What have you done to your CX-5 today?

azcx5

2021 GT-R SRCM with Parchment
Took it in for the first oil change yesterday at 1,500 miles (free oil change). Service mgr was very helpful and considerate, very pleasant experience. He also updated the infotainment system to 11026 as a courtesy, no charge. Offered to wash my car but i just finished adding ceramic coating to the paint and it needed to sit a couple of weeks before washing. Asked him about adding an oil catch can - he thought it was a good idea and they would still cover any engine warranty issues. Said he hadn't seen one on a CX-5 yet but lots of Miatas with them.

Since we got the car I have added:
- Clear PPF on the front end, full hood, front fenders, mirrors, top of roof in front of the moonroof, A pillars, top of rear bumper to reduce scratches when loading trunk
- Black PPF on the B and C pillars.
- Body side trim to minimize door dings,
- CX-5 illuminated door sills (touch of class)
- Hood struts (really like these) so no messing around with the hood support rod and they open the hood higher
- Nav card
- Ceramic coat on paint and wheels

Considering some other accessories/projects over the next several months like interior LED lighting kit, oil catch can, magnetic drain plug by next oil change in 6 mos, more storage containers for the rear hatch organization, all season floor mats, better tires (wider, better grip). Stuff to keep me busy for a little while.I'm sure i'll add to the list as we live with the car more.

First big road trip Friday. Driving to Santa Fe, NM and Pagosa Springs, CO for a couple of weeks. I'm sure we'll get some more ideas on that trip. Maybe need some fly rod holders or something like that.

:
Phoenix
:
2020 CX5 signature
He also updated the infotainment system to 11026 as a courtesy, no charge.
Not to discount how nice he was, just to throw this out there to everyone - 3 yr warranty will include infotainment updates. At least that's what my service advisor said - had mine done at the time of the tail gate bulletin fix.

azcx5

2021 GT-R SRCM with Parchment
Not to discount how nice he was, just to throw this out there to everyone - 3 yr warranty will include infotainment updates. At least that's what my service advisor said - had mine done at the time of the tail gate bulletin fix.
Someone posted elsewhere that his dealer billed labor for doing this as it wasn't a "maintenance" repair, rather an optional software update. And I didn't ask if all updates are covered. Maybe dealers have some descretion on this?

:
2019 CX-5 GT-R
Morning wash and a coat of Klasse. I don't always love this blue, but it shines bright in the sun!

Attachments

• 20210718_121431.jpg
    20210718_121431.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 30
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
dang Klasse is old school! I still have a bottle of HGSG and AIO sealant. But that's old-school tech. Newer coatings and sealants look and perform better. My bottles are probably 17+ years old, not sure if still any good or not.

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto
I restored my ‘13 headlights using the Meguiars heavy duty kit. It took about an hour and the results were really good. My headlights weren’t too bad but they were starting to yellow and had some pitting along the top portions. You have to apply the sealant pretty quickly though. I applied the sealant to one light and waited about a minute before I moved on to the other. The sealant had already started to dry on the applicator and caused the second headlight to start drying with a haze. I buffed it all off the second light and had to reapply the sealant with a new clean applicator. Both are as good as new and curing now.

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD titanium/black 2016 Miata Club ST MT white
Changed the oil using OEM stuff.

It's been a year since my last change and the flex system told me that I was at 0%. In that year I've driven less than 3k miles. Between the pandemic and driving my MX as much as possible I've not had the CX out all that much. Most of these miles were winter driving since I don't take the MX out during snow season. Plus I have my truck and motorcycle that need some love too.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Last edited:
:
2018 CX-5 Sport
A couple years ago I bought these Crush Washers. They were only $4.99 for 20 at the time. $8.99 is still a good price and it may be enough for the lifetime of the car. I can recondition them and use them more than once.

yrwei52

Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
A couple years ago I bought these Crush Washers. They were only $4.99 for 20 at the time. $8.99 is still a good price
20 aluminum washers, $4.99 -> $8.99 in 2 years, a 80% increase!

That’s just an indication that how bad the inflation is nowadays! Price for most consumer goods have gone up not just 5%, but 30%、50%、80%、or even doubled!

and it may be enough for the lifetime of the car.
I purchased 21 Japanese Tokyo Roki PE01-14-302A oil filters from Med Center Mazda in Nov. 2016 when this filter was phasing out in US market. This 20-washer pack does fit my need.

I can recondition them and use them more than once.
Do you really do that? It’s supposed to be one-time use only though. I’d admit I reused this aluminum washer a couple of times before when I didn’t notice I’d run out of the drain plug washers. It’d never leaked.

Be aware though, those aluminum washer pack mentioned by you (Prime Ave) and Conrad 16.5 (AOIT), and many others sold online, are NOT Mazda genuine OEM aluminum drain plug washers, even though they all list the Mazda part number 9956-41-400.

A0310728-0C3D-4E5B-A91D-A4D3DB3F7B88.png

Last edited:
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
There are other reviews of that product that show them being identical to OEM.

I never have to bother with them since I use Mazda oil filters, which always include the washer.

yrwei52

Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA

I never have to bother with them since I use Mazda oil filters, which always include the washer.
Meeting the specs or not, my point was only to emphasize those multiple packs, they all have Mazda part number 9956-41-400 mixed in the description, are NOT Mazda OEM drain plug aluminum washers, but made by “Prime Ave” and “AOIT”. So don’t mistake them as the Mazda product 9956-41-400.

Yes most car dealers will include a drain plug aluminum washer with each OEM oil filter sold.

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD titanium/black 2016 Miata Club ST MT white

I've purchased many oil filters over my lifetime but I have never received a crush washer with my purchase.

Thanks for the replies guys!

:
2014 CX-5 Touring
I guess I should say that I've only ever ordered the oil change kits, with Moly oil and Mazda filter, and they always come with a washer along with each filter.

My point is that an aluminum drain plug washer is not a critical part by any means. It does not have to be original OEM Mazda for it to still function 100% as designed and intended.

I have a drawer full of Dorman M14 aluminum drain plug washers for my Integra, and I can guarantee they would work just fine on a CX-5.