Why get AWD?

It's because if I remember correctly, the BMW AWD system is rear wheel drive biased. This allows their drivers to throw out the tail and do some light powerslides/drifting. It will never happen in a FWD because it will just understeer, unless it is setup explicitly to oversteer like a Focus ST.

It's because the Focus ST is lacking a front LSD. Front LSD does wonders for high powered FWD vehicles.

-------------------------------------------
I'm split on the idea of AWD helping the car corner better/faster. If torque vectoring is considered an AWD feature, then I guess yeah it helps it corner better/faster. If not, then no it doesn't really help cornering that much. It allows you to get on the power earlier when exiting the corner though for sure.

Yea I'm seriously considering putting a LSD on it. Ford really should have. But I'll probably just get a Golf R or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's because if I remember correctly, the BMW AWD system is rear wheel drive biased. This allows their drivers to throw out the tail and do some light powerslides/drifting. It will never happen in a FWD because it will just understeer, unless it is setup explicitly to oversteer like a Focus ST.

It's because the Focus ST is lacking a front LSD. Front LSD does wonders for high powered FWD vehicles.

-------------------------------------------
I'm split on the idea of AWD helping the car corner better/faster. If torque vectoring is considered an AWD feature, then I guess yeah it helps it corner better/faster. If not, then no it doesn't really help cornering that much. It allows you to get on the power earlier when exiting the corner though for sure.

Exactly on point. The AWD itself isn't what makes it corner better. But the AWD plus technology like torque vectoring results in a whole that's better than the sum of the parts. The issue I have is so many in the general public then just associate that with AWD. This is made worse by marketing departments at Subaru and BMW etc.

G Vectoring Control and Torque Vectoring are two VERY different animals.

JTHJ is absolutely correct in that AWD alone does not improve vehicles ability to corner.

Unless your car has torque vectoring your drivetrain does not help you corner. And there's 2 kinds of torque vectoring... the poor man's and the proper way to do it - braking the inside corner wheel of an axle on an open diff vs an actual torque vectoring diff.

Gvectoring has absolutely no control over how much power goes to the left or right wheel where torque vectoring drives the outside cornering wheel harder to help the vehicle rotate through the corner.

So has there been anybody here yet who had an AWD and went back to FWD only?

I sure have. Had them all: FWD, RWD, AWD, 4x4.

My DD is a Mazda 3 at the moment.

And as previously mentioned the CX-5 is only AWD because it had to be to get the creature comforts we wanted.

So Mazda should put in 2.5T because one guys wants to buy it? Wouldnt that be very expensive?

Probably not as expensive as you would think. Think issue is torque figures are the same as 2.2L diesel (scratch)

I bet it would be about 2k like it is to upgrade to the 2.0T Ecoboost on the Escape. So a GT with 2.5T just under 34k (just under 36k with PP). That's still competitive against the Escape (though they discount those a lot more). Also, still competitive against the 2018 Tiguan when similarly equipped and I'd argue even though it's got more torque the VW 2.0T Bcycle is actually more comparable to the Skyactiv 2.5. Mazda would sell them.

I also doubt the diesel would be as quick as the 2.5T. Yes, they have the same torque.... but that's just one number. I bet it would drive a lot like a VW TDI. Basically not that quick but no matter how much stuff or how many people you have in the car it'll accelerate the same.

I also doubt the diesel would be as quick as the 2.5T. Yes, they have the same torque.... but that's just one number. I bet it would drive a lot like a VW TDI. Basically not that quick but no matter how much stuff or how many people you have in the car it'll accelerate the same.

The CX-5 diesel is not too shabby performance wise:

001.png

Definitely not slow. My point is that 0-60 (100kph) should be about 2 seconds faster with the 2.5T I bet. So it's a different customer who would want the diesel vs the 2.5T in my humble opinion. And both customers exist in large numbers so I think Mazda would sell plenty of both to make it worth their trouble.

Definitely not slow. My point is that 0-60 (100kph) should be about 2 seconds faster with the 2.5T I bet. So it's a different customer who would want the diesel vs the 2.5T in my humble opinion. And both customers exist in large numbers so I think Mazda would sell plenty of both to make it worth their trouble.

The trick will be not to make the 2.5L Turbo in the CX-5 any heavier than the 2.2L TT diesel CX-5.

I suspect a 2.5L Turbo CX-5 0-60 would be somewhere around mid 6s to low 7s bracket, regardless if it is FWD or AWD

The trick will be not to make the 2.5L Turbo in the CX-5 any heavier than the 2.2L TT diesel CX-5.

I suspect a 2.5L Turbo CX-5 0-60 would be somewhere around mid 6s to low 7s bracket, regardless if it is FWD or AWD

I would have guessed low to mid 6 like the Subaru Forester XT. But a much more refined driving experience.

I would have guessed low to mid 6 like the Subaru Forester XT. But a much more refined driving experience.

