zhy's progress followup [student budget!]

Fluid film is great stuff for the inside of doors and other places where it's not directly exposed to the elements (it tends to wash off pretty quick). For the underside of the car, get yourself a big 4L bucket of this stuff and brush on a nice thick coat. It lasts very long and works pretty well. Don't be lazy and buy the spray-on version, it's even more of a pain to work with (getting that s*** out of your hair/skin is not fun) and you'll never get as thick of a coat. You'll use about 3/4 of the 4L bucket to do the underside of a P5 :)

For that stuck suspension bolt, have you tried periodically soaking it with something like PB Blaster? I've had very good luck with that product in the past.

Regarding doing bodywork please be careful, once you grind down to bare metal you need to coat the metal with a "rust converter" product and then some primer before you start with the body filler. Otherwise your work will look good for 4-5 months and then it'll start rusting through again. Doing bodywork properly is pretty difficult and even after doing it a few times, I still don't have great results. Rust is a b****...

Every day I go and immerse it into PB blaster... still wont budge... im desperated now.. maybe an impact.. we'll see
and thanks for the hint, i havent done any serious research on bodywork but that is a good advice, ty!

No more 4x4 height! Very happy with the results.. also took away the damn clunking by replacing all 4 endlinks

w27gfEu.jpg

2WeZ7SU.jpg

Passes the shoe test! (if you watch MCM, youll know what I mean!)
z29Vhsh.jpg

For the underside of the car, get yourself a big 4L bucket of this stuff and brush on a nice thick coat. It lasts very long and works pretty well. Don't be lazy and buy the spray-on version, it's even more of a pain to work with (getting that s*** out of your hair/skin is not fun) and you'll never get as thick of a coat. You'll use about 3/4 of the 4L bucket to do the underside of a P5 :)

Does the underside of the car need to be clean and dry before putting that stuff on ?? I just got my car Krowned (undercoated) a couple of days ago and I would like to put that stuff on for even more protection but I have a couple of reservations.

1: My underside is all oily now.

2: When I scraped off the rust last summer I noticed that there would be a small rust spot showing through the original factory black undercoating. When I started to scrape, I found that the rust had migrated up to 5 inches underneath the black stuff. I don't want to put anything on that's going to dry out then work towards sealing in any moisture. I've heard of guys mixing grease and tar and heating it so they can spread it. That makes sense to me because the stuff would always remain a little oily to keep the metal coated with oily residue.

I'm thinking I might want to use grease under there instead. I've never tried it before,... What do you think,... any personal experience you may with any of this I would appreciate knowing.

Thanks

Does the underside of the car need to be clean and dry before putting that stuff on ?? I just got my car Krowned (undercoated) a couple of days ago and I would like to put that stuff on for even more protection but I have a couple of reservations.

1: My underside is all oily now.

2: When I scraped off the rust last summer I noticed that there would be a small rust spot showing through the original factory black undercoating. When I started to scrape, I found that the rust had migrated up to 5 inches underneath the black stuff. I don't want to put anything on that's going to dry out then work towards sealing in any moisture. I've heard of guys mixing grease and tar and heating it so they can spread it. That makes sense to me because the stuff would always remain a little oily to keep the metal coated with oily residue.

I'm thinking I might want to use grease under there instead. I've never tried it before,... What do you think,... any personal experience you may with any of this I would appreciate knowing.

Thanks

Regular application of something like Krown undercoating (nasty thick grease) is probably the best thing you can do. I really doubt you can use the product I linked to over top of an oily undercoating, it would never adhere properly.

If you really want to use an undercoating I think this would be the way to do it: remove as much of the factory undercoating as possible, paint over the rust with some rust paint (eg. rustoleum, POR15, etc), and finally apply a thick layer of undercoating.

I get my car sprayed at Krown every April and everytime I look at the underside before the spray it looks all dry, but apparently the stuff penetrates the metal and keeps working even when it looks dry, so I might be overly concerned.

I might give it a couple of months to dry up a bit then go at it with some heavy grease (It should "blend" or "mix" with any remaining oil. I'd use anti-sieze but that stuff's expensive) maybe I can find some truck grease or something,.. what they might use on their 5th wheel or something.

Rust is my mortal enemy I intend to throw everything at it.

P.S. I don't think I'm thread jacking on accounta I've seen zhy's car and damn,.. he's got some work to do. (I'd like to see the underside of his car,... I'll check this thread again)

I get my car sprayed at Krown every April and everytime I look at the underside before the spray it looks all dry, but apparently the stuff penetrates the metal and keeps working even when it looks dry, so I might be overly concerned.

