Dr. Colorchip

:
21CX5 Signature
Did anyone used Dr. Colorchip touch up paint on CX-5 2021 Snowflake Pearl White color? I would like to know how good is the color match is before I order it and spend like $90.00, with shipping.

Did anyone used Dr. Colorchip touch up paint on CX-5 2021 Snowflake Pearl White color? I would like to know how good is the color match is before I order it and spend like $90.00, with shipping.
Dr. Colorchip, or any other touchup paint, including OEM Mazda is going to be a challenge for any white pearl color, even though they're all going to use a standard formula to mix the paint. A light color, multi stage paint, particularly with pearl or metallic is never going to be perfectly replicated by touch up. The pearl/metallic won't lay down the same and won't be done in layers, resulting in the color often not looking like a great match, even if it has all the right pigments and mix ins. You simply can't recreate the same result as distinct layers being sprayed.

The Dr. Colorchip system as a whole is a good way to get solid results, but if you're expecting an invisible matching result, you are likely to be disappointed. Even professional painters, when spraying the same distinct layers as factory paint process tend to encounter challenges getting a perfect match for this type of color, as there are so many variables such as minute tinting differences, paint layer thickness, spray gun pressure and distance that all impact the final result.

Dr. Colorchip, or any other touchup paint, including OEM Mazda is going to be a challenge for any white pearl color, even though they're all going to use a standard formula to mix the paint. A light color, multi stage paint, particularly with pearl or metallic is never going to be perfectly replicated by touch up. The pearl/metallic won't lay down the same and won't be done in layers, resulting in the color often not looking like a great match, even if it has all the right pigments and mix ins. You simply can't recreate the same result as distinct layers being sprayed.

The Dr. Colorchip system as a whole is a good way to get solid results, but if you're expecting an invisible matching result, you are likely to be disappointed. Even professional painters, when spraying the same distinct layers as factory paint process tend to encounter challenges getting a perfect match for this type of color, as there are so many variables such as minute tinting differences, paint layer thickness, spray gun pressure and distance that all impact the final result.
So what would you recommend to use for stone chips for 2021 Snowflake Pearl White color, I have used OEM touch up paint but the color is way off, it had some kind of yellowish tint to it.

I agree, you'd probably get a closer match using Dr. Colorchip compared to OEM, but no matter what you use, it won't be perfect. Some of the promo videos that Dr. Colorchip produces make the stone chips look nearly invisible from a few feet away, but that probably works best on specific colours/finishes.

I agree, you'd probably get a closer match using Dr. Colorchip compared to OEM, but no matter what you use, it won't be perfect. Some of the promo videos that Dr. Colorchip produces make the stone chips look nearly invisible from a few feet away, but that probably works best on specific colours/finishes.
I know that it will not be perfect and if you inspect the paint from close distance you will still see a spot that was touched up, but just curious if it would look better then OEM touch up paint using Dr. Colorchip.

I know that it will not be perfect and if you inspect the paint from close distance you will still see a spot that was touched up, but just curious if it would look better then OEM touch up paint using Dr. Colorchip.
I don't think where you get the paint (from any reputable source) is going to make very much difference. I find the best way to control the color match is to do very thin layers of paint, rather than trying to fill the chip in one heavy application. I use micro dabbers from automotivetouchup.com and try to get as little as possible applied for each coat. This seems to help control the color as well as gives better metallic/pearl laydown. A big blob seems to concentrate the pigment and metallic/pearl too closely when the solvent evaporates resulting in a worse match. Sometimes I end up doing as few as 2-3 super thin costs or as many as 7-8 depending on the color to get a match I'm happy with before I fill to level with clear, and then polish.

It's also important to spend a good 3-4 minutes shaking up the paint to get all the pigments and mix-ins completely homogenized for the best match. A quick shake isn't going to do that and can make for a poor match, especially on a light pearl color.

I'll be doing some chip touchup on a friend's pearl white Honda this weekend, so although not the exact same, it should be similar. I'll let you know what methods I end up using and how it comes out.

I don't think where you get the paint (from any reputable source) is going to make very much difference. I find the best way to control the color match is to do very thin layers of paint, rather than trying to fill the chip in one heavy application. I use micro dabbers from automotivetouchup.com and try to get as little as possible applied for each coat. This seems to help control the color as well as gives better metallic/pearl laydown. A big blob seems to concentrate the pigment and metallic/pearl too closely when the solvent evaporates resulting in a worse match. Sometimes I end up doing as few as 2-3 super thin costs or as many as 7-8 depending on the color to get a match I'm happy with before I fill to level with clear, and then polish.

It's also important to spend a good 3-4 minutes shaking up the paint to get all the pigments and mix-ins completely homogenized for the best match. A quick shake isn't going to do that and can make for a poor match, especially on a light pearl color.

I'll be doing some chip touchup on a friend's pearl white Honda this weekend, so although not the exact same, it should be similar. I'll let you know what methods I end up using and how it comes out.
Thank you.

