2019 CX-5 Folding side mirror when locking; LS stopped fully folding. Tips?

Thanks. Missed that....again...
So Unobtainiam said,
  1. Switch the ignition ON.
  2. If the power window lock switch is in the unlock position, switch it to the lock position.
  3. Press and hold the front passenger's power window switch and rear left/right power window switches on the driver's door at the same time for 3 seconds or longer.
Odd how features are controlled.
Returning folding mirrors back into operation is the reverse of above?

One would think they could simply have a button next to the power mirror controls....
Or change the setting in the infotainment screen.

One would think they could simply have a button next to the power mirror controls....
Or change the setting in the infotainment screen.

Some models/markets have that switch where you can select 3 modes:
Unfolded, Auto or folded, it is convenient for manual control or for example keep them always unfolded.

1664570399247.png

I've seen on youtube these guys saying that they fixed the folding mirror problem with some WD-40. It made me curious so I tried it with some greaseless lubricant. It did not do the trick. Myth busted. 😀

I noticed after purchasing my CX five GTR that the folding and unfolding was not exactly smooth. I sprayed WD-40 in the gaps between the mirror housing and the arm that holds the mirror housing. Just make sure to clean off any overspray and make sure to open and close mirrors repeatedly while spraying the WD-40. After doing the above, I found it smooth out the opening and closing of the mirrors And may cure the problem you are experiencing.

Reactions: TBD
I noticed after purchasing my CX five GTR that the folding and unfolding was not exactly smooth. I sprayed WD-40 in the gaps between the mirror housing and the arm that holds the mirror housing. Just make sure to clean off any overspray and make sure to open and close mirrors repeatedly while spraying the WD-40. After doing the above, I found it smooth out the opening and closing of the mirrors And may cure the problem you are experiencing.
I just had this issue occur with my driver side mirror on my '19 CX-5 GTR. Mirror would only fold about 1/3 of the way when locked. I gently nudged it while locking so it would close all the way, then hit it with some WD-40. So far, it's returned to full function. Not sure if or how long that will last, since WD-40 is not a persistent lubricant. I guess when it happens again, I'll just hit it with another shot of WD-40.

I just had this issue occur with my driver side mirror on my '19 CX-5 GTR. Mirror would only fold about 1/3 of the way when locked. I gently nudged it while locking so it would close all the way, then hit it with some WD-40. So far, it's returned to full function. Not sure if or how long that will last, since WD-40 is not a persistent lubricant. I guess when it happens again, I'll just hit it with another shot of WD-40.

I think the 19s were part of the TSB that was issued for the power mirrors. You can call your dealer to see if your car has the "updated" mirrors, and if not, maybe you can get them replaced to avoid the partial folding issue. If your car is out of warranty, you might be asked to foot the bill for the repair though.

And I highly recommend getting it tended to via the dealer. I just had to fix one of mine this past weekend and it was a real hassle
Especially if the car still has new car warranty.

Yeah, of course, the warranty just expired on the vehicle. The timing of that was kind of impressive. When i get a chance, I'll see what the dealer says.

I replaced the car battery recently and after a while I've noticed that the left mirror started to work better, almost completely folding in. So I decided to use some WD-40, since a lot of guys here said that it works. So I flooded the left mirror in WD-40. 🤣 Now it does not move at all.

My driver's side mirror started giving me trouble 2-3 weeks ago. Not tied to cold weather (am in S. FL) or any recent wash. It would always close fine, but when opened, about 1/3 the time it would stop after unfolding about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way. Sometimes it would finish after I touched the mirror adjustment switch, sometimes not. Local dealer replaced the motor today under warranty (I'm at 2.5 years, 23k miles), quoting TSB 09-047/22. They only had one motor in stock (in addition to one for the passenger side, which he claimed was a different part). Service dept. was certainly aware of the issue.

Local dealer replaced the motor today under warranty (I'm at 2.5 years, 23k miles), quoting TSB 09-047/22. They only had one motor in stock (in addition to one for the passenger side, which he claimed was a different part). Service dept. was certainly aware of the issue.

Link to TSB 09-047/22:

TSB 09-047/22

I have a 2021 Signature and the driver's side fails to fully shut quite frequently.

I like that the folded mirrors signal that the car is locked, and would prefer not to disable them in the winters (I have a garage, and de-ice the rare times it's outside in ice).

It failed to fully shut awhile ago but then started working again after a few days. Just recently it failed again. The 2021 does not seem to be covered by the TSBs, of course, but it's the same issue - it closes or opens part-way, etc.

Any guidance here?

I have a 2021 Signature and the driver's side fails to fully shut quite frequently.

I like that the folded mirrors signal that the car is locked, and would prefer not to disable them in the winters (I have a garage, and de-ice the rare times it's outside in ice).

It failed to fully shut awhile ago but then started working again after a few days. Just recently it failed again. The 2021 does not seem to be covered by the TSBs, of course, but it's the same issue - it closes or opens part-way, etc.

Any guidance here?

I would report the issue to your dealership, then contact Mazda Corporate to report the issue to them as well. Even if they turn you away, at least they'll have one more report of this issue, and if they continue to receive reports of the same issue on the 21s, they may amend the TSB accordingly.

Until then, you can try to lubricate the mechanism that opens and closes the mirror. I'm not sure if you'll need to pull the mirror glass off or not, or what type of lubricant to use, but I would guess that a silicone lubricant would be fine. Side mirror glass removal steps can be found here. The instructions are for a 2016+ CX-9 but the steps for side mirror glass removal should be nearly identical for the 2017+ CX-5.

Back