Need used car, trying not to make bad decision about 2015 CX-5. Help!

22 year old daughter just got her license and immediately moved to Maine to work on schooners. She says she wants a car. Why? I don't know. She's on boats most of the week. But that one day off, she wants to drive places.

She's pretty flush with cash and could probably buy a new car outright. But she also wants to save money (for...a boat? I dunno). I'm trying very hard to discourage her from buying a junker, and Maine seems to have a tempting and infinite supply of old Volvos to choose from.

I digress.

She said the most she'll spend is $14,000. I want her to have something safe, low-ish mileage, less than 10 years old. Feels impossible.

So far, found a 2015 CX-5 Touring, 109,000 miles, one owner, clean CarFax, looks like basic oil change and tire rotations done, but no mention of things like spark plugs, transmission fluid changes, etc. Seemed to drive fine, but I'm driving a 2010 CRV, so everything feels great next to that. Also, not low miles...but...?

Also found a 2015 Mazda 3 sedan, 69,000 miles, clean CarFax. Haven't driven that yet.

Both similarly priced at @ $14,000. Is this throwing good money after bad?

I want her to have something reliable and safe, safe, safe. (Also looking at Subaru Legacy. Like the AWD.)

Do I try to convince her to buy new?

I know she's an adult, but as a new driver and still willing to listen to me, I want to use my Mom Powers for good.

Thanks in advance for any BTDT thoughts/advice/therapy/hand-holding, etc. ;)

Last edited:
All three of those choices, MZ3, CR-V, and CX-5 are rock solid.
If the price is the same, go for the lowest mileage, regardless of year.

I might get the Mazda 3 for myself. :)

My daughter likes the CX-5 because bigger size. Used car dealer said the brakes are low side of passing so he'll put new brakes on and let me take it home and drive it for a few days, take it to my mechanic, etc. If she wants the CX-5 in spite of higher mileage, is 109,000 miles too late to do all the catch-up routine maintenance? (fluids, plugs, etc.)

No, it's fine.
For ATF, drop the pan and change the filter, change the plugs using *only* NGK Laser Iridium, not even the NGK Iridium IX, and inspect everything else, and repair as needed.

22 year old daughter just got her license and immediately moved to Maine to work on schooners. She says she wants a car. Why? I don't know. She's on boats most of the week. But that one day off, she wants to drive places.

She's pretty flush with cash and could probably buy a new car outright. But she also wants to save money (for...a boat? I dunno). I'm trying very hard to discourage her from buying a junker, and Maine seems to have a tempting and infinite supply of old Volvos to choose from.

I digress.

She said the most she'll spend is $14,000. I want her to have something safe, low-ish mileage, less than 10 years old. Feels impossible.

So far, found a 2015 CX-5 Touring, 109,000 miles, one owner, clean CarFax, looks like basic oil change and tire rotations done, but no mention of things like spark plugs, transmission fluid changes, etc. Seemed to drive fine, but I'm driving a 2010 CRV, so everything feels great next to that. Also, not low miles...but...?

Also found a 2015 Mazda 3 sedan, 69,000 miles, clean CarFax. Haven't driven that yet.

Both similarly priced at @ $14,000. Is this throwing good money after bad?

I want her to have something reliable and safe, safe, safe. (Also looking at Subaru Legacy. Like the AWD.)

Do I try to convince her to buy new?

I know she's an adult, but as a new driver and still willing to listen to me, I want to use my Mom Powers for good.

Thanks in advance for any BTDT thoughts/advice/therapy/hand-holding, etc. ;)
My daughter faced a similar dilemma getting her first car last year. I suggested her to get a lowest-priced most-reliable new car if she can afford it. IMO there’re too many variables getting a used car and you never know for sure how the maintenance been done; and the true history it would be even with clean CarFax. She listened and put a $500 deposit, waited for 6 months, and paid MSRP to get a Pearl White 2022 Toyota Corolla Hatchback XSE. And so far she has no regrets and love the car.

Among 2 choices you listed, can you tell the trim level on the 2015 Mazda3 sedan, as the base Mazda3 has a 2.0L but the Mazda3 S has a 2.5L? And is the 2015 CX-5 Touring an AWD which is an optional feature?

Without any further info on these 2 vehicles, I personally would choose the lower mileage one, the 2015 Mazda3 sedan. But you should know the interior of the Mazda3 sedan is pretty cramped, and make sure your daughter can tolerate this drawback.