If they get the gearing right (wink)

(iagree) about refinement

Yes, that do happen but I've still not needed AWD to help me. I can't think of a single time during my 22 years of driving, where AWD would have helped me accellerate and saved me, compared with my FWD cars.
And no way near enough times compared to other people pulling out in front of me (by accident or not), forcing me to do emergency braking (which actually do happen).
I believe awd its important. In my Office at exit There is a High hill hard to go up even without rain. When rain and there is traffic was a nightmare with my old cx9 2011 fwd. Now with my cx9 2016 awd its a different story.

Let me share a good argument I found on the forum some time ago:

I have the FWD, I wish I would have gotten the AWD even if I'm in Texas. Reasons for wanting AWD:
- Performance. The car will use all four tires when it needs to. This means corner exits are much better, standing starts are much better and the car is better balanced when loaded up. Towing is better from a traction standpoint with AWD.
- Wet weather traction. Doing a quick right turn on an intersection on wet roads can be a safety issue on FWD. In my case, I was spinning the inside tires due to the wet roads and the car took some time to regain traction. Another example is doing a protected left turn where the incoming car is not stopping. (This happened to my sister and she flipped over her Corolla as a result.) You better be able to get on the power and quickly finish your left turn, or you get hit.
- Out of state road trips. Just because I live in Texas doesn't mean I'm only going to be driving in Texas. It would be great to have a car that can do a road trip into a snowy state. (You can argue that FWD with winter tires is better, however it doesn't make sense to use winter tires in Texas. All season tires with AWD is a good compromise here.)
- Better modding potential. This really ties into my first point about performance. If you somehow mod it to where it makes more power, or put wider wheels/tires on it, the AWD version will put your mods to good use.

There are certainly some advantages to going with FWD, like cheaper price and better MPGs. In my case, I get MPGs similar to owners driving AWD CX-5s, so really I only got the cheaper price benefit.

just because you don't need it now doesn't mean you won't need it someday.

No need for snow/ice to justify AWD.

AWD can be beneficial even on wet grassy hill you might want to drive from time to time and stuff of that sort.

Off roading doesn't necessarily mean "muddin'" or "hill climbing", but it does include slippery, uneven surfaces where AWD pays off ten fold.

Enviado desde mi SM-G935F mediante Tapatalk

No that's two, I want it also.

Besides most manufacturers have a high powered version, at a premium.

So Mazda should put in 2.5T because one guys wants to buy it? Wouldnt that be very expensive?

No that's two, I want it also.

Besides most manufacturers have a high powered version, at a premium.

I would have gotten the 2.5T if it was available as well.

At that point, I would have also gotten AWD because it would make sense with 230 HP and then adding a tune to get to maybe 275 or more.

With 185 HP on a vehicle this heavy, wheel spin or wheel hop has not been a serious concern on my FWD so far, lol...This is a funny thread.

I would have gotten the 2.5T if it was available as well.

At that point, I would have also gotten AWD because it would make sense with 230 HP and then adding a tune to get to maybe 275 or more.

With 185 HP on a vehicle this heavy, wheel spin or wheel hop has not been a serious concern on my FWD so far, lol...This is a funny thread.

I don't think anyone here is claiming the AWD is useful because the CX5 is some powerful beast. We all know its far from that. It's for all those other situations you may find yourself in where AWD is useful.

I don't think anyone here is claiming the AWD is useful because the CX5 is some powerful beast. We all know its far from that. It's for all those other situations you may find yourself in where AWD is useful.

I have a 4WD truck for situations where AWD is useful in Texas. Not saying an AWD CX5 might not be needed up north, I have no idea, but even members here from Chicago, Canada, hell , even Denmark are saying it is not at current HP levels.

You can buy 200 HP Audi A4 in FWD or AWD. You can't buy a 350HP Audi S4 with FWD. It wouldn't make any sense.

Would also have gotten a 2.5T. I can't believe the misinformation about AWD.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I would say I'm definitely in the group who would option a 2.5T. I considered the 2.0T an advantage for the Escape. That being said the Skyactiv AT is well tuned and makes the most of what the 2.5 has got. The CX-5 was just better in so many other ways. This is why I feel like they'd sell a lot with the 2.5T.

For AWD it's definitely nice. I have it. But I just get annoyed when people attribute things to it that it doesn't do. Around here after a snow storm you'll see lots of A/4WD suvs in the ditch. But few cars. Even though both are out and about.

Would also have gotten a 2.5T. I can't believe the misinformation about AWD.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Yes so much misinformation...

AWD is not something needed to be reserved only for high HP applications. Even the 4WD HONDA CIVIC's had just 76 to 105 horsepower depending on generation.

Traction is traction, and it is the single most important thing in driving your vehicle safely. Your acceleration, your braking, your cornering, are all limited by your vehicles ability to have proper traction.

I think what astounds me the most is people will pay for AWD upgrades but then use crap worn out tires......

Back