'18 CX-9 and Fortin Remote Car Starter...Success!

NY folks, anyone had issue with Fortin and failing the emission inspection?

I installed the Fortin about 10 months ago. Today I remote started it as usual and drove for about 2 hours. Went to an auto shop for annual state inspection and failed the emission test.

The result says
Emissions Result
Readiness - Fail
Monitor Catalyst - Not Ready
Monitor EVAP - Not Ready

The shop guy asked me if I changed or disconnected the battery and I did change the battery 4000 miles ago. He advised me to drive the car few more to reset drive cycle which doesn't make sense to me.

I googled around and found this.

Anyone has same issue? I wonder if I can just not use remote start and drive a bit to reset or I have to disconnect the Fortin as the guy suggested in the post.

Car is 2019 CX9 @ 47k miles.

NY folks, anyone had issue with Fortin and failing the emission inspection?

I installed the Fortin about 10 months ago. Today I remote started it as usual and drove for about 2 hours. Went to an auto shop for annual state inspection and failed the emission test.

The result says
Emissions Result
Readiness - Fail
Monitor Catalyst - Not Ready
Monitor EVAP - Not Ready

The shop guy asked me if I changed or disconnected the battery and I did change the battery 4000 miles ago. He advised me to drive the car few more to reset drive cycle which doesn't make sense to me.

I googled around and found this.

Anyone has same issue? I wonder if I can just not use remote start and drive a bit to reset or I have to disconnect the Fortin as the guy suggested in the post.

Car is 2019 CX9 @ 47k miles.
I recently had this issue in Texas. Failed emissions inspection. I was able to pass it by driving around for about 50 miles without turning the car off and then went to the inspection place and let it idle. I also have a code scanner that I checked with every once in awhile to see if I was going to pass. Long drives it would say everything is ok and then next engine cycle would say it wasn’t. Good to know it may be Evo related

I recently had this issue in Texas. Failed emissions inspection. I was able to pass it by driving around for about 50 miles without turning the car off and then went to the inspection place and let it idle. I also have a code scanner that I checked with every once in awhile to see if I was going to pass. Long drives it would say everything is ok and then next engine cycle would say it wasn’t. Good to know it may be Evo related

I just posted another thread in general section that I tried to disconnect the Evo and ****** it up even more (forgot to disconnect battery first). Now I'm getting Keyless System Malfunction that I'm stuck with.

That is a big boo-boo on Fortin's behalf. I would reach out to them to see if they have a solution. Logic tells me a simple firmware update should solve this issue.
I think a simple solve would be avoid starting the car by remote the week before inspection. I believe starting the car normally doesn't trigger the reset.

I think a simple solve would be avoid starting the car by remote the week before inspection. I believe starting the car normally doesn't trigger the reset.
Sure, but you shouldn't have to. I have never had a remote start operate this way, and if it did, it would be removed and replaced immediately.

Sure, but you shouldn't have to. I have never had a remote start operate this way, and if it did, it would be removed and replaced immediately.
I'm not sure if anyone else has the same issue since nobody talks about it and that was the only thread I could Google.

I'm not sure if anyone else has the same issue since nobody talks about it and that was the only thread I could Google.
My googling found several people with this problem. I would wager more have it, but don't even know it. Hopefully it doesn't apply to all their remote starts.

The Evo-one I had wound up causing all kinds of weird electrical issues. It was so bad, that the only way I could start the car was with the remote, but then the rest of the car was actually *off*, if you can believe that. No dash light, no gauges, no nothing. I couldn't get it into gear, either. And here's the worst part: I COULDN'T EVEN TURN THE ENGINE BACK OFF!

When I finally did limp the car home and got the engine to switch off, the throttle body valve was rapidly fluttering! Yes, caused by the Fortin!

And the technical support? Non-existent. Their response was, "Contact the dealer you bought it from for any help." Yeah, well, Walmart don't know s*** about car electronics. Luckily mine failed at 28 days after installation, so I was able to return it for a full refund. Other than that, I would have been out hundreds of dollars.

With all of the horror stories out there, in addition to my own experience, I would stay as far away from Fortin as possible.

The Evo-one I had wound up causing all kinds of weird electrical issues. It was so bad, that the only way I could start the car was with the remote, but then the rest of the car was actually *off*, if you can believe that. No dash light, no gauges, no nothing. I couldn't get it into gear, either. And here's the worst part: I COULDN'T EVEN TURN THE ENGINE BACK OFF!

When I finally did limp the car home and got the engine to switch off, the throttle body valve was rapidly fluttering! Yes, caused by the Fortin!

And the technical support? Non-existent. Their response was, "Contact the dealer you bought it from for any help." Yeah, well, Walmart don't know s*** about car electronics. Luckily mine failed at 28 days after installation, so I was able to return it for a full refund. Other than that, I would have been out hundreds of dollars.

With all of the horror stories out there, in addition to my own experience, I would stay as far away from Fortin as possible.
this 100% sounds like you got a bad unit or harness. I don't have any problems like that with my remote start, and neither does anyone I've seen online as long as they didn't try to manually solder wires instead of use a harness. I suspect the only real issue common with the fortin is that it resets the ecu in Mazdas, although I don't know if it will make me fail inspection since I'm not due for that for another year

Causing the car to fail inspections is absolutely bush league. That alone shows that the product is extremely ill conceived and has no business being sold.

They need to be recalled just for that. And yes, recalled, and fixed for free.

I wonder if anyone has made complaints to the DOT, NHTSA, or EPA yet?

FYI I didn't solder anything. I used the T-Harness and installed the Fortin Evo One following the Youtube videos. It's been working fine the past 10 months except this happened.

You can try remote start and plug in a scanner see if it resets your ECU. Not sure if it's the entire ECU but at least the Emission Readiness had to be re-tested.

I’ve only had issues with passing inspection. No electrical issues and works every time. Unsure why it resets the emissions system each time. Does anyone know of another system that doesn’t shut off when you open the door?

I’ve only had issues with passing inspection. No electrical issues and works every time. Unsure why it resets the emissions system each time.
It is killing power to the computer, so more than just emissions are being effected. Emissions just takes longer to re-learn, so us humans may notice that, where other monitors re-learn within minutes or a few hours rather than days and days.

Does anyone know of another system that doesn’t shut off when you open the door?
Any remote start on the market, wired properly. The problem with Mazda's shutting off when the door is opened is from not using the remote start key fob; people want to use the factory key fob and this is the net result. I currently have a Compustar and it does not do this, nor has any other remote start I have had or used over the years.

I watched a video yesterday showing how a poorly installed remote start can cause a world of problems. Worth the watch....

Any remote start on the market, wired properly. The problem with Mazda's shutting off when the door is opened is from not using the remote start key fob; people want to use the factory key fob and this is the net result. I currently have a Compustar and it does not do this, nor has any other remote start I have had or used over the years.
So a Compustar with Dronemobile would accomplish the same thing but not use my key fob? Seeing the issues has left me with some healthy skepticism, but I don’t want to carry another fob

Back