0w20 or 5w20

Running 0W-30 or 5W-30 actually is also recommended for SkyActiv-G 2.5L by Mazda worldwide other than North America.

Yes, I did agree with GJ-Molester’s point at the time that by using the 5W-30 our SkyActiv-G 2.5L will be quieter (and may be even better off with 5W-30).
Well, After a few days of driving and listening, I can honestly say my car is running quieter and with less clatter with the 0W30 oil in it than it did before with the old 0W20 oil.
I'm already thinking of going 5W30 on my next one. I'm happy so far.

Well, After a few days of driving and listening, I can honestly say my car is running quieter and with less clatter with the 0W30 oil in it than it did before with the old 0W20 oil.
I'm already thinking of going 5W30 on my next one. I'm happy so far.
With many people’s experience now including your report, I’ll seriously consider to use 5W-30 oil after my currently stock of Mazda moly 0W-20 oil depleted, specifically the newer Idemitsu 5W-30 SP / GF-6 oil with many other advantages such as timing chain wear protection.

2E2A61B3-6485-4CEF-8EE7-CBAF30A1EA5F.png

I guess I will be an outlier and stick with my Mazda moly. Vehicle doesn't burn any noticeable oil and even with slight timing cover weep dipstick is at non-noticeable level drop. I guess I need to look at intake valve cleaning at some point though.

I will be doing another oil level check before I do my oil change this upcoming weekend, but after I got the pan resealed, seems to have solved a lot of my oil going away problems.

I will be doing another oil level check before I do my oil change this upcoming weekend, but after I got the pan resealed, seems to have solved a lot of my oil going away problems.
Are you going to try that new GF-6 oil which is supposed to have many great benefits? And are you going to stick with 5W-30 oil?

Are you going to try that new GF-6 oil which is supposed to have many great benefits? And are you going to stick with 5W-30 oil?
Well I have a jug left of the 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum in the garage that I plan to use, but after that I will definitely be checking out this Idemitsu GF-6 oil in 5w30.

I like the idea of using 5w-30 in the summer. To the guys who switched, how much lower is your MPG using the heavier oil?

From the lower end of the engine dragging. For example walking through air we can walk fast but walking through water in a swimming pool we use more energy to go the same speed.

cant offer any scientific evidence, only real life experience. back in the day when there was no google, you tube or BITOG, just the neighborhood gearhead. the oil of choice for US vehicles was 10W-30 and for most imports 10W-40. ive stuck with 10W-30 for most of my 40 years of diy oil changes.
proud to say ive owned X2 chevys with over 300k, X2 datsuns/nissans with over 400k, a few toyotas and hondas with over 250k. oil of choice was 10W-30.
todays engines and engine oils are way more advanced. now the emphasis is on mpg vs protection, government keeps pushing for less pollution and better mpg.
after reading this thread, it confirms 5W-30 is superior for protection vs 0W-20 for mpg. our 14 cx5 still gets 28/32, but for our driving habits and climate (down south in the mountains) it just makes sense to use 5W-30.

btw if i dont forget, ill keep a fuel log on mpg with fill ups and dash mpg data. kinda curious myself on the 0W-20 vs 5W-30 mpg.

thank you

My last change was 3300 miles ago using Idemitsu 5w-30. All prior changes were 0w-20 and I can say that the oil is considerably cleaner at this mileage than the previous Castrol 0w-20. Although there is probably some contribution to cleanliness due to the finer filtration of the Fram Ultra Synthetic instead of the prior Mobil 1filter, I feel there is less blowby with the heavier oil. My "seat of the pants dyno" noticed better "pull" with the 5w-30. Just my take on the issue.

Running 0W-30 or 5W-30 actually is also recommended for SkyActiv-G 2.5L by Mazda worldwide other than North America.

View attachment 298855
View attachment 298856

1658924611730.png

Thanks for posting this. It's time for an oil change, searched heavier oils and CX-5 in Google, and this thread came up. I'm going to switch to 5W-30. I'm in a year round hot climate so there's no need for 0W oil.

Ordered this Mobil1 synthetic 5W-30 ($26.47) and a Purolator filter ($11.50).

1658924245463.png

1658924289937.png

View attachment 311897

Thanks for posting this. It's time for an oil change, searched heavier oils and CX-5 in Google, and this thread came up. I'm going to switch to 5W-30. I'm in a year round hot climate so there's no need for 0W oil.

Ordered this Mobil1 synthetic 5W-30 ($26.47) and a Purolator filter ($11.50).

View attachment 311891

View attachment 311892
"no need", but it's better to
you always want the thinnest cold viscosity oil possible, to reduce start up wear, reduce fuel consumption during cold starts

I run 0W oils on all my cars where possible, there's no difference in protection or viscosity after the engine warms up compared to 5W or 10W, etc oils

Back