If it's dry, it's probably dry :p

I wouldn't trust their marketing material. I think it doesn't really matter if the coating wears off because by the time that happens you end up re-applying it so there isn't much time for the metal to start rusting.

I might give it a couple of months to dry up a bit then go at it with some heavy grease (It should "blend" or "mix" with any remaining oil. I'd use anti-sieze but that stuff's expensive) maybe I can find some truck grease or something,.. what they might use on their 5th wheel or something.

Let us know what you end up doing, I'm still trying to decide on what to coat the bottom of my tercel with :)

Rust is my mortal enemy I intend to throw everything at it.

P.S. I don't think I'm thread jacking on accounta I've seen zhy's car and damn,.. he's got some work to do. (I'd like to see the underside of his car,... I'll check this thread again)

Meh, it's good info and I'm sure zhy is interested (if not, tell us and we'll stfu).

Loving the drop bro! Can't wait to drop my car haha.

The MSP end link was a perfect fit?

exactly, rear MSP endlinks fit perfect for a drop with OEM shocks and tein springs (Id tend to say any aftermarket spring).. 1inch shorter made a whole world of difference haha

If you ever do, send me a PM, we can do it together & other stuff, cheese that applies for you too haha!

Meh, it's good info and I'm sure zhy is interested (if not, tell us and we'll stfu).

Oh cmon hahah im the one with the rusted car here! Not at all, in my case, my pro5 has black undercoating under the frame of the car but its dry and it must have been applied a long time ago.. this summer its either Asphalt rubber undercoating or rustproof for my p5... the suspension parts arent rustproofed so yeah that was a factor that gave me such a hell of a time with mine..

Last edited:
Oh cmon hahah im the one with the rusted car here! Not at all, in my case, my pro5 has black undercoating under the frame of the car but its dry and it must have been applied a long time ago.. this summer its either Asphalt rubber undercoating or rustproof for my p5... the suspension parts arent rustproofed so yeah that was a factor that gave me such a hell of a time with mine..

My car has that black stuff on it too,... I think it's factory,... maybe an option. Make sure you scrape the flaky stuff off before you undercoat or rustproof. There was spots on mine where you couldn't see any bubbling underneath it but it was wet and rusted for 5 inches or more in all directions. (the car was completely dry except for under the black stuff.) You don't wanna seal all that moisture in.

Fluid film is great stuff for the inside of doors and other places where it's not directly exposed to the elements (it tends to wash off pretty quick). For the underside of the car, get yourself a big 4L bucket of this stuff and brush on a nice thick coat. It lasts very long and works pretty well. Don't be lazy and buy the spray-on version, it's even more of a pain to work with (getting that s*** out of your hair/skin is not fun) and you'll never get as thick of a coat. You'll use about 3/4 of the 4L bucket to do the underside of a P5 :)

Thanks for the response, I find Fluid Film holds up okay in the wheel wells and subframes area maybe another coat would be better, in fact I used a combination of Fluid Film and Rust Cure from Canadian Tire (which appears to be pretty much the same thing but cheaper). It did wash off the frame rails quicker than I wished but they are still somewhat oily to the touch. What I like about it is that its safe around rubber and can be used to lubricate anything (lubed around the windows seals and it made rolling the windows smoother).

I looked into the asphalt rubber but I'm afraid it might trapp moisture and accelerate the rust on my underbody, what do you think? Fluid film doesn't create a seal so moisture is always expelled, according to what they say anyway.

I think you car isn't that rusted :p

Your rear quarters looks brand new compared to mine
IMG_0283_comp.jpg

Driver side as been severely attacked by the rough montreal roads/salt and also be me, I ripped off big chunk in the process of sanding the rust. I plan to cut all this and weld a new panel and threat it with por15
IMG_0282_comp.jpg

Thanks for the response, I find Fluid Film holds up okay in the wheel wells and subframes area maybe another coat would be better, in fact I used a combination of Fluid Film and Rust Cure from Canadian Tire (which appears to be pretty much the same thing but cheaper). It did wash off the frame rails quicker than I wished but they are still somewhat oily to the touch. What I like about it is that its safe around rubber and can be used to lubricate anything (lubed around the windows seals and it made rolling the windows smoother).