For the 2015 CX-5 with 109,000 miles it’s time to change the ATF (drain-and-fill only and use only Mazda ATF FZ) and spark plugs (OEM or NGK equivalent) if these maintenance have never been done. It also needs the coolant change with Mazda FL-22 coolant as it’s almost due for its 10-year maintenance interval. And change the gear lube (Mazda gear oil SG1 only) in front transfer case and rear differential if it’s an AWD.

For the 2015 Mazda3 sedan with 69,000 miles, similar maintenance apples.

Last edited:
I'm trying very hard to discourage her from buying a junker, and Maine seems to have a tempting and infinite supply of old Volvos to choose from.
i think you may have found your answer right here. they last forever if cared for and their values drop like sherman tanks falling out of a military plane.

You really don't understand why an adult needs a car? Especially in a place like Maine? Not exactly New York City. Is she LIVING on the schooner? Assume not and she needs to get back and forth to said schooner. Can't really boat to the grocery store.

CX5 OR CRV all day. It snows in Maine.

Last edited:
My daughter faced a similar dilemma getting her first car last year. I suggested her to get a lowest-priced most-reliable new car if she can afford it. IMO there’re too many variables getting a used car and you never know for sure how the maintenance been done; and the true history it would be even with clean CarFax. She listened and put a $500 deposit, waited for 6 months, and paid MSRP to get a Pearl White 2022 Toyota Corolla Hatchback XSE. And so far she has no regrets and love the car.

Among 2 choices you listed, can you tell the trim level on the 2015 Mazda3 sedan, as the base Mazda3 has a 2.0L but the Mazda3 S has a 2.5L? And is the 2015 CX-5 Touring an AWD which is an optional feature?

Without any further info on these 2 vehicles, I personally would choose the lower mileage one, the 2015 Mazda3 sedan. But you should know the interior of the Mazda3 sedan is pretty cramped, and make sure your daughter can tolerate this drawback.

For the 2015 CX-5 with 109,000 miles it’s time to change the ATF (drain-and-fill only and use only Mazda ATF FZ) and spark plugs (OEM or NGK equivalent) if these maintenance have never been done. It also needs the coolant change with Mazda FL-22 coolant as it’s overdue for its 10-year maintenance interval. And change the gear lube (Mazda gear oil SG1 only) in front transfer case and rear differential if it’s an AWD.

For the 2015 Mazda3 sedan with 69,000 miles, similar maintenance apples.
I wish she would just buy new, but I do think she is thinking about returning to school to finish her degree and wants to keep some savings on hand, not have a car payment plus, I'm guessing, higher insurance on something brand new? (Probably not by much.) Although, new car, not as much in the garage...but she wants something "right now," which...ugh, kids.

I do like the sedan. I'm going to test drive it today. It's a 2.0L, OTD price is $14,850 but it's been sitting there a while with price dropping every other week.

And yes, the CX-5 is AWD, which I'd feel better about her driving. That one is $14, 470 before the tax/tag.

Thanks so much for your feedback. I wish we were in the position to just buy her something new, but we have two cars with 170,000+ in our driveway right now and I *do* want a new car. :) I'm at that old-lady age where I need to start looking at Outbacks. ;)

You really don't understand why an adult needs a car? Especially in a place like Maine? Not exactly New York City. Is she LIVING on the schooner? Assume not and she needs to get back and forth to said schooner. Can't really boat to the grocery store.

CX5 OR CRV all day. It snows in Maine.
Right now, she's teaching sailing lessons 6 days a week and there's a little town up the road that she bikes to. Later, she'll move back on to the schooner, yes, she lives on it, out at sea 6 days a week, docks in town one day, a walk away from everything. She'll be home in PA in October.
And yeah, I get it, she wants a car. Ultimately, I have no problem with that BUT she did just get her driver's license in June, so I'd prefer safe and reliable and don't want her to rush into buying something she's going to drive out to a hiking trail (which she might) beyond cell service and have the car fall apart. I mean, she's a capable kid, but I'm still Mom and I get to worry a bit. :)

And yes, the AWD feels necessary. CRVs are all crazy priced right now, but they seem pretty bullet proof. Subaru Legacy is also a choice.

i think you may have found your answer right here. they last forever if cared for and their values drop like sherman tanks falling out of a military plane.
I love old Volvos. Up until last year, I was driving a 1991 240 station wagon to haul fishing gear, great for camping in. My mechanic had to have an intervention with me when the car rust was beyond repair and he told me it was time to let go. I loved that car. Felt like vacation in New England every day. ;)

CX-5 sounds like a good fit. Something new would be nice, but then as you said, it would be sitting a lot. The higher mileage on the CX-5 isn't really a concern once all of the basic maintenance is out of the way, and mileage will creep up very slowly during her ownership, so the car should last her a long time. These cars have been documented to go well over 300k. Check out this thread here.

