WRX 440cc injectors

YP5 Toronto

Contributor
Started a seperate thread to post the progress of this project.

Finally..they are in. So far they look like a good match. The Fuel Rail connection is identical and the wire harness connection is the same. The WRX injectors are about 2.5mm taller...nothing that some spacers wont fix.

My only concern at this point is that the "spray" end has a 1mm smaller diameter than the Mazda ones. I will need to see how they sit in the intake manifold...maybe I will need some spacers.

The spray pattern will also be different...as the WRX has 12 "holes" versus the mazda's 4. The 12 "holes" are noticably smaller than the mazda injectors.

The Stock Mazda Injectors are measuring about 15.6 ohms resistance. The WRX are measuring about 13.2 ohms. They are both High impedance [12 - 16 ohms] ....which isn't a concern since most aftermarket ECUs can adjust for low or high.

I am not yet ready to throw them in....but I will try to mount them on my "old engine" for fitment....I will probably do this on the weekend.

I got them for next to nothing from a friend that just upgraded his Turbo and went with STI injectors.

And for the new people to this thread....YOU WILL NEED SOMETHING OTHER THAN YOUR STOCK ECU TO CONTROL larger injectors.

oh...and special "Thank you" to Turboge on his input on this particular injector project....

I will be eventually utilizing the 440cc map from Haltch as a base for tuning...

Here are some pics:
WRX_2.jpg

WRX_3.jpg

WRX_4.jpg

WRX_1.jpg

so will the stock o-ring from the injector fit on there snug or not? Will it just fall off? I think as long as the injectors are bolted down with the correct spacers tightly, there shouldnt be any forseeable problem if the spray end is a tad looser than stock. I will also have this set up in a few days so we will see what happens.

Also, which map will you be running? Is your compression still 9.1:1 or is it now 8.5:1?

-B

The stock o-ring will not fit...it is to big by about 1mm.

It is VITAL that the nozel be positioned correct and that it is STABLE and centered. I went to Homedepot and bought a whole bunch of pieces to see what I can come up with. I may have to get something machined/CNC for them to sit right.

Also...even if the "o-ring" (i don't think that is the term...but you get the idea) did fit...it positions the nozel 3-5mm deeper into the chamber. I am trying to duplicate the starting position of the nozzle to that of the stock one.

YP5 Toronto said:
The stock o-ring will not fit...it is to big by about 1mm.

It is VITAL that the nozel be positioned correct and that it is STABLE and centered. I went to Homedepot and bought a whole bunch of pieces to see what I can come up with. I may have to get something machined/CNC for them to sit right.

Also...even if the "o-ring" (i don't think that is the term...but you get the idea) did fit...it positions the nozel 3-5mm deeper into the chamber. I am trying to duplicate the starting position of the nozzle to that of the stock one.

keep me posted with what you do because i will be doing this most likely next week when i install everything at once.

-B

That would be nice if the WRX injectors work for you guys. I know the community has a ton of them laying around collecting dust.

p.s. You can also modify them to become 820cc injectors at 43psi if you ever need to go that big.:)

Ok..so again..I havent had a lot of time to play with them...but this is what I have gotten so far.

First thing to note on the above pics, is that the wrx inj. nozzle is about 1mm in diameter smaller...

Stock Injector and Manifold "ring"
inj1.jpg

ring mounted. Take note how the spray nozzle is resessed further back into the overall injector.
inj2.jpg

Ring removed and mounted on the WRX injector. Hard to tell but it is loose and will not let the injector sit properly/securely in the manifold.
inj3.jpg

So....as a brainstorming idea...I took some yellow electrical tape and evenly built up the outer diameter of the wrx injector. This actually may be the end solution...we shall see.
inj4.jpg

Ring mounted on. It is very secure and centered. Please note that the nozzle sits further "out" past the ring. This means that it will be position further INTO the manifold/air stream.....good or bad...I am still thinking that through.
inj5.jpg

I want to try and position the nozzle in the manifold as closely to where the stock nozzle is positioned. One option I quickly brainstormed was grabbing a set of metal spacers (not washers as washers will have varying thickness). Here I used two (2) to replicate what I believe is the same nozzle position as stock.
inj6.jpg

Second option was using rubber spacers...they actually worked out well and I obviously will trim them but you get the idea.
inj7.jpg

I only had a few minutes to test these two "spacer" combinations on the spare manifold I have. The metal spacers "get in the way" as the outer diameter is too large. I trimmed the rubber one and it worked very well.