I looked into the asphalt rubber but I'm afraid it might trapp moisture and accelerate the rust on my underbody, what do you think? Fluid film doesn't create a seal so moisture is always expelled, according to what they say anyway.

View attachment 201862

Driver side as been severely attacked by the rough montreal roads/salt and also be me, I ripped off big chunk in the process of sanding the rust. I plan to cut all this and weld a new panel and threat it with por15
View attachment 201861

Hahah your passenger-side doesnt look that bad.. but the driver side.. wow! You should maybe have acted when you could! hahah good luck with the repair

Funny thing is that most of the rust on my pannels are on the front.. when yours is in the rear.. o_O
maybe your front fenders got replaced at some time

View attachment 201862

View attachment 201861

I agree with you on the fluid film,... it's great stuff, nice and thick and goopy but still oily enough to creep into cracks and crevices. I coated my old Tracker inside body panels and it was still clinging there more than five years later,... I splurged and bought the 4 liter jug. The only thing I don't like about it is the price,... $15 a can at full price $9.99 on sale. I love the Rust Cure too it's kind of a gel with lots of creep and I got it at TSC stores last year (I don't know if you've got that store in Quebec,... it's a farm products store) for $5 a can (regular $11 a can, so I bought half a dozen cans). Maybe the fluid film is so expensive because they have to hire all those sheep to donate their body oils to make it (it's got lanolin in it,... It kinda stinks like a barn animal too).

But,... as you said everything seems to wash or wear off the undercarriage and I'm worried about the asphalt rubber stuff too so I think I'll just avoid it. (I'll let you know how the grease coating goes when I get to it in a month or two)

I got Car Quest to mix me up some paint last year,... it was only $20 for a pressurized glass spray bomb with about a pint or so in it. I gave them my colour code (A3E Classic Red) and it was a perfect match. (except you can still see where I sprayed cause I suck at painting,... I was doing OK up until the top coat.)
Maybe your color fades more than mine but the match was dead on for my car (nothing available for me at Canadian Tire for my car).

Too bad you couldn't have purchased the car a year or two ago,... then you wouldn't have to piece in any metal,... just the rust converter, bondo and paint.
You might want to consider fiberglass instead. I did that years ago on my GLC for a huge 18" hole in the rear wheel well. You can use chicken wire to make a frame work in the wheel wells to hold the fiberglass while it dries. That was easier for me because I suck at welding.

You might be interested in this from rockauto they're only $43.50 but shipping is a b**** and they only have the right side at the moment.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3499530&cc=1387447
WheelArches_zps2dbbdf35.jpg

Last edited:
Yea not much deals on Fluid Film around here but I find one can do much more surface than a Rust Cure can, might be just the way it sprays in smaller drops.

Is the grease coating similar to Zeibart coating?

I got the car for 650$ so I couldn't complain much about the rust, but I'll do my best to make it look good and rust free on the cheap. If I get the money I'll get a few cans of a mixed paint matching the car (color code 22V). Both drivers doors have been replaced after a small accident and both are not quite the right silver, same thing with the hatch around the badge to cover up the usual rust in that area.

I plan to por15/bondo the passager side which is in much better shape, but the driver side is really junk. I did see the rockauto panel but adding shipping to canada, it's not worth it. I would rather scavenge a panel in better condition at the junkyard and make sure it never rust with por15. There are alternative to welding for this kind of panel :http://www.shop3m.com/60980030930.html it's kinda hard to find but they claim this is what OEM recommend and will hold better than the metal sheet itself.

Would fiberglass be cheaper? I think the difficulty would be the re-create the shape of the panel as big portion of the lower lip have been ripped of

Yea not much deals on Fluid Film around here but I find one can do much more surface than a Rust Cure can, might be just the way it sprays in smaller drops.

Is the grease coating similar to Zeibart coating?

I got the car for 650$ so I couldn't complain much about the rust, but I'll do my best to make it look good and rust free on the cheap. If I get the money I'll get a few cans of a mixed paint matching the car (color code 22V). Both drivers doors have been replaced after a small accident and both are not quite the right silver, same thing with the hatch around the badge to cover up the usual rust in that area.

I plan to por15/bondo the passager side which is in much better shape, but the driver side is really junk. I did see the rockauto panel but adding shipping to canada, it's not worth it. I would rather scavenge a panel in better condition at the junkyard and make sure it never rust with por15. There are alternative to welding for this kind of panel :http://www.shop3m.com/60980030930.html it's kinda hard to find but they claim this is what OEM recommend and will hold better than the metal sheet itself.

