Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

Who is having coolant leak issues and have had their engines replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 46 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 61.0%

• Total voters
Hi guys, i 2019 cx-9 with 82,000 kms.

Just checked coolant and its indeed dropping over time. Is this normal?

There is about 1cm of coolant left in the tank. Cold engine. Heated garage.

Thanks!

Attachments

• B0647AC8-4E64-4EAE-802A-DA9E4520F2FB.jpeg
    B0647AC8-4E64-4EAE-802A-DA9E4520F2FB.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 183

Thanks!
It's hard to say. Do you get your vehicle serviced at dealership? If so, did they notice low coolant level and did they top off during last service? How's your oil looking? If you can, remove the bottom cover and look for dried coolant streaks.

But definitely fill it back up ASAP.

It's hard to say. Do you get your vehicle serviced at dealership? If so, did they notice low coolant level and did they top off during last service? How's your oil looking? If you can, remove the bottom cover and look for dried coolant streaks.

But definitely fill it back up ASAP.
I dont get the vehicle serviced at the dealer. I do my own oil changes and maintenance. What do i look for in the oil? I’ll open the bottom cover in couple of days to have a look. I dont want to fill it up quite yet so i can take it to Mazda and they could see it first hand if i have to bring it in.

Thanks!

Thanks!
The coolant of your CX-9 has dropped way below the “L” mark (1 cm of coolant left means the coolant overflow reservoir is almost empty). While some coolant consumption can be ”normal”, but your situation doesn’t seem to be normal IMO.

A couple of things you can do. Take the CX-5 to your Mazda dealer as is, show them the TSB, and ask for possible coolant leak check. Or you can go underneath the engine bay, remove the plastic cover, and check any sign of coolant leak on the back side of the engine around exhaust manifold.

June 2021 vs Jan 2022

Attachments

• 2F6CECB3-981C-4F40-B1B0-3305B089156D.jpeg
    2F6CECB3-981C-4F40-B1B0-3305B089156D.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 198
  • D7B85C41-3405-462B-B4B4-96B950DB36EE.jpeg
    D7B85C41-3405-462B-B4B4-96B950DB36EE.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 183
My engine did consume coolant that I had to fill during major service intervals. So at that mileage if you have never done so, I want to say I'm not surprised it's that low. If you have a fracture in the engine, coolant might mix with the oil and turn the oil into a milkshake.

My engine did consume coolant that I had to fill during major service intervals. So at that mileage if you have never done so, I want to say I'm not surprised it's that low. If you have a fracture in the engine, coolant might mix with the oil and turn the oil into a milkshake.
Based on the TSB for this coolant leak issue on the 2.5T, the coolant actually doesn’t mix with oil much but leaks out to the back side of engine near exhaust manifold from cracked cylinder head. Of course this could start with minor coolant leak from tiny crack. Trixstar’s case is hard to tell, only a close up physical examination to the area can tell.

Of course it can be minor internal coolant leak with 82,000 km / 50,952 miles which caused the coolant consumption. A UOA can tell the coolant leak mixing with oil. More severe coolant leak would show up with milky oil or oil floating on the coolant.

"What do i look for in the oil?"

With the engine cold (so the oil is thicker) pull the engine oil dipstick. Bubbles on the stick, a brownish residue just above the oil level, or milky-brown oil with a thick consistency are all indications of water in the oil. Detergent oil is made to emulsify water and antifreeze. Any milky appearance at all is a big trouble sign.

Vote just changed to Yes.

Dealership confirmed coolant leak at the cylinder head. Will be replacing the cylinder head per the TSB instead of the whole engine as there was no coolant in the engine.

Covered under warranty. Minimum two weeks in the shop. Will let you know more once they've given me more updates.

Update on my situation. After six weeks or so, the dealer finally got the parts needed to replace the cylinder head. However, as they were bringing it into the shop they said it was making "odd" noises.

They drained the oil and found metal bits from a shot bearing in the engine. So now they will be replacing the engine instead of just the head, all under warranty. They don't have an ETA on when the new engine will be shipped. I have a loaner CX-5 in the meantime.

While this will take much longer, I think I'm glad to get the new engine instead of trying to replace only the cylinder head. I was dreading long term issues with just trying to fix it and feel better having the new engine.

⋯ While this will take much longer, I think I'm glad to get the new engine instead of trying to replace only the cylinder head. I was dreading long term issues with just trying to fix it and feel better having the new engine.
Absolutely! Getting a new (or a factory rebuilt) engine has to be better than a engine with dealer’s head replacement job.

Update on my situation. After six weeks or so, the dealer finally got the parts needed to replace the cylinder head. However, as they were bringing it into the shop they said it was making "odd" noises.

They drained the oil and found metal bits from a shot bearing in the engine. So now they will be replacing the engine instead of just the head, all under warranty. They don't have an ETA on when the new engine will be shipped. I have a loaner CX-5 in the meantime.

While this will take much longer, I think I'm glad to get the new engine instead of trying to replace only the cylinder head. I was dreading long term issues with just trying to fix it and feel better having the new engine.
Yeah, plus it's good they gave you a loaner.

just found Monday 2/07 that my 2018 cx-9 GT w/ 38.3K miles has a crack. Though they didn't mention about replacing the motor (they made it sound like they were just replacing the cylinder head). They did tell me it's on back order & it might not be until late April/May until they can have it ready. I left them a msg to call me after reading this & other threads to have them clarify what they are replacing.

This has to be costing Mazda millions. I can't believe they are still using the same engine. I would hope they have modified it to fix this issue. Any idea if the newer turbos have this issue addressed?

This has to be costing Mazda millions. I can't believe they are still using the same engine. I would hope they have modified it to fix this issue. Any idea if the newer turbos have this issue addressed?
Newer engines are fixed. 2021 I think? Might be wrong on that. Doubt it’s costing them millions. Maybe hundreds of thousands at this point. Gotta remember the vocal minority will be on forums like this

Newer engines are fixed. 2021 I think? Might be wrong on that. Doubt it’s costing them millions. Maybe hundreds of thousands at this point. Gotta remember the vocal minority will be on forums like this
Man I I just bought 20 oil filters and thinking about keeping my 21 gtr turbo long term. Currently has almost 3k mi so would have to keep an eye on OIL CONSUMPTION and COOLANT LEAK!…………😔

Oddly my 08 Civic had a recall on engine block coolant leak but luckily none yet….. no jinks lol

Man I I just bought 20 oil filters and thinking about keeping my 21 gtr turbo long term. Currently has almost 3k mi so would have to keep an eye on OIL CONSUMPTION and COOLANT LEAK!…………😔
No coolant leak, only oil consumption from modified valve seals that may or may not happen.

Yes, only the vocal minority comes to forum like this for rant and advice.

I do have 2019 Signature with only 15,400 miles, but no extended warranty. I don't drive much or do tracking, probably 7,000 to 8,000 a year. At the end of 5yr/50,000mile powertrain warranty, I'll probably be at or below 35,000. I'm keeping my eyes on the coolant level now, checking it at least once a week when hot. I don't have any problem yet, but worried.

What's my best move at this point?
Does anyone have any idea what's the percentage of failed 2.5T? If only the vocal minority has the coolant leak issues and most 2.5T are OK, I may take chance. But if this is more widespread, Mazda may be forced to do a recall, hopefully.

Maybe I should sell the CX-5 to CarMax and hunker down till chip shortage gets better?

Back