What have you done to your MSP today?

The ride quality sucks for an old guy like me. Car bounces and bounds over bumps like a lowrider on hydraulics. Some adjustment might have improved it, but I went to lift the car and the perches seem pretty frozen which caused the spanner to bend.

How much for used coils ;)

No clue. After they are off and cleaned up, I'll likely post them on here. Need to make sure the threads and/or perches aren't damaged. I think corrosion on a Chicago car is why I couldn't get them to adjust but if hitting the threads with a wire brush and pb blaster can't get the perch adjustment working, they aren't worth too much...

im in the market for a good set of used coilovers. just saying.

I picked up a pair of reman msp front calipers today and one rotor as my driver side caliper has been sticking. gonna get to installing that this week when daylight allows. for the cost of these calipers though i could eat the core and upgrade to mazda 6 brakes SUPER cheap... these cost me $380 cdn with a rotor and brake fluid with core and all that. for some reason i thought they would be way more expensive.
so ill prob get a set of mazda 6 s front brakes in 2017 and upgrade my wife with these msp front brakes.

The MSP intake manifold has slightly more robust VICS flaps and screws, they didn't fall under the recall Mazda put out back in the day. I know it sounds crazy but I have taken my MSP manifold and the stock DE mani apart when I did a motor swap in one of my MSPs and they do appear slightly different. It's still possible the screws are backing out but unlikely.

Boostr if you need injectors I have a couple extra sets. I don't think injector seals would cause such a large leak but it's worth a shot.

My engine internally is the same as when it came from the factory. Just plenty of bolt ons over the years. And at this point I am going to give the fuel injector seal kit a shot as there is definitely something going on in cylinders 2 & 3 and its not the engine itself as borne out by my earlier compression check.

I'm just trying to eliminate things and with its age some of the seals could have compressed. I don't know maybe its just time for car to run like s*** after all of these years of running great. My 90 Probe GT gave me no such problems and ran strong even when I sold it with 216,000 miles. But that was engineered by Mazda to be a turbo car and not a port/dealer assembly!

I'll send you a PM about the extra injectors. Thanks.

im in the market for a good set of used coilovers. just saying.

I picked up a pair of reman msp front calipers today and one rotor as my driver side caliper has been sticking. gonna get to installing that this week when daylight allows. for the cost of these calipers though i could eat the core and upgrade to mazda 6 brakes SUPER cheap... these cost me $380 cdn with a rotor and brake fluid with core and all that. for some reason i thought they would be way more expensive.
so ill prob get a set of mazda 6 s front brakes in 2017 and upgrade my wife with these msp front brakes.

The 6 brakes aren't really an upgrade for the MSP, Speed 6 brakes are. I wouldn't spend the money to upgrade to the regular MZ6 setup.

there is definitely something going on in cylinders 2 & 3 and its not the engine itself as borne out by my earlier compression check. .
You can't rule out a base engine issue unless you've also done a leak down test... You may be building sufficient pressure, but can the engine maintain it...

The 3 L brakes are a fair amount larger but the cost to go to reman ms6 brakes isnt significant. I just dont have 17" winter tires atm. Ill look into it further when the weather is better. Gonna try to put an exhaust and ems in the car next year and some little suspension things.

The only reason I see to upgrade unless you track the car is for the visual effect of larger rotors. I am pretty happy with the stock brakes, stainless lines and ceramic pads and I track my MSP a few times a year.

i just want the brakes to fill the 17" wheel better. but the stockers are pretty good. changed the calipers tonight and what a difference. car feels like it dropped 1000 lbs. tommorrow im gonna change the injector orings which should solve any vac leaks i might have. when the weather gets a little nicer ill plan to do the timing belt, waterpump and headgasket and any other little s*** i feel like while im at it. playing catch up a little bit. car has 153km now. its gonna go up pretty quick with my commute. unless i get another car.

Took 1552 and got an alignment today. I think it is safe to say she is actually now roadworthy! I'm so excited!

MSPAlignment.jpg

Last edited:
pretty crazy difference the injector seals made.. car actually runs properly now. doesn't stumble or any of that. i used the non ridged ones i guess the 626 ones? all the ones that came out were very hard... next will be to put the hawk pads back in the rear and fix my trunk leak. then i might refresh the interior with some nicer seats, or i could leave the ones i have now in there and stockpile the nicer ones til later.

it was a seal kit that services one injector. comes with two lower seals which i assume one is for protege and one for 626, an oring and seal for the top of the injector that slides into the rail. its beck arnley brand and cost $5. though msrp was $20. that would have been too much for what it is.
I picked them up from lordco so any parts store should have or be able to get them. of course rock auto has them.

this guy http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=928498&cc=1416833&jsn=339

Got my Steedspeed in the mail Saturday, need to order some studs to secure the turbo. May get some ARPs. Picking up a low mileage T25 this week as well.

I'm struggling with a decision...

I don't know if i should get a fidanza flywheel or stock. I don't want to not get one, and start driving and want one... but then again, I don't want to spend the money on one if for whatever reason I sell the car.. seems like a huge waste of 200-350.00

can get the stock one lightened a bit. some complain the revs drop too fast on the 7 pounder, some say they dont notice a difference. -shrugs- i've driven a friends mp3 that had one installed but i didn't even notice a difference. that was a longgggg time ago too.

Last edited:
I cant really tell any difference with the lw flywheel at all...

I have the fidanza and a spec 2+ clutch and I notice a big difference. The car will stall easier from a stop, and it's more difficult to engage the clutch which is a combination of the grabby clutch and light flywheel but it's a side effect. It does seem to rev quicker and the RPMs drop faster between shifts. I would say it's worth it, every bit counts.

Back