Would fiberglass be cheaper? I think the difficulty would be the re-create the shape of the panel as big portion of the lower lip have been ripped of

No I'm not talking about anything like Ziebart or Crown,... I'm talking about crawling under the car with a big tube of grease (I'm thinking maybe looking into something truckers might use on their 5th wheel, really heavy stuff that won't wash off. I'd use anti-seize but that stuff's expensive) and caking the hell out of everything my brush or grimy fingers can reach. I don't know of anyone who's done it, I'm just thinking outside of the box to help arm myself for my battle against rust.

Here's a link to the fiberglass kit at CT: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...24P/Bondo+Resin+Repair+Kit,+1+L.jsp?locale=en

It's got everything you would need for the repair and then some.
You might wanna buy the stuff separately,... I prefer the glass weave over the matt, it's a bit more workable. You'll see the difference when you check out the supplies. Some places sell the weave by the foot but you don't need that much.

You don't make a mold then put it on your car,... you just apply the stuff directly to the car, it bonds very well to metal. (after sanding down to bare metal just like applying ordinary Bondo,... I find a wire wheel on a drill works best. You have to get right into the pits in the metal till everything is completely shiny, even in the depths of the little pit holes. The surface doesn't have to be smooth, in fact the rough pitted surface may cling to the fiberglass better. The bristles of the wire wheel dig in pretty good. You don't want to remove too much metal because it's gonna be your framework for laying the wet fiberglass. That's the hard part.

Laying stripps of fiberglass is like trying to lay stripps of bacon on your car. (normal bacon, not the Canadian bacon we're famous for EH!) It's like paper mache, it lays down nice on a horizontal surface with something underneath it (like chicken wire or even paper or cardboard or that yellow/orange spray foam that's hardened then shaped. You would spray that stuff behind the fender to take the shape of the original fender to stick the cloth to then remove it after the fiberglass hardens.) You can't use styrofoam,... liquid resin melts it. Apply some resin to the car with a paintbrush first instead of dipping the strips in the resin. You "paint" the car with resin, then stick the dry strip to it then apply more resin on top then tap it with the end of the bristles. (I cut the bristles in half for that brush. You want to bang the bubbles out of the cloth. It should look clear, any whiteness is a bubble).

This is what Tamn did in his thread (awesome thread,.. I think he's nuts,... I love it):
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123812526-Protege5-Smarter-not-Harder!
Foam_zps5fadaa46.jpg

If you have a full surface area available, you can get the stuff to cling to a vertical surface.
The worse part of working with fiberglass is that it's a freakin mess. It sticks then bonds everything,.. your tools, hands, fingernails,... everything. I've got some tools in my toolbox with fiberglass resin still stuck to them after more than ten years.

It's hard to be neat when you work with it. You apply one strip, then your fingers are sticky and you go to pick up the next piece and you grab the edge and a couple of strands pull off the strip (that's another reason why I prefer the weave over the matt,.. it doesn't come apart as bad) then you use your other hand to pull the string off then it's stuck to both hands the original strip joins the party and if it gets away from you your hands are welded together. (like in American Pie, only hopefully it's just your hands that are involved.)

So with all that to consider (bearing in mind that I go at everything like I'm tarring a roof,... I have have a hard time being delicate) I have found that the best way to clean up is to go to Dollarama and get one of those exfoliating gloves in the girly section for a buck (I got a blue one so it doesn't look so bad).
Those things kick ass getting any kind off crap off your hands,... fiberglass, grease, paint, stain, glue, anything stuck on your hands that needs to be scrubbed off. It works best in the shower after your pores have opened up and the stuff is softer.

Another trick is to rub your hands with vaseline first then wipe off the excess before attacking the resin. (not too much, you don't want it getting in your resin.)
Good luck getting it off your fingernails,.. it might have to grow out.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about it and when I did my repair to my GLC (20 years ago now), I mixed up a huge batch of resin and dipped an entire 2 foot by 1 foot piece of cloth right into the slop. Then I picked up the entire dripping sheet and slopped it on the car. That has a lot to do with the mess I created (the s*** was everywhere). Since then I've learned to do tiny batches (you've only got 2-10 minutes working time before it gells. More drops of hardener gells it faster. Too many drops and the resin will crack as it hardens. It's a good idea to use a measuring device for the resin so you know how many drops to use (a disposable one of course))

I'm pretty sure you can put another layer on almost as soon as it hardens (20 minutes) I've done it anyway, check the label about that.
It's a good idea to shape it right after it gells, It's still soft so you can cut it with a sharp knife. Once it's harder you shape it by sanding. It's a good idea to shape each layer before the next so things stay nice and smooth. You can add a thin layer of just resin to fill bubble holes and smooth things out.

