What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Changed the oil using OEM stuff.

It's been a year since my last change and the flex system told me that I was at 0%. In that year I've driven less than 3k miles. Between the pandemic and driving my MX as much as possible I've not had the CX out all that much. Most of these miles were winter driving since I don't take the MX out during snow season. Plus I have my truck and motorcycle that need some love too.

I used up the last of my crush washers but I don't have a part number.

Anyone know if these are the correct washers?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
Part no. for drain plug crush washer on CX-5: 9956-41-400. Or like madar, get a box of generic M14 metric 65292 aluminum washer for much cheaper price.

...looks plenty crushed to me...

...but technically, you might be right...
attachment.php

Last edited:
A couple years ago I bought these https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned). They were only $4.99 for 20 at the time. $8.99 is still a good price
20 aluminum washers, $4.99 -> $8.99 in 2 years, a 80% increase!

That’s just an indication that how bad the inflation is nowadays! Price for most consumer goods have gone up not just 5%, but 30%、50%、80%、or even doubled!

and it may be enough for the lifetime of the car.
I purchased 21 Japanese Tokyo Roki PE01-14-302A oil filters from Med Center Mazda in Nov. 2016 when this filter was phasing out in US market. This 20-washer pack does fit my need.

I can recondition them and use them more than once.
Do you really do that? It’s supposed to be one-time use only though. I’d admit I reused this aluminum washer a couple of times before when I didn’t notice I’d run out of the drain plug washers. It’d never leaked.

Be aware though, those aluminum washer pack mentioned by you (Prime Ave) and Conrad 16.5 (AOIT), and many others sold online, are NOT Mazda genuine OEM aluminum drain plug washers, even though they all list the Mazda part number 9956-41-400.

A0310728-0C3D-4E5B-A91D-A4D3DB3F7B88.png

Last edited:
There are other reviews of that product that show them being identical to OEM.

I never have to bother with them since I use Mazda oil filters, which always include the washer.

I never have to bother with them since I use Mazda oil filters, which always include the washer.
Meeting the specs or not, my point was only to emphasize those multiple packs, they all have Mazda part number 9956-41-400 mixed in the description, are NOT Mazda OEM drain plug aluminum washers, but made by “Prime Ave” and “AOIT”. So don’t mistake them as the Mazda product 9956-41-400.

Yes most car dealers will include a drain plug aluminum washer with each OEM oil filter sold.

I've purchased many oil filters over my lifetime but I have never received a crush washer with my purchase.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I guess I should say that I've only ever ordered the oil change kits, with Moly oil and Mazda filter, and they always come with a washer along with each filter.

My point is that an aluminum drain plug washer is not a critical part by any means. It does not have to be original OEM Mazda for it to still function 100% as designed and intended.

I have a drawer full of Dorman M14 aluminum drain plug washers for my Integra, and I can guarantee they would work just fine on a CX-5.

You made me read more reviews on the “Prime Ave” aluminum washer 20 pack posted by MyFirstMazda. The guy in the reviews claimed he got “9956-41-400 x 20 pcs”, and they are identical to OEM. But apparently he got different brand (JP-CHARPARTS.COM?, not from “Prime Ave”) of washers, and his washers definitely are not “9956-41-400”.

I pull my OEM “9956-41-400” washers out and they indeed look a bit wider than “Prime Ave” washer.

7261D292-2C6F-4AA8-A244-B12B325A072A.jpeg

So not all aluminum drain plug washers with correct size are created equal?

B61C581F-2D40-46C6-AC38-B7523EB5953B.jpeg

This guy uses wrong drain plug without the flange and the problem has shown with the smaller crushed area on the used washer:

8ABECBCE-E870-4C3F-A61F-198D9F5DA122.jpeg

And who would believe this review?

109B3FEE-EA42-4F8B-A9FE-6D6CF42F8880.jpeg

They are not OEM, but the same size. If I put my original OEM washer in with the 20, you wouldn't be able to pick it out from the group. And that is an incredible mark up in price. The one review by Compelled to Write a Review is me.

Do you really do that? It’s supposed to be one-time use only though. I’d admit I reused this aluminum washer a couple of times before when I didn’t notice I’d run out of the drain plug washers. It’d never leaked.
I heat the used one for about 2 seconds with a torch and drop it in water to make it softer, then sand on a flat surface with fine sandpaper. If it is flat and I see no marring I put it in the Reuse bag. Most people won't bother to do 5 dollars worth of work to save a quarter but I don't mind doing it.

Back