2019 CX-5 Folding side mirror when locking; LS stopped fully folding. Tips?

I guess the subject says most of it. Came back from dealer LOF service yesterday, and today, in town, when I closed the door and walked away I noticed the driver's side mirror began to fold in automatically as it always has, but stopped about a third of the way in travel. Passenger side works normally. I played with it some using the fob. I unlocked car, both mirrors opened. I clicked on lock button while gently holding my finger against the back of the driver's mirror. It smoothly folded all the way. Taking my hand away, I tried normal operation. It would never fully close. (Doors lock just fine)
We had very cold temperatures here a couple months ago. (-5 to around +10 for a few nights) One day I went to go somewhere and when unlocking the car, the driver's side mirror began to open but immediately stopped. I remember thinking, "dang - frozen - hope that doesn't hurt it." Certainly there must be some safety override built into these power mirrors to adjust for freezing temps. But did that cold snap break my mirror? We're still under car's 3 year bumper=to-bumper warranty, so dealer should take care of it, but I'd like to know other's experiences. Thoughts appreciated.

I had many failures with these. Always when it was hot out, and often during road trips. Dealer will fix.

I guess the subject says most of it. Came back from dealer LOF service yesterday, and today, in town, when I closed the door and walked away I noticed the driver's side mirror began to fold in automatically as it always has, but stopped about a third of the way in travel. Passenger side works normally. I played with it some using the fob. I unlocked car, both mirrors opened. I clicked on lock button while gently holding my finger against the back of the driver's mirror. It smoothly folded all the way. Taking my hand away, I tried normal operation. It would never fully close. (Doors lock just fine)
We had very cold temperatures here a couple months ago. (-5 to around +10 for a few nights) One day I went to go somewhere and when unlocking the car, the driver's side mirror began to open but immediately stopped. I remember thinking, "dang - frozen - hope that doesn't hurt it." Certainly there must be some safety override built into these power mirrors to adjust for freezing temps. But did that cold snap break my mirror? We're still under car's 3 year bumper=to-bumper warranty, so dealer should take care of it, but I'd like to know other's experiences. Thoughts appreciated.
There’re several TSBs for power folding mirror failure on CX-5 since the CX-5 came out in 2012 worldwide. Somehow Mazda could never fix the problem from root and the failure keeps happening even after several TSBs. Go get the power folding mirror replaced with revised version under warranty and hope for the best.

If you don't need the folding option (don't live or park on a tight street) turn the damn things off.
They're nothing but trouble, ask Uno if you don't believe me.

I turned mine off on day one.

If you don't need the folding option (don't live or park on a tight street) turn the damn things off.
They're nothing but trouble, ask Uno if you don't believe me.

I turned mine off on day one.
Correction: Mazda’s power folding mirrors are nothing but trouble, ask Uno if you don't believe me.

Several friend’s Lexus RX350 with power folding mirrors they fold all the time when park and never got turned off. Their power folding mirrors keep folding for 8 ~ 10 years and 100K+ miles with no issues.

Correction: Mazda’s power folding mirrors are nothing but trouble, ask Uno if you don't believe me.

Several friend’s Lexus RX350 with power folding mirrors they fold all the time when park and never got turned off. Their power folding mirrors keep folding for 8 ~ 10 years and 100K+ miles with no issues.
I stand corrected!

Dennis, I just had the same problem here in Mass. That ice storm we had, and I forgot about the folding mirrors. They were very frozen, and the passenger side worked but the driver's side moved a little and stopped. I cleared away the ice as much as I could and pulled the mirror out till it locked in place. I then locked the doors and the driver side mirror only folded about 3/4 of the way I pushed it the rest of the way. I next day warm weather and rainstorm I opened the doors and the mirror worked fine. Good luck with yours.

Wow. Another fragile problematic feature. I'll admit here that I use their fold feature as I walk away from the car in a parking lot, look back, and if they're folding I figure the car probably really did lock itself. I'm kind of obsessive and don't trust a lot of this stuff. Good tip, yrwei, I'll try to get the dealer to not just fix it, but replace with later version.
PS: where/how do you turn them off?

Wow. Another fragile problematic feature. I'll admit here that I use their fold feature as I walk away from the car in a parking lot, look back, and if they're folding I figure the car probably really did lock itself. I'm kind of obsessive and don't trust a lot of this stuff. Good tip, yrwei, I'll try to get the dealer to not just fix it, but replace with later version.
PS: where/how do you turn them off?
Own the vehicle for a few years.

