Will adding 91 octane gas improve horse power?

hek8560

:
Mazda,CX-5,2015,TOURING
I usually put 87 octane gas in my car but since the gas is very cheap now, what if I add 91 octane gas, will engine run better?

I got so tired of seeing this question appear and reappear here that last week I ran the tank down to fumes and filled it with premium. Ran it for a week and noticed absolutely no difference under any driving conditions. Back to regular!

I got so tired of seeing this question appear and reappear here that last week I ran the tank down to fumes and filled it with premium. Ran it for a week and noticed absolutely no difference under any driving conditions. Back to regular!

Thanks for the reply, I just read a article about new cx7, it says if you use 91 octane gas it will have ten more horse power then 87. I am just not sure will cx-5 do the something.

Even if you got a couple extra HP with premium it isn't worth the cost IMO..

Can you even feel 2-5HP? ....assuming that even happens with premium. Maybe someone will throw one on a dyno someday to find out.

The new CX9 has different HP ratings depending upon octane. There is no reason to waste your money on premium for the CX5. (Unless you've got an aftermarket performance ECU tune).

Last edited:
I did the same thing - no difference. But, when I did it with my friend's exact same (but 2014) CX5 he said he felt a difference. He said, when he bought it or sometime in some service, etc. he was told being PZEV (window sticker does say PZEV) there's a difference when using high octane. I don't know the dynamics here, except 2 things: 1. If CX5 is PZEV it looses 1 HP 2. In NJ, CA and few other states - the emission warranty is 15 years instead of 7 if PZEV.

The CX-9 motor will be turbocharged. Turbocharged engines are more picky with their fuel. For us naturally aspirated SkyActiv folks, I don't think it will make a difference. I experimented with different octanes for about a month. Same gas mileage and engine performance. Not worth it.

The new CX9 has different HP ratings depending upon octane. There is no reason to waste your money on premium for the CX5. (Unless you've got an aftermarket performance ECU tune).

The new CX-9 has a turbo, so you would want to use 91 octane at all times.

The only way you would benefit from 91 octane is if you got your car retuned for 91 octane.

The only surefire way to get an increase in max tq/hp output is a tune. Higher octane allows more timing advance (talking about our motor and its capabilities) which affects hp/tq throughout the rpm range. Look up what advance timing does for an engine to get an idea of what higher octane can do (you will find a mix or highly technical, and plain language articles). In the end it's limited by the stock ecu mapping, but that's one big thing the engine does that affects engine performance.

I usually put 87 octane gas in my car but since the gas is very cheap now, what if I add 91 octane gas, will engine run better?

No. Not even a little bit. You might even lose about 1 HP although you probably wouldn't be able to notice it.

Mazda's new 2.5L SkyActiv-G Turbo used in upcoming 2016 CX-9 has the following specs according to Motor Trend:

Max. Horsepower: 227 hp (on 87 octane) / 250 hp (on 93 octane)
Max. Torque: 310 lb-ft @ 2,000 rpm
Compression Ratio: 10.5:1

Apparently SA-G 2.5L Turbo does tuned for better performance with higher octane gas. Kudos to Mazda who is announcing two different power ratings according to the gasoline used. This is the first time I've seen a car manufacture who is so honest not playing the number game. Others will say 250 hp as the maximum horsepower with premium gas is recommended in the fine print which is purely for marketing purpose. Mazda is not trying to jack up power number with a turbo but emphasizing the low-end torque as most large CUV drivers rarely exceed 3,000 rpm.

Mazda is not trying to jack up power number with a turbo but emphasizing the low-end torque as most large CUV drivers rarely exceed 3,000 rpm.

Yes, it'll make more torque with premium too. But Mazda has admitted most drivers will normally run 87 octane because it's cheaper and more power isn't actually needed or noticed in regular, everyday driving.

According to Mazda the torque is unchanged with the octane rating.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WrY4g9EAveg

Dave Colman did claim the peak torque doesn't vary with octane. However:

1) He said at rpm's above 4500 higher octane=more power which translates to more torque at all rpm's from 4500 (but not more peak torque).
2) In terms of MPG, he distinguished between window sticker MPG and real world MPG. I would offer that the same holds true with peak torque. Under test conditions the engine might not get hot enough for the engine management to dial things back or inject extra fuel to manage detonation with 87 octane. But in the real world this is likely not the case, particularly if towing a trailer or traveling off the beaten path at slow speeds where engine temperatures can climb.

A couple of people proposed that CX-5 HP/torque figures might be higher under warm conditions with premium fuel but that is not the case because the engine management system knows it's warm but assumes the fuel has 87 octane. However, the new 2.5L Skyactiv turbo takes fuel octane into account. The fact that peak torque ratings are the same for 87 octane as they are for 93 octane implicitly implies that Mazda limited peak torque figures when running 93 octane fuel in order to limit internal engine stresses (ie. to avoid overloading wrist pins, bottom end bearings, etc.). Mazda could have beefed up these bearings (more surface area) to deal with higher loads at low rpm but this would have increased friction losses and reduced everyday MPG. In other words, the only reason the peak torque rating is the same for 87-93 octane is because it's capped, not because of detonation under test conditions, but to limit internal engine stresses. Under real world conditions (mentioned above), peak torque on 87 octane is likely to be limited by detonation considerations that are not a problem for 93 octane.

As usual, things are a bit more complex than they might appear.

Back