I may not have been clear about the de-bubbling process,... you kinda stab the cloth with the bristles on the end of the brush to pop the bubbles. I cut down the bristles of a brush for this so the bristles don't bend over so easily. Using as few drops of hardener as possible helps with all this by giving you more de-bubbling time before it gells and more shaping time before it hardens. Apparently the entire 1 liter bottle will harden with only a couple of drops of hardener,... it might take a few months but it will happen. Having the finished product a little soft can be good for some flex and is better than brittle.

I just found this thread,... looks like fiberglass might kill you.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...th-Fiberglass-and-Resin&p=5093298#post5093298

Last edited:
I've been thinking about it and when I did my repair to my GLC (20 years ago now), I mixed up a huge batch of resin and dipped an entire 2 foot by 1 foot piece of cloth right into the slop. Then I picked up the entire dripping sheet and slopped it on the car. That has a lot to do with the mess I created (the s*** was everywhere). Since then I've learned to do tiny batches (you've only got 2-10 minutes working time before it gells. More drops of hardener gells it faster. Too many drops and the resin will crack as it hardens. It's a good idea to use a measuring device for the resin so you know how many drops to use (a disposable one of course))

I'm pretty sure you can put another layer on almost as soon as it hardens (20 minutes) I've done it anyway, check the label about that.
It's a good idea to shape it right after it gells, It's still soft so you can cut it with a sharp knife. Once it's harder you shape it by sanding. It's a good idea to shape each layer before the next so things stay nice and smooth. You can add a thin layer of just resin to fill bubble holes and smooth things out.

I may not have been clear about the de-bubbling process,... you kinda stab the cloth with the bristles on the end of the brush to pop the bubbles. I cut down the bristles of a brush for this so the bristles don't bend over so easily. Using as few drops of hardener as possible helps with all this by giving you more de-bubbling time before it gells and more shaping time before it hardens. Apparently the entire 1 liter bottle will harden with only a couple of drops of hardener,... it might take a few months but it will happen. Having the finished product a little soft can be good for some flex and is better than brittle.

Wow that sounds complicated lol I'm more likely to have access to a welder then a large area for messing with fiber glass as I'm mostly working in the street and friend's driveway. I just don't trust myself for making a nice identical rear quarter panel, but I'll give it a deeper thought for sure plus the kit is pretty cheap if I do my entire panel with it.

However, I want to rebuild the inside of the rear wheel well, which is completely gone now, with fiberglass. Don't know why Mazda fitted plastic inner wheel splash shield in the front, which works perfectly to protect the front fenders, but fitted metal shields in the rear wheel that rusted through ASAP! I thought of cutting a coroplast inner wheel splash shield and apply fiberglass on it. Do you think liquid resin will eat plastic?

I'm looking forward to your greasing process, what type of grease to you plan to use? I already spent days brushing my underbody with a wire brush and sanding paper, it's ready to be treated with something that will sticks for long.

Kudo's on Tamn thread, haven't got time to take a deeper look into it but the work he's done is just insane.

I'm hoping this is also helping zhy weighting the options to the rust cancer fight.

Wow that sounds complicated It's not that bad, I gave lots of detail to help as much as I can, that may have made it confusing. Just go at it like you're painting a master piece not the broad side of a barn like my first attempt lol I'm more likely to have access to a welder then a large area for messing with fiber glass You don't need a big area and outdoors is better ventilation as I'm mostly working in the street and friend's driveway that's the perfect place to do it (then the drops are stuck to his driveway). I just don't trust myself for making a nice identical rear quarter panel, but I'll give it a deeper thought for sure plus the kit is pretty cheap if I do my entire panel with it. the leftover lasts for years and comes in handy for all kinds of things once you start thinking of it.

However, I want to rebuild the inside of the rear wheel well, which is completely gone now, with fiberglass. Don't know why Mazda fitted plastic inner wheel splash shield in the front, which works perfectly to protect the front fenders, but fitted metal shields in the rear wheel that rusted through ASAP! I thought of cutting a coroplast inner wheel splash shield and apply fiberglass on it. perfect place to practice Do you think liquid resin will eat plastic? I'm pretty sure all plastics are fine.