Seriously though,

1. Switch the ignition ON.
  2. If the power window lock switch is in the unlock position, switch it to the lock position.
  3. Press and hold the front passenger's power window switch and rear left/right power window switches on the driver's door at the same time for 3 seconds or longer.

You make it sound like Mazda and Lexus are the only ones with bad/good mirrors.

@DennisT, you can present this TSB to the dealership to help in getting the issue resolved.

Seems like the replacement mirrors/motors from the TSB are more reliable than the originals.

@DennisT, you can present this TSB to the dealership to help in getting the issue resolved.

Seems like the replacement mirrors/motors from the TSB are more reliable than the originals.

Great tip. I pulled up and saved that TSB. I did notice it said it applied, "2019 CX-5 vehicles (equipped with power folding mirror) with VINs lower than JM3KF******653298 (produced before June 11, 2019) " Our VIN is JM3KFBDM7K153273x. (X in inserted in place of last digit) Does our higher production number mean ours was built later the what the TSB works with???????

53273X

Your production number is lower, not higher. Which means that your vehicle is applicable to the TSB.

Thank you. Some of this is new to me. It's a c.28 page PDF. Thinking of burning the ink to print it out to take with me..........

Thank you. Some of this is new to me. It's a c.28 page PDF. Thinking of burning the ink to print it out to take with me..........
You don’t have to print all 28 pages, just print the first page and show it to your Mazda dealer. They can retrieve the entire TSB from their system and get the necessary repair kit accordingly.

I know it’d be nice the have the mirrors auto folding indicating the car is locked, but l’d make sure to disable the auto folding setting so that the mirrors fold only on demand by turning the switch, and hope the mechanism won’t be worn out too fast and leak. This water leak issue affecting the longevity of power folding mirrors on CX-5 has been going on for years. Somehow Mazda seems to be unable to fix the problem from root with many TSBs.

Good plan. I need to go out and try the method Unob... listed in earlier post. (below) Odd sequence, but that seems to be the tech world. i.e., No. 3, holding 3 power window switches down for 3 seconds. But I'll try it. Now what I hope for is:

1. Get dealer to repair/rebuild bad driver's power side window, w/TSB plan or better. Would love to have them upgrade passenger's power window too, but expect they'll balk at that as it still works.....for now.

2. After that, during cold/freezing, (generally all winter weather), I'll run with power side mirrors disabled. Also, around our very rural area, I might just leave them disabled......period. Traveling/motels, metro area parking lots, perhaps I'd switch them on again.

Our dealer is a 165 mile round trip for us, so won't get back there for a couple weeks or so.

Am I missing anything? Thank you all again; really good stuff on new subject matter for me.
  1. Switch the ignition ON.
  2. If the power window lock switch is in the unlock position, switch it to the lock position.
  3. Press and hold the front passenger's power window switch and rear left/right power window switches on the driver's door at the same time for 3 seconds or longer.

Only thing I might suggest is taking a video of the malfunctioning mirror, uploading it to YouTube, then providing the video link to the dealer via email with a description of the issue. Attach a copy of the TSB to the email. This way, you may be able to expedite the dealer process as they will be able to order any replacement parts ahead of time, if necessary. This is highly dependent on the dealer though, some of them will want to verify the problem in person, regardless of whether you have video or not.

Great idea, considering how far away from the dealer we live. That will take some thought, however, as my only video option is an older iPhone 6S and while I've occasionally taken a very short video, I have never in my life uploaded anything to YouTube, much less tried to capture a link to forward to anyone. Nonetheless, I'm going to look into this. Should be a YouTube tutorial to teach me to YouTube.......Ha.

Great idea, considering how far away from the dealer we live. That will take some thought, however, as my only video option is an older iPhone 6S and while I've occasionally taken a very short video, I have never in my life uploaded anything to YouTube, much less tried to capture a link to forward to anyone. Nonetheless, I'm going to look into this. Should be a YouTube tutorial to teach me to YouTube.......Ha.
@DennisT You can also upload short video clips directly to Mazdas247 when posting... @sm1ke posted a handy guide here...See "Uploading directly to Mazdas247"...:)

Just wanted to chime in that, that TSB has been superseded with a later one, more models are now included up to build date 10 or 11 march 2020, as well as more reasons for mirror folding failure:

TSB 09-010/21

Back