Thats all for now.....hope I am not boring you.

Last edited:
Looking good so far, I wouldn't worry too much about the distance inside the head as the spray pattern is different. Just as long as it's sealed and not squirting fuel back out of the head you should be fine. Get those things runnin!

just got my wrx injectors today too. I will post progress once my manifold and o2 housing finally come in. I have been waiting for ever!

-B

Progress....

So...I managed to build up the nozzle diameter to perfectly and securely use the stock "manifold ring". For those that will try this, you will understand the reason for different width "tape"...I can not illustrate this with my crappy camera. I used some electrical tape and made sure that the surface being covered was CLEAN (I used some non-chlorinate brake cleaner, alcohol would also do well).

I did some test fitting and found that the mazda o-ring (in orange) fit better within the rail. So you will need to take this off (carefully) and put it onto the WRX injector.

inj8.JPG

Finished product with both "rings" secure.
inj9.JPG

ing11.JPG

Everything is seems to be in place. My only concern still remains...that the WRX nozzle will be positioned FURTHER into the intake manifold. Only by a few millimeters. We shall see.

The car is going in a couple of weeks for a FULL exhaust system. Once that is done, I will update the Haltech software with Hiboost's 440cc F10 Map. Then I fine tune away with my EGT and Wideband. I may visit a very reputable professional tuner in my area to squeze the most power and effecicency out of my setup.

Anyone have any ideas? or comments on what effect the nozzle position may or may not have on the Air and Fuel Mixture?

Just put them IN, forget about ideas, probably nobody here knows and you are just one step behind to really know about it.
Most people here say what the think about some stuff. Experience will tell everything.
For example:
Our piston/con rod assembly are very strong! Very good for 15-16psi of boost welll tuned. That amount of boost is not a joke on our cars. But its the limit of reliability on them due to defective errors or any human error.
Injectors?, good enough for 11-12psi of boost using FMU.
Axles are just damn great, but If you need more, get the 94' 626 axles if I remember correctly.
We can use a distributor also with our engines, we just need an exhaust cam from the 626 and the ignition system.
Our blocks along with the crankshaft are forged, this means, they are boost friendly.

Bla bla bla

In other words...

GO ON! And let us know.

igdrasil said:
Just put them IN, forget about ideas, probably nobody here knows and you are just one step behind to really know about it.
Most people here say what the think about some stuff. Experience will tell everything.
For example:
Our piston/con rod assembly are very strong! Very good for 15-16psi of boost welll tuned. That amount of boost is not a joke on our cars. But its the limit of reliability on them due to defective errors or any human error.
Injectors?, good enough for 11-12psi of boost using FMU.
Axles are just damn great, but If you need more, get the 94' 626 axles if I remember correctly.
We can use a distributor also with our engines, we just need an exhaust cam from the 626 and the ignition system.
Our blocks along with the crankshaft are forged, this means, they are boost friendly.

Bla bla bla

In other words...

GO ON! And let us know.

agreed. i threw in dsm injectors that were way too short and didnt fit right into my new fully built motor and it was fine, the car ran, but bad. The injectors will still spit fuel so honestly dont worry. It will be completely fine. Just try it out.

-B

azian6er said:
agreed. i threw in dsm injectors that were way too short and didnt fit right into my new fully built motor and it was fine, the car ran, but bad.
-B
Good thing these WRX injectors or longer rather than shorter! (canada) (usa)

azian6er said:
just got my wrx injectors today too. I will post progress once my manifold and o2 housing finally come in. I have been waiting for ever!

-B
You should have told me you wanted WRX injectors. I have a set laying around doing nothing but collecting dust.

Good luck with the project guys. Fuel systems are one of those you have to try it first to see if it will correctly things.

Last edited:
Back