Project Pay2Play: My Eunos Cosmo has arrived!

Mini-Update...Turns out my Driver's-Side Seatbelt mechanism has "bit the dust"...Replaced it with the last unit currently in the Official Mazda Parts network...Apparently they made a batch of EC parts 10 years ago or so and the unit I have was the last one currently in stock (which was from that batch)...The seat belt itself has a slightly different weave pattern than the original belt (newer type/design).

I've kept the original unit just in case it can be rebuilt or reused somehow (unlikely though).

Also...After going on a recent highway run, I must have hit an insect migration or something...The windshield was covered in splattered insects and so were the front bumper and side mirrors...Fortunately, because of the EC's sleek design, the rest of the Cosmo remained insect splatter free...:D

Update!

The time has finally come to wake up the Cosmo from a very long sleep and get it up and running once again...Since my Mazda Dealer friend started working in another city, it has become difficult to keep in touch...So I've decided to go with a Pro Shop this time and after looking through all the business cards I have, I found one card from Taisuke Kawato, owner of TCP Magic (tcp-magic.com). I've met Kawato several times at various Mazda related events and track days...He specializes in Rotary Mazdas / RWD Cars and offers a variety of services and products. One of his recent builds is a custom 4Rotor for MadMike.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PArQgneeCe4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Here's a shakedown vid from 2011 of his 4Rotor RX-7 (not sure yet if this became the MadMike 7..?)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/patRgfKN3ww?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

There are several renowned Mazda Tuners in the Kansai area of Japan that I could entrust with my Cosmo...I've decided to try Kawato / TCP Magic because he seems like a genuine guy and true enthusiast who really enjoys tuning and racing Rotary Mazdas. His shop is located in the Nishinomiya countryside, not that far from where I live in Kobe.

The first order of business is to pick up my Cosmo and repair the gash provided by the person who parks next to me under my apartment building. Fortunately, their insurance will handle the cost of repairs and since TCP Magic can also handle body work, they will be taking care of it.

Next on the list is a new battery, new tires and a total maintenance check.

After that we will see so stay tuned for updates! :D

I'm looking forward to getting the Cosmo back in action and working with Kawato from TCP Magic...Here's a shot from the last event I went to with the Cosmo...

6526068321_e8c2977cab_b.jpg

Update

Kawato came by personally with a flatbed and a nice rental car (paid for by the other insurance company)...The Cosmo started right up after replacing the dead battery and then he drove it out of the garage and on to the flatbed...My Cosmo is now at his shop in Nishinomiya awaiting some much overdue TLC. The first stage is taking care of the damage to the front fender and bumper etc caused by the BMW owner over the next couple weeks...

Antoine

I thought you had been quiet, no wonder with the car off the road,, sorry to hear about the damage by the friendly BMW,, obviously too friendly
good luck with the repairs and service etc,, you will have to save up and give the new garage free rein on turning your Cosmo in to a real sleeper

Awesome! 4 Rotor Swap? =)

Maybe if I win the lottery...lol...Seems all the 4Rotors built to date are for race applications...I wonder if anyone has built a 4Rotor application that is truly streetable..? The Scoot 7 comes to mind but to what degree...I don't know...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/N2qc_--Vyqc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Antoine

I thought you had been quiet, no wonder with the car off the road,, sorry to hear about the damage by the friendly BMW,, obviously too friendly
good luck with the repairs and service etc,, you will have to save up and give the new garage free rein on turning your Cosmo in to a real sleeper

Thanks Frank...One thing after another has been keeping my attention away from the Cosmo for the last half year...I THOUGHT my precious ride would be safe parked underground until it was time to be revived but alas it wasn't...On the plus side, this has prompted me to revive the Cosmo and start working with a new shop.

I'm definitely saving up for future upgrades...I'm excited about the possibilities now that I'll be working with a proper tuning shop! (laugh)

Plus it would break the purity of the thing :) the 4 rotors which are found around the traps are usually frankenstiens with custom escentric shafts to make them work (effectively joining 2 13b's together).. the "genuine article" is not something you'll find.

There is plenty of potential in the 20B though, if you want to make it animalistic. You'd probably be better spending your money there then dumping the cash on a bespoke engine...

While I like to "entertain" the idea of a 4Rotor Cosmo...I love the 20B and the fact the Eunos Cosmo is the only production car that came with one is reason enough never to swap it out for anything else! :)

While I like to "entertain" the idea of a 4Rotor Cosmo...I love the 20B and the fact the Eunos Cosmo is the only production car that came with one is reason enough never to swap it out for anything else! :)

that and the 20B will give you more than enough power for a road car. You're not building a race car. Even as a race motor the 20B is crazy...

UPDATE!

I'll be getting the Cosmo back this weekend...Here's the completed TLC list in addition to repairing the damage...Now that I'm working with a Tuning Shop, I realize my options are endless...Kawato has recommended some products / brands that I didn't know about before working with him...

* New Tires (235/40R18 255/35R18) | Yokohama DNA S.drive (recommended)

* New Battery (80D23L) | ATLASBX Co (recommended)
A Korean brand I had never heard but he claims it's strong and its much cheaper than the Mazda or Optima battery...I'm looking forward to see how it holds up!

* New Front Brake Pads (M type) | DIXCEL (recommended)
A Japanese brand...I wanted brake pads that provide good performance but with low dust and noise, we'll see how the M types fair!

* Oil & Filter Change (5.5L) | SpeedMaster Oil (recommended)
A Japanese brand...Kawato carries Speed Master and Red Line Oil, he recommended Speed Master for street use.

* New Fuel Filter
I requested this...Who knows when it was last replaced.

* New Paint Coating
Had the whole Cosmo re-coated...Protects and preserves the paint.

* Interior Cleaning
I've wanted to have the Cosmo interior professionally cleaned since I first bought it...The interior has always been "clean" (and in good condition) but the car is now 17 years old and was starting to smell like it...lol.

* Front Spoiler Repaired
The front spoiler / lip had some nicks and paint cracking, had it repaired and repainted.

Kawato was great with updates, he provided pics without me having to ask...

My Cosmo without a face!
IMG_2089.jpg

The DIXCEL M types compared to the old Mazda ones...
IMG_5668.jpg

New Yokohama DNA S.drive tires...
IMG_6085.jpg

The BMW had hit the point where the front bumper meets the fender...Looking a lot better now!
IMG_4381.jpg

I stopped by the shop last night and talked with Kawato and his young staff mechanic a bit...Turns out I'm his only Eunos Cosmo customer currently (no surprise) although he bought one from a Customer a few years ago...It's parked in his lot waiting for some TLC. Being a tuning shop, you know he's got to have some interesting cars around...Here's one you might recognize if you follow drifting...

Magic7.jpg

What caught my eye was this modified 90's Supra...Turns out it's an old project car pumping out 700hp and built for high speed runs, capable of 300+ km/h (186+ mph)! Sorry no pic at this time but it's a really nice machine...I'll have to take some pics next time!

My Datsun 510 rolls on s.drives. you will love them. Super grippy. I've got about 15k miles on them with about 75% tread left. Couldn't ask for a better performance tire. The price is right too compared to the competition.

Back