2022 CX-5?

I’m Canadian and the CX-3 still sells (about = 60% of CX-30 sales), so it’s worth it for them, though apparently not the Mazda6 which is gone.
The CX-5 will still be smaller and cheaper than the CX-50. I wonder if it will stick around for a couple of years before being phased out. Given that motor journalists love the turbo and feel like it transforms the car, it would be a shame to see it go. Maybe I’ll have a shot at a 2022 Signature before the 2023 CX-50 grabs the limelight.
That is not correct. Last month the CX-30 outsold the CX-3 by almost 5 to 1 and the CX-30 had over half the sales of the CX-5 in Canada. It is only a matter of time before the CX-3 is dropped.

Mazda Canada Reports Sales for August 2021

Last edited:
Well I'll agree that the front seats in the Gen 2's are mighty uncomfortable. But I like the idea that as a crossover its not too big.
I agree completely. The current CX-5 is the perfect size for me and all motor sports reviews comment on its nimble handling. Maybe the rumoured CX-7/70 will give the extra space and size some people want but find the CX-9 too big.

We’ll have to see the final product but they’ve trademarked CX-10 to CX-90 so that seems to be the naming game plan. If the added “0“ denotes premium, the CX-30 is already an outlier. Nice enough vehicle but certainly not in the big leagues.
Right, that's the first problem with the "0" designation intending to signal "premium" in the CX-50, CX-90, 60, whatnot. That branding concept has been compromised with the CX-30. While being a nice package as you say, it's really in the everyman category.

But further, even without that CX-30 naming compromising the "0" image, does the "0" provide enough differentiation between mainstream and "premium"? I'd say not. Other automakers have gone to a different marque (Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, Genesis) to differentiate. Now, those marques range from premium up into luxury whereas Mazda's intent is making an incursion into premium only which probably does not justify a new marque especially with a projected limited number of models.

Hyundai started Genesis with one model, badged "Hyundai Genesis" sold out of Hyundai dealerships. Mazda should have a different naming convention along these lines to more clearly differentiate premium models.

One of the biggest knocks we get on the sales side is that the CX5 really is too small for some of customers, esp with lots of the competition already offering larger body 5 seat CUVs. The front seats esp really need to be widened a bit
As a 6'1", 180 lb. person, I find the 2020 CX-5 seats to be quite comfortable, better than my three previous vehicles and maybe the best I've ever had. Having lower back issues, I'd have to stop about every two hours in previous vehicles when road tripping as my right leg would start to numb. I can get about three hours in this Mazda before having to stretch my legs.

Perhaps these Japanese designers are a bit too Asia-centric, designing for smaller bodies.

It would appear that this engine will not be turbocharged, at least not initially. The Skyactive-X concept is a novel sparkless compression ignition purportedly marrying the benefits of gas and diesel, producing a 20-30% improvement in fuel economy. Hopefully that works out better than the novel rotary concept. AWD, turbos, hybrids, EVs--that probably comes later in one model or another--CX-50, CX-90 and whatever they call the 6 successor, 60 I guess.

As for appearance, that camo CX-5/50 floating around is probably a refreshed CX-5. I would expect the CX-50 will look more like this--longer hood, coupe-like sloping rear roof line, lower ground clearance for driving dynamics as a street-only vehicle in keeping with the initial RWD release:

Not sure where this information is coming from. The new inline six for american market will be turbocharged and it doesn t have anything to do with the inline six Skyactiv X, that will not be sold in north america. I did post on the cx 50 thread the actual configuration which will feature a turbocharger.

Right, that's the first problem with the "0" designation intending to signal "premium" in the CX-50, CX-90, 60, whatnot. That branding concept has been compromised with the CX-30. While being a nice package as you say, it's really in the everyman category.

But further, even without that CX-30 naming compromising the "0" image, does the "0" provide enough differentiation between mainstream and "premium"? I'd say not. Other automakers have gone to a different marque (Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, Genesis) to differentiate. Now, those marques range from premium up into luxury whereas Mazda's intent is making an incursion into premium only which probably does not justify a new marque especially with a projected limited number of models.

Hyundai started Genesis with one model, badged "Hyundai Genesis" sold out of Hyundai dealerships. Mazda should have a different naming convention along these lines to more clearly differentiate premium models.

Back in the day when I had my Mazda MX-6 (sometimes called the most beautiful coupe of the 1990s), Mazda was on the verge of launching it's new luxury division, "Amati" for 1994. But changing economics in Japan and the USA (costing GHW Bush the 1992 election) put an end to that. Too bad. It would at least have allowed competition with Acura and Genesis though likely not with Audi, Mercedes and BMW.

But I like the idea that as a crossover its not too big.
Unfortunately, "bigger is better" is an American malady.

People swap out of their Camrys and Accords for compact CUVs for styling. If this were not the case, people would be buying minivans hand over fist instead of 3-row SUVs since the minivans offer more utility.

A CX-5 sized vehicle gets you about the same leg room but more cargo capacity than those mid-sized sedans. Nonetheless, a fair number of buyers will opt for another model, say a RAV4 with 7 cf more cargo room, just because it is bigger because bigger must be better.