I'm looking forward to your greasing process, what type of grease to you plan to use? I don't know yet, need to do more research, might just end up being cheap stuff on sale for $2.50- $3.00 a tube I already spent days brushing my underbody with a wire brush and sanding paper, I did that last summer, it's ready for more it's ready to be treated with something that will sticks for long. we need to figure out what the hell that might be,... not just sticky but oily too

Kudo's on Tamn thread, haven't got time to take a deeper look into it but the work he's done is just insane. I like his approach, he learns it as he does it

I'm hoping this is also helping zhy weighting the options to the rust cancer fight. I'm sure he'll find it useful, the biggest piece of advice I've got for treating rust on a visible body panel is get the entire surface right down to shiny metal. I did one door down to a shine on one car of mine, primered spot puttied and painted it (no rust converter though) I did the other door down to almost shiny but there was tiny spots of dark grey almost black left in the pitts, I thought it was good enough. That door rusted the next year but the first, completely shiny door, was good till I got rid of the car years later. They say 90% of a good paint job is what you do before you apply the paint.

Hey zhy,.. I've decided not to divert your thread anymore and start my own Rust thread once I get a new camera (cell phone actually,... mostly to run the Torque App,... pretty cool app,.. lots of blinking lights and even lots of useful engine info,... all for about $40 if you've already got an android phone).

Small rust update,... I checked my rust repairs from last year and it's holding up very well except for the spots below the rear doors underneath and above the bottom molding. It's bubbling up again where the door seal meets the door jam on the bottom, but that spot had a few little holes right through the panel and even though I wire wheeled it down to shiny metal I guess the rust worked it's way around from the backside via those little holes. So,.. if at all possible,... DON'T grind or sand right through any panel if you can avoid it. It's harder to fill then and rust has the door open from the backside right into your new repair. I would have put grease up in behind the repair but you can't get inside the rail. (I did spray the hell out of it though but I guess that wasn't good enough.)

I was actually typing when I read you wanted to start a Rust thread, I'll post this here anyway but I'm looking forward to your thread and I'll try to post pics of my work too

well i've looked further into fiberglass and don't find a lot of good how to's but I think I'll give it a go sometime this month. That's how I plan to do it:
1. Make a first fiberglass panel using the original rotten fender as a mold and shape the missing bits with chicken wire
2. Remove all the rotten metal and paint the surroundings with por15
3. Reinstall the fiberglass panel and glue it on good metal using more resin
4. Sand/Bondo/Sand/Bondo... Primer/22v mixed paint

am I missing anything?

As for the underbody, found this http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2043211&page=1 don't know how well this would do, as it seems to create a seal like asphalt undercoating. My main concern is preventing the frame rails from rotting. I'm leaning toward sanding them to shiny metal using a grinder with a big ass wire brush, paint them with por15 and not worry about undercoating.

I was actually typing when I read you wanted to start a Rust thread, I'll post this here anyway but I'm looking forward to your thread and I'll try to post pics of my work too

well i've looked further into fiberglass and don't find a lot of good how to's but I think I'll give it a go sometime this month. That's how I plan to do it:
1. Make a first fiberglass panel using the original rotten fender as a mold and shape the missing bits with chicken wire
2. Remove all the rotten metal and paint the surroundings with por15
3. Reinstall the fiberglass panel and glue it on good metal using more resin
4. Sand/Bondo/Sand/Bondo... Primer/22v mixed paint

am I missing anything?

As for the underbody, found this http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2043211&page=1 don't know how well this would do, as it seems to create a seal like asphalt undercoating. My main concern is preventing the frame rails from rotting. I'm leaning toward sanding them to shiny metal using a grinder with a big ass wire brush, paint them with por15 and not worry about undercoating.

this will only work so much, once you see rust formed on the outside its too late and the metal is already rusting from the inside that you cannot get to easily. Our cars rust but 90% of the time by the time you notice the rust on the outside its too late for that panel and the metal needs to be cut out to properly remove the rust.

and so many rust threads already exist, here is one example.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...do-rust-repair-on-body&highlight=rust+repairs

here is a proper way to tackle rust from a guy who used to deal with it everyday in a body shop

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123796408-Team-Ohio-rust-repair!-(56K-die)&highlight=
here is his personal P5 that he also rust proofed.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...JosueP5-s-03-Protege5-Build-Thread&highlight=

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back