zhy's progress followup [student budget!]

2ustugw.jpg

The brotg and its new house :)

where did you get the mazdaspeed pedals?

I bought them from a fellow on here for like 40$, clutch pedal is pretty worn out tho, a set should cost you like 100$, and you have to drill out the holes for your gas pedals, cuz the MS speed pedals is held on with bolts and nuts, its pretty simple

So heres my most recent update.. i JUST finished dealing with all the rust, im pretty proud of myself! I debadged my trunk as well, im gonna make a how-to post about that later. Heres how it went down in a few pictures...!

First off, sanded very throughoutly the fender with 80grit
wvby9HV.jpg

Primered with antirust primer, and also added some mesh behind to make the repair much more efficient
jryB6IU.jpg

Filled with bondo
5FkLg8t.jpg

Sanded down with 80grit, then 150 to "featheredge"
USOR3u9.jpg

Removing the side skirts.. I found this... you can imagine my reaction!
0FKmvG0.jpg

3 coats of primer applied
KRRJFlF.jpg

Doing the fenders, I found some buddles right over both my headlights.. (Kinda hard to see.. but they're there and theyre heavy, f*cking cancer!)
oQ2AmNf.jpg

z9KH5w2.jpg

Doin the same with my passenger-side fender
SrtwEn2.jpg

I wanted to debadge the pro5 for preventive measures.. I see ALOT of p5's over here in Quebec with lots of rust coming from the emblem..
and ofcourse... because it looks awsome (shady)
XA4H4ih.jpg

Applied the same treatment
tHwmkZ0.jpg

After 3 coats of primer, 3 coats of 22V sunlight silver paint, 3 coats of clear
How good does that look!!!!!
dfD9okn.jpg

VZpFG40.jpg

lsXLtne.jpg

I dun 'goofed up a little on the hatch.. paint everywhere on the windows.. But its an easy fix. ;)
VdeLbzX.jpg

I realised I had to do something about the doors and the underneath part of the side skirt.
W35nc4w.jpg

qmZGFVW.jpg

so I got to work again.. Looks messy because I havent given the car a good wash in a while.. It caught all the sanding dust from the bondo
5AR4a6s.jpg

Oh.. While doing bodywork.. I noticed this hanging from underneath the car... can we still call this a "heatshield" ??
TxzcB1A.jpg

The whole body work process took about 2 weeks since I wanted to take it slow & do a good job. I think it turned out AWSOME

Now for today.. Ive done what I wanted to do for a looooooooong time. Paint the damn calipers (Isnt that what most ppl do FIRST on their car? it took me 1 and a half year lol)
Started off with a "before picture" , im gonna post the "after" later down!

Painted my calipers yellow.. I think red is over-rated :)
lFzknbE.jpg

My masking job was not as bad as I think it would be
8NtQFK4.jpg

the "after" shot, after painting calipers, painting rusty axle nut / center cap, after cleaning the wheels throughoutly .. I forgot the tire-shine :(
o0Xv32n.jpg

MONEYSHOT
g4YS8E5.jpg

NICE!

That is all.

*except the calipers..not my thing, but to each their own!

*Edit. Upon further review.. I take it back, even the calipers looks sweet.

looks like you had fun, i just hope that the bondo does not shrink and cause you issues. Most body shops will cut out the rust and fill the holes with new metal to eliminate it from coming back, same thing on the hatch the holes are normally welded close then the body work begins. Just hope that after winter you do not have to redo everything as the rust is still there.

looks like you had fun, i just hope that the bondo does not shrink and cause you issues. Most body shops will cut out the rust and fill the holes with new metal to eliminate it from coming back, same thing on the hatch the holes are normally welded close then the body work begins. Just hope that after winter you do not have to redo everything as the rust is still there.

I hope as well it doesnt come back.. I made sure to primer the area before applying bondo.. it should do the trick..!

NICE!

That is all.

*except the calipers..not my thing, but to each their own!

*Edit. Upon further review.. I take it back, even the calipers looks sweet.

Thanks I appreciate it ! :D

You guys have a bad time with rust over there don't you :( I have never seen rust on our SP20s over here and most of them live near the coast.

You might consider ordering some POR-15 and coating the rust areas from the back of the panel (where you can). That should help it from rusting inside out.

You might consider ordering some POR-15 and coating the rust areas from the back of the panel (where you can). That should help it from rusting inside out.

You guys have a bad time with rust over there don't you :( I have never seen rust on our SP20s over here and most of them live near the coast.

I know.. preventing rust coming from the pannels themselves is almost impossible.. I did get my car rustproofed this last summer and its getting another shot this fall. I hope i dont have to go through this again next year haha.. It sure wont be as bad at is was.

update! ive managed to find a nice DG lip, pretty cheap too! So I painted it, as well as my A-pillars (you can see hanging from the garage door hehe)
cETqjQD.jpg

Final product.. pretty bad pictures I need to take better ones!
E9GGH2o.jpg

Q5wOB9u.jpg

Looking good!

Which exhaust are you running? Looks very pretty :) And how much of a PITA was putting in HID's in the fog light housings?
I miss having the option to turn on my fog lights. (Still have halogen in mine..looks like garbage IMO)

Looking good!

Which exhaust are you running? Looks very pretty :) And how much of a PITA was putting in HID's in the fog light housings?
I miss having the option to turn on my fog lights. (Still have halogen in mine..looks like garbage IMO)

Used some regular Halogen bulbs to replace the broken bulbs.. no HID's man haha but thanks for the words!

Im new to this whole "modding" cars things. On a tight budget as this thred says. But does anyone have extra parts theyre willing to come off of/ sell. Any and all help will be appreciated thanks so much.

Im new to this whole "modding" cars things. On a tight budget as this thred says. But does anyone have extra parts theyre willing to come off of/ sell. Any and all help will be appreciated thanks so much.

It is brother. Most ive spent on a part was the suspension.. 200$ ish for 4 springs and 2 struts
rims were 150$
lip was 50$
etc. Just spent lots of time on it :)

Dude, I'm happy to see that your rust repair turned out so good! I plan on doing it the same way to my ES within the next 2 weeks! Luckily I have a little less rust, but it'll be a chore regardless!

I also plan to remove the rear badges.

Nice progress man. I have been inspired! Haha...I think rust is a killer...before I bought my car, it was in New York, so it has major rust issues on the under side, so I know how that is. Keep up the good work man...its coming along nice.

Hey my Canadian friend! I love what you've done with your MP5. Subbed for references ^^

Back