Back in the day when I had my Mazda MX-6 (sometimes called the most beautiful coupe of the 1990s), Mazda was on the verge of launching it's new luxury division, "Amati" for 1994. But changing economics in Japan and the USA (costing GHW Bush the 1992 election) put end to that. Too bad. It would at least have allowed competition with Acura and Genesis though likely not with Audi or a BMW.
Yeah, I've had this Amati discussion previously, maybe with you. That is the kind of differentiation I'm speaking of, though today at the model level, not as a new marque. Amati would be a terrific name for one of the models, instead of CX-50 or 60, if it were not tainted by that history.

By the way, while "amati" sounds vaguely Japanese, goggle translate returns nothing for it. However, in Italian, it means "loved ones," and if the CX-50 comes out looking like what I linked in post #39, there is a little Italian flair to it. To my eye, that's a beautiful car.

I believe Mazda is going after the lower end of the BMW, Audi and Mercedes line-ups which qualify more as premium than luxury if you look under the badge. You could say Toyota is doing the same thing with RAV4 Prime, albeit in a different way with the plug-in hybrid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure where this information is coming from. The new inline six for american market will be turbocharged and it doesn t have anything to do with the inline six Skyactiv X, that will not be sold in north america. I did post on the cx 50 thread the actual configuration which will feature a turbocharger.
I agree, when you look at the images provided by mazda of the inline six, you can literally see the turbocharger. It is possible there could be an NA version for base trims but I'd bet theres GTR/SIG turbo trims, especially considering the upmarket push.

My guess is ~305hp, 365ft-lbs turbo engine for upper trims. Probably 3.0L

Id guess for the lower trims a ~270hp, 240 ft-lbs NA. Probably 3.3L

Both engines with a mild hybrid system.

As a 6'1", 180 lb. person, I find the 2020 CX-5 seats to be quite comfortable, better than my three previous vehicles and maybe the best I've ever had. Having lower back issues, I'd have to stop about every two hours in previous vehicles when road tripping as my right leg would start to numb. I can get about three hours in this Mazda before having to stretch my legs.

Perhaps these Japanese designers are a bit too Asia-centric, designing for smaller bodies.
you're the weight people were back in the 90s. The avg American is probably 30 pounds heavier than back then

One of the biggest knocks we get on the sales side is that the CX5 really is too small for some of customers, esp with lots of the competition already offering larger body 5 seat CUVs. The front seats esp really need to be widened a bit

Respectfully, Mazda knows what they are doing in this instance. If they were to make the CX-5 larger (a big investment), there would be less need to buy the larger, more expensive CX-9.

I agree, when you look at the images provided by mazda of the inline six, you can literally see the turbocharger. It is possible there could be an NA version for base trims but I'd bet theres GTR/SIG turbo trims, especially considering the upmarket push.

My guess is ~305hp, 365ft-lbs turbo engine for upper trims. Probably 3.0L

Id guess for the lower trims a ~270hp, 240 ft-lbs NA. Probably 3.3L

Both engines with a mild hybrid system.
It is going to be a 3.0l, probably the derived Miata 2.0 engine, my guess with 350hp or they might push for something special and closer to the B58, even though imo that is a benchmark of I6 and Bmw has a lot of history developing it. As long as it will be a better engine than Type S one I am ok with that.

It is going to be a 3.0l, probably the derived Miata 2.0 engine, my guess with 350hp or they might push for something special and closer to the B58, even though imo that is a benchmark of I6 and Bmw has a lot of history developing it. As long as it will be a better engine than Type S one I am ok with that.

They have already stated that it is based upon the 2.0 Skyactive X engine. Not the 2.0 in the Miata.

Honestly, Ppeople are going to be disappointed. All this talk of 350 HP and competition with a BMW or Porsche is just silly. Expect the 6 cylinder to have the same relative performance as the 2.5T but with better gas mileage.

They have already stated that it is based upon the 2.0 Skyactive X engine. Not the 2.0 in the Miata.

Honestly, Ppeople are going to be disappointed. All this talk of 350 HP and competition with a BMW or Porsche is just silly. Expect the 6 cylinder to have the same relative performance as the 2.5T but with better gas mileage.
Who is comparing with Porsche and Bmw? If you are making assumptions, thats ok but don t tell stories without an actual fact behind it. It is written in the presentation, gasoline, diesel AND X. I posted the i6 sketches turbocharged. X has a supercharger for air not for power.American market will never buy a i6 that behave like a na engine and it produce 280hp. Not in 2023. LOL

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210904-232504_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210904-232504_Drive.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 173

But it may be more upscale in the interior etc. But BMW owners won’t be cross-shopping with a Mazda…they don’t do it now with Acura.
Cuz it’s all about the badge.

Nice find! I think I like the changes from what I can see. They trimmed the "wings" off of the grille surround, changed the grille design, gave it a new front and rear bumper and updated the headlights and taillights. I'd love to see what the headlights and taillights look like with the parking lights on and with the low beams on.

As far as size, in the article, Google Translate says "Axle size, new car length 4575/1842/1685mm, wheelbase 2700mm". I think that means that overall length has increased by 25mm, the width remains the same at 1842mm, AWD unladen height has increased by 5mm, and the wheelbase has increased by 2mm. They also bumped the power for the 2.5 NA up to 196hp, and it looks like the WTLC (WLTP) tested fuel economy is either 7.05L/100km (33.4 mpg) or 7.15L/100km (32.9 mpg).

This is all assuming these numbers are official, which hasn't been confirmed yet.

Back