Need used car, trying not to make bad decision about 2015 CX-5. Help!

How bout we throw in the rust factor......regardless of vehicle or mileage, one of my main concerns would be least rust possible. odometer knows nothing about rust and that alone can make an otherwise reliable car unreliable in a different way.

How bout we throw in the rust factor......regardless of vehicle or mileage, one of my main concerns would be least rust possible. odometer knows nothing about rust and that alone can make an otherwise reliable car unreliable in a different way.
Yes if a vehicle like CX-5 and Mazda3 didn’t get additional rust-proofing when it was new, the rust can be a problem:

Undercarriage Rust

Here are comparison pictures between @Fish1’s CX-5 and Toyota Matrix from Southern New Hampshire:
Rust like that after a few years even with heavy use of salt I believe is unacceptable with today's coatings and materials to look worse than a car that is 13 years old is not acceptable. How can Mazda get away with this? I love how this car drives and looks but also want one that will last. Also very happy with fuel economy so far getting around 30.5MPG on my 100 mile round trip commute.

2005 toyota matrix/pontiac vibe - 225K miles driving 100 miles a day
attachment.php

View attachment 216618

2014 CX-5 (seen 2 winters) -28K miles
attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 216616
View attachment 216617

22 year old daughter just got her license and immediately moved to Maine to work on schooners. She says she wants a car. Why? I don't know. She's on boats most of the week. But that one day off, she wants to drive places.

She's pretty flush with cash and could probably buy a new car outright. But she also wants to save money (for...a boat? I dunno). I'm trying very hard to discourage her from buying a junker, and Maine seems to have a tempting and infinite supply of old Volvos to choose from.

I digress.

She said the most she'll spend is $14,000. I want her to have something safe, low-ish mileage, less than 10 years old. Feels impossible.

So far, found a 2015 CX-5 Touring, 109,000 miles, one owner, clean CarFax, looks like basic oil change and tire rotations done, but no mention of things like spark plugs, transmission fluid changes, etc. Seemed to drive fine, but I'm driving a 2010 CRV, so everything feels great next to that. Also, not low miles...but...?

Also found a 2015 Mazda 3 sedan, 69,000 miles, clean CarFax. Haven't driven that yet.

Both similarly priced at @ $14,000. Is this throwing good money after bad?

I want her to have something reliable and safe, safe, safe. (Also looking at Subaru Legacy. Like the AWD.)

Do I try to convince her to buy new?

I know she's an adult, but as a new driver and still willing to listen to me, I want to use my Mom Powers for good.

Thanks in advance for any BTDT thoughts/advice/therapy/hand-holding, etc. ;)
CX-5 is a good car the engine will probably out last most and it has a great transmission that they invented automatic clutch system had a Mitsubishi Outlander never had a problem with it till about 140,000 miles but I always change tranny fluids and transfer case oils on all wheel drive cars every 40 50,000 good luck

"One other note, I’ve seen many pictures including here that the rust is an issue in NE on Mazda vehicles. Check the under body making sure the rust problem isn’t too severe."

This is only an issue on the older models, like 2011-12 and older. And Maine doesn't use salt on their roads.

This is only an issue on the older models, like 2011-12 and older. And Maine doesn't use salt on their roads.
It you actually read the link to another thread with many pictures showing undercarriage rust on CX-5’s, and the attached post by @Fish1 with comparison pictures, that he has a 2014 CX-5 (not too old) compared to his 2005 Toyota Matrix from Southern New Hampshire. You can compare the rust condition by yourself.

Yes if a vehicle like CX-5 and Mazda3 didn’t get additional rust-proofing when it was new, the rust can be a problem:

Undercarriage Rust

Here are comparison pictures between @Fish1’s CX-5 and Toyota Matrix from Southern New Hampshire:
Taking car to body shop before purchasing. Car dealer giving me a long leash to get everything checked out. Is it possible there might be rust damage a body shop might miss?

Taking car to body shop before purchasing. Car dealer giving me a long leash to get everything checked out. Is it possible there might be rust damage a body shop might miss?
Are you talking about the CX-5 (for your daughter) or the Mazda3 (for yourself;))? Honestly any body shop should be able to show you if there’s any severe rust damage.

BTW, if you’re getting the Mazda3 from a Mazda dealer, make sure to ask if the vehicle comes with the excellent Mazda CPO warranty.

I can’t predict the future but I plan to keep my ‘15 (purchased new summer of 2014) for at least 20 years as I have other vehicles. Seeing the number of very high mileage 1st gen CX-5s now out there I think that is a realistic goal.

Just purchased the 2015 CX-5 Touring. Before purchasing, brought to our mechanic who did a thorough inspection, said it was in great shape, no rust. Only thing we'll need soon is new tires before winter (which I was going to do anyway). Comes with a 3,000 mile dealer warranty on the big stuff. I may have a hard time handing this off to my kiddo!

I drove the Mazda 3 and it was a peppy little car. But overall, felt the AWD and added bulk of the CX-5 was a better fit for now.

Thanks all for your help on this! I feel as confident as possible with this purchase!

Just purchased the 2015 CX-5 Touring. Before purchasing, brought to our mechanic who did a thorough inspection, said it was in great shape, no rust. Only thing we'll need soon is new tires before winter (which I was going to do anyway). Comes with a 3,000 mile dealer warranty on the big stuff. I may have a hard time handing this off to my kiddo!
In addition to a set of new tires, you also need:

For the 2015 CX-5 with 109,000 miles it’s time to change the ATF (drain-and-fill only and use only Mazda ATF FZ) and spark plugs (OEM or NGK equivalent) if these maintenance have never been done. It also needs the coolant change with Mazda FL-22 coolant as it’s almost due for its 10-year maintenance interval. And change the gear lube (Mazda gear oil SG1 only) in front transfer case and rear differential if it’s an AWD.

Had car checked and serviced at three different garages. No rust. Everyone at garages said it's a solid little car. Just put new spark plugs in. Drove it to Maine this week. Super peppy! Daughter will be bringing it home to Pennsylvania in October. We'll keep an eye out for rust and do what we need to to stay on top. Any positive, proactive suggestions welcome. 🙂

Had car checked and serviced at three different garages. No rust. Everyone at garages said it's a solid little car. Just put new spark plugs in. Drove it to Maine this week. Super peppy! Daughter will be bringing it home to Pennsylvania in October. We'll keep an eye out for rust and do what we need to to stay on top. Any positive, proactive suggestions welcome. 🙂
See post #31 above.

Back