2.5 NA Cracked Cylinder Head with Oil leaking...How common is this?

For the 2.5T which has original head you should try to avoid driving on the rough road, or the heavy exhaust manifold may cause the crack to the head, according to the TSB.
Makes you wonder how they addressed this for the CX-50.

Is there really anything addressed or different about them or are the CX- 50s simply just mostly newer vehicles with fewer miles and are not seeing the problem YET?

I think the CX-50s have stiffer suspension compared to the CX-5. I believe @N7turbo's concern is based on the stiffer suspension paired with the road conditions. The changes to the head may be enough for the CX-5 or CX-9, but we don't know if the CX-50's suspension would cause any problems with this issue.

I was more commenting on the fact that Mazda markets the CX-50 as an off-road vehicle, so they had to have done something to harden the vehicle against failures when customers use the vehicle as advertised.

Maybe the exhaust on the CX-50 has been reinforced? Better/more exhaust hanger bushings?

Good to know. Will be interested to see going forward how many on this board end up having an issue. Hopefully none!
I have 2019 CX-5 Sport version, the basic trim level, non-turbo. I change engine oil and filter every 6k miles. Replace engine air filter every 30k. I replaced the spark plug at 80k miles. I have 90k+ miles and so far it has zero problems. No cracked cylinder head. No rear brake issues. No water leak issue. It never saw a dealership or other mechanic shop. I am happy.

Back