I used Dr. Colorchip on my Nissan 370Z and on my Machine Gray CX 5. It did do a good job of filling in the rock chips, both of which were about the side of a matchhead. Their instructions about using a gloved finger to smear the paint are one of the dumbest things ever. I used one of those little wedge shaped silicone squeegees that come with many cell phone screen protector kits and it worked perfectly to level the blob. For what Dr. Colorchip charges they should provide one like the $10 screen protector kits do.

Regarding color match, that's another story. The repair on my Nissan was noticeably lighter and the repair on my CX 5 is noticeably darker. And I was careful to stir the paint well. But in both cases the spots which were on the hoods don't jump out at you unless you were looking for them.

I used Dr. Colorchip on my Nissan 370Z and on my Machine Gray CX 5. It did do a good job of filling in the rock chips, both of which were about the side of a matchhead. Their instructions about using a gloved finger to smear the paint are one of the dumbest things ever. I used one of those little wedge shaped silicone squeegees that come with many cell phone screen protector kits and it worked perfectly to level the blob. For what Dr. Colorchip charges they should provide one like the $10 screen protector kits do.

Regarding color match, that's another story. The repair on my Nissan was noticeably lighter and the repair on my CX 5 is noticeably darker. And I was careful to stir the paint well. But in both cases the spots which were on the hoods don't jump out at you unless you were looking for them.
I know that machine gray on CX5 is not 3 stage paint like snowflake pearl white on the CX5 and if you are saying that the color from Dr colorchip did not match exactly on machine gray color then maybe I should not even consider DCP for snowflake white color or you think I will not be able to get a good color match anywhere unless the entire hood gets repainted?

I know that machine gray on CX5 is not 3 stage paint like snowflake pearl white on the CX5 and if you are saying that the color from Dr colorchip did not match exactly on machine gray color then maybe I should not even consider DCP for snowflake white color or you think I will not be able to get a good color match anywhere unless the entire hood gets repainted?

This. If you want a perfect match, or even a close match, you won't find it by using touch up paint for these more complex colours. You can try what @ZOOM21 mentioned above in terms of application, but I can tell you from personal experience that a single application from the OEM machine grey paint pen results in the chip no longer being prone to rust, but still visible up close due to the colour not matching 100%. White would probably blend in better than machine grey though.

This. If you want a perfect match, or even a close match, you won't find it by using touch up paint for these more complex colours. You can try what @ZOOM21 mentioned above in terms of application, but I can tell you from personal experience that a single application from the OEM machine grey paint pen results in the chip no longer being prone to rust, but still visible up close due to the colour not matching 100%. White would probably blend in better than machine grey though.
So would you recommend for me to try Dr Colorchip (because you used it) or just to stick to OEM touch up pen?

So would you recommend for me to try Dr Colorchip (because you used it) or just to stick to OEM touch up pen?

I used the OEM paint pen in a single application. I have not used Dr. Colorchip, and I have not tried the multiple application process explained by @ZOOM21.

I would guess that you might get a better match using Dr. Colorchip and the multiple application process, compared to the OEM paint pen. But no idea if the better match is worth the $90. Maybe try the multiple application with the OEM paint pen since you already have it?

I used the OEM paint pen in a single application. I have not used Dr. Colorchip, and I have not tried the multiple application process explained by @ZOOM21.

I would guess that you might get a better match using Dr. Colorchip and the multiple application process, compared to the OEM paint pen. But no idea if the better match is worth the $90. Maybe try the multiple application with the OEM paint pen since you already have it?
I did apply OEM pen paint in multiple layer and I find that it has a yellowish tint to it. Not sure if I should pull the trigger on DrCC if the color match will not be $90 better it would be a waist.

I did apply OEM pen paint in multiple layer and I find that it has a yellowish tint to it. Not sure if I should pull the trigger on DrCC if the color match will not be $90 better it would be a waist.

I assume you're mixing the paint in the pen well. If that's the case, it might be worth going to the dealer to try one of their paint pens. Or buy a new paint pen to see if the one you have is just bad. A new paint pen is only $15-20, easier to swallow than $90.

I assume you're mixing the paint in the pen well. If that's the case, it might be worth going to the dealer to try one of their paint pens. Or buy a new paint pen to see if the one you have is just bad. A new paint pen is only $15-20, easier to swallow than $90.
I have replaced my first touch up pen that I got from dealer, the second touch up pen has the same tint to it

If I will get results like the picture you provided in the link I will spend $90, in pictures you can not see where the chip was, but on the other hand they are stating that the pearl color code 25 D will not match.

From the website:

Capture.JPG

Single stage paint will never be able to match tri-colour paint, but it should be closer than regular touch-up paint (i.e. OEM paint pen), which is basically what everyone's been saying all along.

I won't tell you how to spend your own money. I'm just trying to help provide info so you can make an informed decision for yourself.

The one you just linked has a good review from a guy who says it was a perfect match for his 25D paint. But it only has 8 reviews total, and an average rating of 3.9/5. Plus it looks like it isn't currently available to buy. You may want to contact the seller to see when/if they will restock, and what their return policy is (in case it doesn't match as well as you want it to).

Back