is lot in the tank as well, from previous models. So to sum it up, what you are saying is you do not have to pull into a gas station right after the light goes on (or in my case not for 120 miles......ok maybe 60 to be safe).

Thank you for the info. My 96 Camry had a 2 gallon reserve but if my numbers are correct, the fuel light maybe going on a little prematurely in the GT. 3 gallons is lot in the tank as well, from previous models. So to sum it up, what you are saying is you do not have to pull into a gas station right after the light goes on (or in my case not for 120 miles......ok maybe 60 to be safe).

lol yes basically. I usually go about 20-30 after the light is on but I am sure the 2010 could be different and you could go farther if the tank is bigger

I have a weird question as a new 3 GT owner. If any of you here could make sense out of the following I would really appreciate it. I filled up my car for the first time this morning after my fuel light went on and 1 bar left on my fuel gage (just dropped to one bar within 1 mile of my fill up). The tank is supposed to hold 15.9 gallons of gas correct? I pumped in 11.4 gallons of gas (even topped it off). Does the fuel light come on with still 4.5 gallons still left in the tank? Should I assume that it is completed safe to drive all the way down to no bars on my fuel gage? It just seems like the fuel light will be on for a long time before you are in real danger of running out.

P.S. I only had 347 mile on my trip and said I had 40 miles left on my range. My fuel estimates by the computer were exactly what I got which was 30.4mpg. I do about 90-95% highway driving. I just didn't want to run low on gas in my first tank.

Most fuel lights do come on with a few miles left in the tank. Topping off will do more harm then good.

Most fuel lights do come on with a few miles left in the tank. Topping off will do more harm then good.

I agree...I slightly topped it more to find out if there really was only 11.4 gallons to this fill. It really took me by surprise. (plus I only added 80 cents worth more of gas). There was a lot of gas (must have been) left in the tank.

Long trip

I just completed a 285 mile trip over the holiday weekend, vast majority was at 70mph, with some periods of 60 going through some towns.

Arriving at my destination I got 36.96 mpg. Basically 37mpg. Didn't really get a change to guage on the way back since I forgot to reset.

Miles on car are around 1400 now I think.

I just completed a 285 mile trip over the holiday weekend, vast majority was at 70mph, with some periods of 60 going through some towns.

Arriving at my destination I got 36.96 mpg. Basically 37mpg. Didn't really get a change to guage on the way back since I forgot to reset.

Miles on car are around 1400 now I think.

That is awesome! I truly think this car is capable of getting that kind of mileage on longer trips. I drive 80 miles a day (almost all highway) and I am addicted to watching the mpg and average speed. It has become almost a game to try and get the highest mpg and average speed.

What is strange and correct me If I am wrong, but I am getting more mpg at 70mph than at 55mpg. When I travel at 70mph my mpg increases more than driving at 60mpg. It is strange since most/all cars are I thought were supposed to get the best gas mileage between 55-60mph. My numbers might be skewed a little since I very rarely spend time in the 55-60mph on my 80 mile trip (and It might be my perception of wanting more mpg at higher speeds). I do spend most of my drving on the highway at 65-70mph. Yesterday on my second half (40mile) trip I averaged 34 mpg. Seing your results make me very happy.

What is strange and correct me If I am wrong, but I am getting more mpg at 70mph than at 55mpg. When I travel at 70mph my mpg increases more than driving at 60mpg. It is strange since most/all cars are I thought were supposed to get the best gas mileage between 55-60mph. My numbers might be skewed a little since I very rarely spend time in the 55-60mph on my 80 mile trip (and It might be my perception of wanting more mpg at higher speeds). I do spend most of my driving on the highway at 65-70mph. Yesterday on my second half (40mile) trip I averaged 34 mpg. Seing your results make me very happy.
Are you measuring this with the car's average readout? Do you zero it out before you hit the highway or when you start the car? I use a scangauge that zeros every time I start the car so it factors in idling for the trip before you begin, and it can also tell mpg for the tank. Great little toy.

Areas where you go 50-60mph will have more stoplights, traffic, and fewer lanes -requiring slowdowns for turning vehicles - think country road. I get my best mpg at 40mph because my car goes into 5th at 36mph and the T/C locks at 39-40mph so I'm driving the wheels with less loss of power transfer and I'm not pushing much air out of the way of the car (vs at 100 you're doing a lot of that).

Warm days with low humidity will also give you a good mpg bump, my car hates rain.

Also if you get a Scangauge you can watch the gallons/hr readout and it's fun to see it read zero when you're coasting at speed. I get 36mpg on trips around town with low average speeds if not foiled by red lights and buses because I can coast down hills for nearly free.

Back