Additionally, I'd say the 1st gen CX-5 is a great first car for a young adult. Besides the maintenance items, make sure she gets a good set of all-weather tires or a separate set of winter tires, and she's set.

CX-5 sounds like a good fit. Something new would be nice, but then as you said, it would be sitting a lot. The higher mileage on the CX-5 isn't really a concern once all of the basic maintenance is out of the way, and mileage will creep up very slowly during her ownership, so the car should last her a long time. These cars have been documented to go well over 300k. Check out this thread here.

Additionally, I'd say the 1st gen CX-5 is a great first car for a young adult. Besides the maintenance items, make sure she gets a good set of all-weather tires or a separate set of winter tires, and she's set.
Thanks. I feel like I'm trying to talk myself into this car (which, trying to keep emotion out car buying), but probably for good reason. I'll talk to dealer today. For the maintenance, best to go to trusted mechanic or dealership?

I wish she would just buy new, but I do think she is thinking about returning to school to finish her degree and wants to keep some savings on hand, not have a car payment plus, I'm guessing, higher insurance on something brand new? (Probably not by much.) Although, new car, not as much in the garage...but she wants something "right now," which...ugh, kids.
My daughter waited several years after graduated from college and saved some money to get her first car. She needed a car as she moved out of the city (SF) to the suburban.

I do like the sedan. I'm going to test drive it today. It's a 2.0L, OTD price is $14,850 but it's been sitting there a while with price dropping every other week.
Mazda’s SkyActiv-G 2.0L actually has better design than the 2.5L as it doesn’t need the additional and heavy balance shaft to fight the vibration on the 2.5L. I’d prefer a 2.0L instead of a 2.5L especially on a compact sedan the Mazda3.

Supply and demand, somehow the sales on Mazda3 could never catch up those popular compact sedans like Toyota Corolla. Hence the used car market on Mazda3 is also pretty weak. Price dropping on that Mazda3 is expected. One other note, I’ve seen many pictures including here that the rust is an issue in NE on Mazda vehicles. Check the underbody making sure the rust problem isn’t too severe.

And yes, the CX-5 is AWD, which I'd feel better about her driving. That one is $14, 470 before the tax/tag.
An AWD definitely is a plus driving in the NE during winter time.

Thanks so much for your feedback. I wish we were in the position to just buy her something new, but we have two cars with 170,000+ in our driveway right now and I *do* want a new car. :) I'm at that old-lady age where I need to start looking at Outbacks. ;)
Keep us posted.

Thanks. I feel like I'm trying to talk myself into this car (which, trying to keep emotion out car buying), but probably for good reason. I'll talk to dealer today. For the maintenance, best to go to trusted mechanic or dealership?

Trusted mechanic for everything outside of warranty work or recall work (y)

As others have mentioned above, stick with Mazda fluids. The only other thing to note is that if the car has an electronic parking brake, you'll need to make sure that whoever services the brakes knows to put the car into Maintenance mode for rear brake work.

The Mazda3 is also a great option, but the extra space of the CX-5 makes it the better car to grow with. And the AWD and extra ground clearance is more forgiving in snowy conditions for new drivers.

Trusted mechanic for everything outside of warranty work or recall work (y)

As others have mentioned above, stick with Mazda fluids. The only other thing to note is that if the car has an electronic parking brake, you'll need to make sure that whoever services the brakes knows to put the car into Maintenance mode for rear brake work.

The Mazda3 is also a great option, but the extra space of the CX-5 makes it the better car to grow with. And the AWD and extra ground clearance is more forgiving in snowy conditions for new drivers.
Thanks! Will do!
And I won't screw up the transmission by doing drain-and-fill at 109,000 m.? Just need added confidence boosting on this. I almost made the mistake of touching the transmission fluid on a 2010 CRV with high mileage (+150,000 m) that had never had a change before. One mechanic told me to do a similar drain-and-fill, another said the old fluid was the only thing holding the transmission together. Just crossed 170,000, so knock on wood.

Thanks! Will do!
And I won't screw up the transmission by doing drain-and-fill at 109,000 m.? Just need added confidence boosting on this. I almost made the mistake of touching the transmission fluid on a 2010 CRV with high mileage (+150,000 m) that had never had a change before. One mechanic told me to do a similar drain-and-fill, another said the old fluid was the only thing holding the transmission together. Just crossed 170,000, so knock on wood.

ATF...Change or not?

Back