Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

Who is having coolant leak issues and have had their engines replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 46 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 61.0%

• Total voters
Newer engines are fixed. 2021 I think? Might be wrong on that. Doubt it’s costing them millions. Maybe hundreds of thousands at this point. Gotta remember the vocal minority will be on forums like this
Are you sure the revision on cylinder head has truely fixed the crack issue? Nobody knows until another 50K miles.

Yeah the vocal minority will be on forums to report the issue, but the majority of car owners nowadays don’t even bother to visit any forums even if they encountered a major issue.

Currently 31.5% in this poll had engine replacement due to cracked cylinder head. This doesn’t count the guy who has the crack head without warranty and hasn’t replaced the engine, and may be a few more who couldn’t answer “Yes” as their engine hasn’t get “replaced” or fixed due to current long wait time.

Nevertheless 31.5% in an unscientific poll is the highest percentage I’ve ever seen in any forums on major engine problems.

Last edited:
Yes, only the vocal minority comes to forum like this for rant and advice.

I do have 2019 Signature with only 15,400 miles, but no extended warranty. I don't drive much or do tracking, probably 7,000 to 8,000 a year. At the end of 5yr/50,000mile powertrain warranty, I'll probably be at or below 35,000. I'm keeping my eyes on the coolant level now, checking it at least once a week when hot. I don't have any problem yet, but worried.

What's my best move at this point?
Does anyone have any idea what's the percentage of failed 2.5T? If only the vocal minority has the coolant leak issues and most 2.5T are OK, I may take chance. But if this is more widespread, Mazda may be forced to do a recall, hopefully.

Maybe I should sell the CX-5 to CarMax and hunker down till chip shortage gets better?
Why not buy an extended warranty?

Are you sure the revision on cylinder head has truly fixed the crack issue? Nobody knows until another 50K miles.

Nevertheless 31.5% in an unscientific poll is the highest percentage I’ve ever seen in any forums on major engine problems.

The Coolant leak TSB only applies to 2,5T built before Jun 21, 2020. Sounds like most 2021 or newer engines have issues fixed.

Yes, it's 31.5% replied YES, but it's only 17. I don't have issue yet, obviously voted NO. Just how many active members do we have on this forum, anyone?

Are you sure the revision on cylinder head has truely fixed the crack issue? Nobody knows until another 50K miles.

Yeah the vocal minority will be on forums to report the issue, but the majority of car owners nowadays don’t even bother to visit any forums even if they encountered a major issue.

Currently 31.5% in this poll had engine replacement due to cracked cylinder head. This doesn’t count the guy who has the crack head without warranty and hasn’t replaced the engine, and may be a few more who couldn’t answer “Yes” as their engine hasn’t get “replaced” or fixed due to current long wait time.

31.5% would extrapolate to almost 40k engines in the US. Highly doubt it’s that high. That would have made news at some point. As discussed before, enthusiasts and people having an issue with their vehicle are the most likely members of forums so this poll would be heavily skewed to those with problems. I’m not saying it isn’t an issue, but I’d take this poll with a grain of salt

I think you can still buy extended warranty. Check out Joinyaa.com i watch these guys on youtube. they seem decent.

I'll check it out, but if it's not by Mazda, does it still work?
Is it like Carshield which advertise heavily in TV? I doubt it's worth at all at any cost.

@StPark you can get an extended warranty from Mazda if you let them inspect your vehicle. Mazda Extended Confidence I think is the name. Probably wouldn’t go well if you already have the issue though

No, I don't have any issue currently.
Wonder how much they charge? For my other car I purchased new, it was like $3,000 at the time . . .

No, I don't have any issue currently.
Wonder how much they charge? For my other car I purchased new, it was like $3,000 at the time . . .
Found them for $1500ish but didn’t get my vehicle in. Unsure if this coolant leak will make me do it or not

I'll check it out. Was it bumper to bumper warranty or just a powertrain warranty?

I've never purchased ANY extended warranty, especially for Japanese/Korean vehicle. Last time I purchased a car, a Hyundai, finance manager offered one for almost $3,000, then dropped to $1,700. No longer bothered me. The Hyundai comes with 10 year/100,000 mile warranty, doubt I'll need it.

I think for the peace of mind its worth it. Unfortunate though that you have to do that, with a manufacturer that was ranked #1 in 2020 and #2 in 2022.

Wondering if we can have the extended warranty talk moved to another thread?

Good point. Extended warranty questions are valid when the question is centered around the 2.5T coolant leak, but once we start talking about pricing and where to get it, we're straying too far off topic.

Back on track, please.

The Coolant leak TSB only applies to 2,5T built before Jun 21, 2020. Sounds like most 2021 or newer engines have issues fixed.

Yes, it's 31.5% replied YES, but it's only 17. I don't have issue yet, obviously voted NO. Just how many active members do we have on this forum, anyone?
My 21 gtr turbo was built in 11/2020 so im safe from crack head and engine oil consumption? 🤞

Edit
Cx-5

Last edited:
Back