Project Pay2Play: My Eunos Cosmo has arrived!

14.5-15V would be borderline high. Good that you checked it at different RPM.

Its just funny for me to read "hard acceleration" when it means high RPM. But I get the point. Let us know when you resolve this. I'm doing a 3 rotor swap in my FD in next 6 months and will be using an FD alternator.

Got the Cosmo back and everything seems fine...I wasn't able to get the details on the fix because my friend at the Dealer had the day off but I'll find out next time I visit...:)

On another note...Man, this summer heat & humidity combined with slow poke drivers everywhere is making me wish I had an upgraded cooling system...I was in traffic the other day, driving up a mountain road and my OIL & WATER temps were heating up quite a bit (around 105* centigrade) and even higher while I was backing into my parking space (109/110* centigrade).

That said...The Cosmo feels great, as strong as ever...I wish I had done the alternator upgrade sooner! :D

Lovin your cosmo Antoine. This thread has helped inspire me to finally get a cosmo like I've always wanted. So I guess I owe you my thanks :D

Glad to hear that everything is ok, now.
So your nex upgrade is the cooling system? :)

That's the plan...Going to take a while to plan & save for it because I want to upgrade the radiator, intercooler and possibly the oil coolers as one monster staged project! The Mazda Dealer I goto has a local radiator shop contact that may be able to custom fabricate everything which would be great because I definitely want to be as "hands on" as possible...I've already got layout / setup ideas in mind! :D

Lovin your cosmo Antoine. This thread has helped inspire me to finally get a cosmo like I've always wanted. So I guess I owe you my thanks :D

Welcome to the club and thanks man...That's awesome...Be sure to start your own intro thread and post plenty of (pics)!

Nice username BTW...;)

Quick Update on the Alternator Upgrade...After having the initial upgrade issues sorted, the Cosmo has been running like a champ and the battery draining issues seem to have gone away...The Cosmo starts right up without hesitation even after a week or two of no action which is a major relief!

The good news doesn't stop there...Now that the weather has cooled down drastically, the Cosmo HAS NEVER FELT BETTER! Man...I should have done that alternator upgrade a long time ago...Combined with cool weather & "POWER" mode...The Cosmo feels like a caged BULL...Love it! (rockon)

Out of curiosity, where do you work on your car? It looks like you park in a parking garage.

Yeah...I've got my own spot in the garage, most of the maintenance and upgrades are done at the Mazda Dealer I go to...Maybe in the future I'll get a house and if that happens, I would love to have my own garage built to my specs...Ohhh how it's nice to dream...:p

In other news...Guess where I'll be this weekend...(rockon)

file_20101103155404.jpg

Took this quick vid after a cruise a few weeks ago...Enjoy! :D

<object width="640" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s6nb5wHaJiE?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></object>

In other news...While driving back from the airport after picking up my Parents, some guy in a Lexus IS F was tailgating me big time and then gunned it when going around because I refused to move...I could have sped up but I was cruising at a healthy speed already...Guess the guy thought he was "King of the Road" lol...That said, I could definitely hear that V8 roar as he mashed the throttle to get around me...Sounded pretty good but the Cosmo moves for no Lexus. ;)

UPDATE! Had to replace and fix a few parts over the past couple months...During the winter holidays, I had the unfortunate experience of having no choice but to leave my Cosmo in a shopping mall parking lot overnight because it was late and the 20B would simply not fire even though the engine was cranking over...:( I informed my friend and the next morning he arrived at my place with a flatbed...We then went to rescue my lonely Cosmo.

Fortunately, the Cosmo started but it had flooded and took a while to idle smoothly after firing up...I then drove it back to the Mazda Dealer to get checked out...Here's what they found and repaired or replaced...

Crankshaft Angle Sensor (CAS): Sending intermittent signals to the ECU causing the Cosmo to occasionally not fire-up when cranking - REPLACED with Brand New OEM unit (NOT CHEAP IN JAPAN)

Water Temp Sensor: Corroded by rust and sending unreliable information causing the 20B to run super rich - REPAIRED, cleaned and reconnected with custom wrap to prevent water/moisture from causing the same problem in the future

Spark Plugs: After the CAS and Water Temp Sensor caused the 20B to run super rich, flood and ultimately not fire-up...The poor spark plugs were beyond cleaning - REPLACED all spark plugs with Brand New NGKs (took a while to track down the proper trailing plugs for the 20B but my friend tracked them down)

Optima Battery: I decided to take this opportunity while the Cosmo was in for repairs to replace the temperamental Optima Battery (red-top) so I don't have to worry if my Cosmo will start after a couple weeks etc - REPLACED with a Top-Of-The-Line Mazda Battery and after three weeks of no driving (been busy), the 20B started right up without a hiccup!

LifeWINK: A simple but wonderful LED meter that sits on top of your battery and tells you its current condition at ALL TIMES! It takes very little energy to run and also tells you if there is a problem with your battery and or electrical system (alternator). Another great feature is that Dealers and Repair Shops that have the LifeWINK reader can easily tap into the meter and see detailed data about your battery's cycles etc - INSTALLED and informing me that my new Mazda Battery is still fully charged (http://panasonic.jp/car/battery/lifewink/index.html)

Just went for a blast through the mountains yesterday and the Cosmo ran like a champ...Happy to have the Cosmo running at 100% once again! :D

Last edited:
that life wink thing looks pretty cool, i wonder if it will ever be available stateside. glad to hear you got everything fixed

I should take a video of the LifeWINK system, it's a must have for people who have rides they don't drive every day...:)

Mini-Update...

* The Premium Mazda Battery has been great, maintains charge A LOT better than that damn OPTIMA.

* I've noticed what seems like improved gas mileage after the spark plugs were replaced which would make sense...

* My driver's side seat belt is stuck in fully unwound mode, not sure if it's just stuck or the mechanism is broken/old/needing replacement..?

* Highway / Highspeed cruising has never been smoother! On an empty stretch of highway, at an already high rate of speed, I accelerated an additional 30km/h with such smoothness and ease that I was almost in disbelief despite being used to the Cosmos characteristics...When you've got your 20B in its sweet spot, it's pure AWESOME and one of the many reasons I love the Cosmo!

Antione,

Can you track some extra OE sparks for me?

Next time I drop by the Dealer I can ask...My friend there had a hard time locating the factory spec trailing plugs (despite being in Japan), he had to get in contact with NGK themselves and track down a set...Took awhile...What do all those cats running 20Bs in the U.S. use? There must be a suitable alternative available stateside..?

Back