Project Pay2Play: My Eunos Cosmo has arrived!

My Datsun 510 rolls on s.drives. you will love them. Super grippy. I've got about 15k miles on them with about 75% tread left. Couldn't ask for a better performance tire. The price is right too compared to the competition.

Good to know...Thanks for the feedback on those tires...I'm looking forward to see how they hold up on the mountain roads and on highway bends.

looking very nice Antoine.

Thanks Bruce!

Watch out for puddles though.... wet traction and water evacuation is like any other high performance summer tire.

Antoine

car is looking great, looks like they did a great job on the paintwork,, now look after it and watch out for low flying BMW's
heed GBean's warning as I had some Bridgestone MSOI's on my 17" rims which were amazing in the dry, however in the wet when on boost I lost the car sideways and I mean sideways twice, so be gentle on the power in the wet or you will be having more paintwork done..

I will be interested to see what mods your new garage comes up with for the Cosmo

Frank

Watch out for puddles though.... wet traction and water evacuation is like any other high performance summer tire.

Antoine

car is looking great, looks like they did a great job on the paintwork,, now look after it and watch out for low flying BMW's
heed GBean's warning as I had some Bridgestone MSOI's on my 17" rims which were amazing in the dry, however in the wet when on boost I lost the car sideways and I mean sideways twice, so be gentle on the power in the wet or you will be having more paintwork done..

I will be interested to see what mods your new garage comes up with for the Cosmo

Frank

Thanks Frank!

I hear ya...Not longer after I first bought my Cosmo, I was on my way to the Dealer after a heavy downpour...I accidentally pulled a 180 when merging from a small side street to a large street...Luckily there were no cars nearby at the time...After that experience, I've always been super cautious with the Cosmo in the rain.

Update!

Well I went to pickup my car today and...

The Good News: The Cosmo has never looked better...The new coating has a glossier / more polished look than the previous one and those new Yokohama tires look very meaty...The interior looks, feels and smells renewed and the 20B started right up...It was really nice to hear that familiar brawny sound from my MAZDASPEED exhaust...Before I left the shop, I talked with Kawato about future upgrades and possibilities...When I left the shop, man was I happy to be back in the Cosmo...I had a rush of emotion, I was elated to be driving my beloved Cosmo again...I was suddenly reminded why I dig this car so much...The low seating position, the wide view from the panoramic style windshield, the turbine like power delivery, that low brawny exhaust note, exterior looks that truly turn me on etc etc etc...I was in heaven.

Here are a couple shots just before I left the shop...

IMG_9196.jpg

IMG_9204.jpg

The Bad News: About 15 minutes into my heavenly drive, I experienced a sudden loss of power around 2000rpm and a little while after I realized I couldn't accelerate past 1500~2000rpm. I called Kawato and pulled into a convenience store parking lot...He came by with his flatbed and we went back to the shop...Unfortunately, his engine code scanner can't read 20B codes but he has a Mazda Dealer friend that can check tomorrow. After some preliminary checks including fuel pressure (which is fine most likely ruling out a fuel pump issue), it looks to be a sensor (or boost?) issue but I won't know more until tomorrow...The engine idles and revs beautifully but the problem appeared under load...After leaving the shop I did get gas and we thought maybe the stand attendant put in regular by mistake but I checked my receipt and it was high octane so that's not the problem...

Any ideas...Anyone experience a similar issue?

"Any ideas?"

Wow! With a Cosmo there are so many possibilities! Where do you start? and What else did he touch/bump/ accidentally disturb? Has some crap from the old fuel filter partially blocked a line? (I've experienced that on an SA22 that I had!), crook ignitor/s, dirty spark plugs etc etc etc! Something from the Battery change - broken or partially broken wire - How long is a piece of string?

We will stay tuned!

Kramer

Very true...To add to the mystery, Kawato just emailed me saying he can't duplicate the problem even after a 30 min drive! We'll see tomorrow if the Mazda code reader reveals anything...

I'm wondering if it could have anything to do with old gas mixing with the new gas and causing a temporary limp mode situation???

Does the Cosmo have a "limp mode"?

Yes - it does have a limp mode (not a lymph node!) First time I boosted seriously after installing RE Amemiya computer and high flow main turbo it must have a got an error message from the MAFS which immediately sent it into limp! I suspected it was starving a little or at least thought it was - the MAF probably was a little stiff and slow to respond.

And getting back to the my original suspicion - The SA22 I had had a very old fuel filter on it! It would start, run travel neatly for random kilometers, then the crud would build up around the fuel line and starve it under load, cough splutter and recover. Maybe there is some crud in the fuel tank? DMRH was always cleaning out crap from Cosmo fuel tanks that had such an issue - particularly from cars that sat unused for long periods!

Do you know how to fault code from from flashing ignition?

