2010 Mazda3 Gas Mileage Roll Call...Please...

9500miles, 70% highway, 75+mph on highway, aggressive driving in city; 27.3 MPG solid.

ALWAYS at least 2 gallons of gas left in tank after the computer reads '0' to empty, which translates into 60 miles highway cruising and 50 miles city driving.

I've driven 58.5 miles hard city miles after '0' miles and ran out of gas...... only 10 feet from the gas station :(

Check my long-term reviews ;)

Last edited:
2010 Mazdaspeed 3. On highway I am looking at about 28mpg, In the city I have an avg of about 23mpg. I am at 7200miles.

I'm at about 2300 mi. now in the 3s, and I'm averaging 29.5 mpg and 42 mph.

update: I've had my CorkSport SRI installed for almost 1000 mi. (I'm at about 3600 total), and I'm now averaging 28.7 mpg and 41 mph. I expect the numbers to improve since I've been driving more aggressively than usual (enjoying the sound of the SRI!). I got 29.4 mpg on my last tank.

I have a weird question as a new 3 GT owner. If any of you here could make sense out of the following I would really appreciate it. I filled up my car for the first time this morning after my fuel light went on and 1 bar left on my fuel gage (just dropped to one bar within 1 mile of my fill up). The tank is supposed to hold 15.9 gallons of gas correct? I pumped in 11.4 gallons of gas (even topped it off). Does the fuel light come on with still 4.5 gallons still left in the tank? Should I assume that it is completed safe to drive all the way down to no bars on my fuel gage? It just seems like the fuel light will be on for a long time before you are in real danger of running out.

P.S. I only had 347 mile on my trip and said I had 40 miles left on my range. My fuel estimates by the computer were exactly what I got which was 30.4mpg. I do about 90-95% highway driving. I just didn't want to run low on gas in my first tank.

Thats not a weird question at all- Its been pretty consistent with my 2008 and my 2010 2.5 Hb . After you knock down that last block on the scale at the far left and the gas pump is bright yellow you have approx. 2.5-3.0 gallons left which is a bit tricky for Mazda ,however it serves a purpose/ well 2 / #1 the fuel pump is lubricated by ...gasoline ! and running a fuel injected car out of gas can cause excessive wear on that pump , particularly if you run it bone-dry then need to re-prime it and crank the hell out of it--bad-- the of course theres the long term issue #2 - after a car gets a bit older or if you live somewhere that the quality of the gas resivoirs at your local station are dated you will get sediment in the tank and running the car low on fuel draws that sediment right in the fuel system causing potential , fuel filter cloggage, fuel injector cloggage and rough running engine . Its just BAD again --so there you have it -- 2 good reasons to just consider that you have a 12 gallon tank and not 16 -

Mileage -- I live is a city that has major stop and go urban blight-- I know that in the city my 2.5 2010 is getting 20 mpg because with 3000 miles on it I only average 24mpg and its almost 50/50 hwy city driving . If i was 100% hwy I know I could nail down 27-28 if I drove the speed limit+5 but I am always between 70-80 as thats where it likes to be , barley breathin but still feels like its ready to launch.

I think I converted it right, im averaging 28.6

(8.1-8.2l/100km)

mostly highways though.. so that helps.

so far i've driven about 999 miles and we've taken it on a road trip so with 85% highway driving, i've been getting 30.1 and when we do take streets the lowest it has fallen to is 28.7, but when i first got the car, before leaving on the roadtrip, i would get 24-25 pretty easily

Are you guys using the computer on the display or calculating it manually? I was psyched to see I was getting about 28.5mpg on the car's computer (I have +/- 1400 miles) but did the calc myself on the last tank and only came out with 26.4mpg. I drive about a 50/50 split of highway/city with the highway miles usually 70-80mph. Still good, but 2 miles difference. (shrug)

I just did a drive from Cincinnati, OH up past Akron, OH... about 4 hr drive. I got all the way up and back on a full tank. Averaged 40mpg cruising at 70-75. around the city/highway driving, I average 27.

2010 mz3 s Sport 6-spd MT 2.5l hatchback. Mostly operate between 5500ft and 10000ft elevation, lots of steep mountain grades, relatively little stop-and-go traffic. 85-octane 10% ethanol gasoline. Some occasional AC use, but I try to keep it off unless I'm uncomfortably hot in the cabin. Around 3500 miles on odometer now, recent tanks have all been 29.5-31.5mpg, based on trip odometer and pumped gallons.

I had a 2010 3 GT and had 27.6 mpg at 37 mph average over 8000 miles. I now have a 2010 MS3 and have 26.7 at 34 mph and over 18000 miles. I use my MS3, but I also do not speed up to stoplights just to stop again. So, a lot of coasting and then a lot of gas pedal when it is time to go again (drove the same in both cars).

My wife's 2010 2.5 s Grand Touring 5 Spd. Auto gets around 27 average and has a little over 3000 miles on it.
My 2010 2.0 i Touring 5 Spd. Auto got 30.5, 26.0 and then 27 and it just turned 1000 miles.
Both cars get a good mix of city and highway mileage.
I'm going on vacation next week and will put quite a few highway miles on the car loaded down and will update.

***UPDATE***
After an 1100 mile trip to the NC Coast I have some very disappointing numbers. On the way there and back, I only got 32 MPG, all interstate driving in my i Touring. At sea level, I only got 36 mpg. I should have bought a GT. You give up about a million things when you choose the i Touring over the GT and the only reason is the better fuel economy. A giant sacrifice for a minute little gain. Maybe it has something to do with the problem I having with mine (see my post http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123786360-A-Problem-Already! ).

Last edited:
2010 Mz3 sedan 2.0L manual

-28.9MPG on a trip to boca raton (speed limit, light on throttle)
- 28.4MPG on the trip back to tampa (more throttle, higher constant speed)
-29.1MPG last week city driving (moderate driving)

2010 MZ3 i-Touring, Auto, 2.0L Sedan

Currently 7500 (75% Hwy miles)
Average~31.1 mpg
Best~35.1 mpg
Worst~27.9 mpg

I use Fuelly.com to track all my fill ups....The car is breaking in quite nicely, and I have been actually seeing more like 32-34 mpg on the last few fill ups.

2011 Mz3 s sport with CS SRI installed and I get 18-19 all city miles (to be fair I don't drive lightly). I just hit 1300 miles

Hey All!

I'm not sure if something is up here. I have a 2010 Mazda 3 2.0 i-touring 5 SPD 4 door. I only have about 1600 miles I reckon. But I think my fuel economy is crap. I'm down to 2 fuel squares left and only at about 250 miles since fill up. How many total miles am I supposed to get per tank? Even if I only did city driving, I thought I should have way more than 350 miles per tank. My 08 Mustang GT had comparable fuel economy to this car. I expected it to be far superior than my Mustang!

hey all!

I'm not sure if something is up here. I have a 2010 mazda 3 2.0 i-touring 5 spd 4 door. I only have about 1600 miles i reckon. But i think my fuel economy is crap. I'm down to 2 fuel squares left and only at about 250 miles since fill up. How many total miles am i supposed to get per tank? Even if i only did city driving, i thought i should have way more than 350 miles per tank. My 08 mustang gt had comparable fuel economy to this car. I expected it to be far superior than my mustang!

bump

Back