Kramer.

Last edited:
Issue Update!

Thanks for the info, Kramer...The issue I had last weekend did produce an error code...Code 27 (Open or Short Circuit OR Stuck MOP Sensor)...At first, Kawato thought I may have to replace my MOP / OMP (Oil Metering Pump) which I was shocked to find out costs 130,000 yen (well over $1000 USD)...Fortunately, he double checked and now the OMP seems to be functioning fine (the fact my Cosmo sat for 7 months may have caused the OMP to act up initially...Now with fresh oil circulating it should be ok)...After that initial scare, it seemed the Cosmo was ready to come home once again until this morning...Kawato wanted to double check everything was truly fine before I was due to pick it up today and just before I was about to head to his shop...He messaged me that he came across a new problem this morning...While performing a final test drive, he encountered the same "Limp Mode" type behavior (unable to accelerate past 2000rpm)...Kawato believes it's an electronic / sensor issue...He has already swapped out my Speed Sensor (with the one from his Cosmo) and I'm now waiting to find out more...

In other news...

This weekend is the annual Mazda & Rotary Fair in Kobe and hopefully I can attend tomorrow WITH my Cosmo if it's truly sorted in time...

file_20121015094359.jpg

Hope your Cosmo will be ready for the Mazda & Rotary Fair! looking forward to seeing pics :)
man I wish I'm back in JP to checkout these events. maybe next year.

D'oh! Always nice to see pics of the Cosmo. Hmm... I wonder if I could squeeze off a weekend trip to Japan during this trip... ;)

Issue Update!

Since taking my Cosmo back from TCP Magic, I have not run into the MOP issue...The day before I picked up my Cosmo, Kawato noticed that my Tranny Gear Indicator on the dash was blinking indicating there was a problem...He tracked it down to the Tranny Speed sensor and swapped out the one from his Cosmo which was turning smoothly with the one in my Cosmo that was not turning smoothly...The swap seems to have fixed that issue...

Here's a shot of the sensor (thanks to Kawato)...
IMG_5825.jpeg

Here's a rare sight...Two Cosmos in the same vicinity (Kawato's Cosmo on the lift and thanks again for the pic)...

IMG_1501.jpeg

While at the Mazda Rotary Event, Kawato told me he had spoke with RE-Amemiya and they said that I could replace my MOP with a modified one from an FC for A LOT LESS and it would function the same...Keep in mind that a new 20B MOP (just the part) in Japan is around $1600 (converted to U.S. Dollars)! A new FC MOP is considerably less expensive...One of the reasons the 20B MOP is so expensive is because it's electronically controlled and the fact that Mazda raises the prices on parts every year doesn't help...Although my MOP seems to be fine for now, Kawato suspects I've got some sort of electrical / sensor bug and not starting my 20B for months didn't help...:(

So I will most likely try this FC MOP swap in the future...I'll be sure to post about it when I do!

As for upgrades...After talking to Kawato about cooling, for my case...He thinks the stock oil and tranny cooler are sufficient for now and that I should go with a 3 Row / Core Aluminum Radiator from RE-Amemiya...The radiator core they use is the same design they used on their GT-300 Race Car which is certainly good to know! :D

Not sure when I'll do the radiator upgrade...Perhaps in Spring or Summer..? We'll see...:)

Just one thing that I noticed, if you gear indicator on the dash is alternating between "L, S, D" and "1, 2, 3" (can't remember exactly but I think that is it). Then it means that there is a fault with the TPS. My car did this when I wired the TWS around the wrong way, but it could be an issue with the sensor itself.

The TPS from a Supra is a direct replacement.

D'oh! Always nice to see pics of the Cosmo. Hmm... I wonder if I could squeeze off a weekend trip to Japan during this trip... ;)

That would be very cool...Let me know...:D

Just one thing that I noticed, if you gear indicator on the dash is alternating between "L, S, D" and "1, 2, 3" (can't remember exactly but I think that is it). Then it means that there is a fault with the TPS. My car did this when I wired the TWS around the wrong way, but it could be an issue with the sensor itself.

The TPS from a Supra is a direct replacement.

Thanks for the info, Berty...Sounds like that's what Kawato witnessed...Good to know the Supra TPS is a direct replacement.

Excited that I'll be attending the Mazda Fan Festa 2012 with the Cosmo...Hopefully I won't be the only Eunos Cosmo AGAIN this year!

It's been a while since the last update. Anything new?

It has been a while, thanks for asking!

I've been driving / enjoying my Cosmo routinely the past few months and keeping a list of things that need attention...I'll post up that list soon...I do have to get my inspection (Shaken) done in August and I plan on doing some minor upgrades at the same time...Kawato from TCP Magic will be handling my inspection and upgrades...Stay tuned for updates!

Back