Clear Gas! Worth the $$$ or not?

GTXT23

LightFoot
Does anyone have an opinion on using Ethanol-Free "Clear Gas" (only available in 87 octane ) vs Regular 87 octane
as the cost is nearly identical to using super 91 octane ?
I normally opt for the higher octane- at the same price -
This question may disqualify most turbo CX-5 drivers since the hp increase from regular fuel (87) to super(91+) is significant.
There are likely many states that don't sell " Clear Fuel "-as well.
I suppose if you have a turbo you could use the Clear Fuel and add an octane booster- but that's quite a headache and costly.
Anyone with experience using it or scientific data would be appreciated - Thanx

Does anyone have an opinion on using Ethanol-Free "Clear Gas" (only available in 87 octane ) vs Regular 87 octane
as the cost is nearly identical to using super 91 octane ?
I normally opt for the higher octane- at the same price -
This question may disqualify most turbo CX-5 drivers since the hp increase from regular fuel (87) to super(91+) is significant.
There are likely many states that don't sell " Clear Fuel "-as well.
I suppose if you have a turbo you could use the Clear Fuel and add an octane booster- but that's quite a headache and costly.
Anyone with experience using it or scientific data would be appreciated - Thanx
I'm not a fuel expert, but it's probably not a great idea to use ethanol-free gasoline in a modern direct-injected vehicle. These cars are designed and built to run with gasoline containing (some) ethanol. Classic cars or small carbureted engines, like a weed-whacker, would benefit, especially if they wouldn't be running often.

The ethanol will help keep your engine clean, but at the expense of a few MPG, since ethanol is not as energy-dense as pure gasoline. The added MPG of the ethanol-free, if there is any, will be outweighed by the added cost.

Also, I know some people that will fill up with 91 or 93 octane to "clean the engine up" or something, when their engines would not benefit from the higher octane fuel at all, neither MPG nor performance. Literally burning money.

I'd be interested to hear other's thoughts on this.

I'm not a fuel expert, but it's probably not a great idea to use ethanol-free gasoline in a modern direct-injected vehicle. These cars are designed and built to run with gasoline containing (some) ethanol. Classic cars or small carbureted engines, like a weed-whacker, would benefit, especially if they wouldn't be running often.

The ethanol will help keep your engine clean, but at the expense of a few MPG, since ethanol is not as energy-dense as pure gasoline. The added MPG of the ethanol-free, if there is any, will be outweighed by the added cost.

Also, I know some people that will fill up with 91 or 93 octane to "clean the engine up" or something, when their engines would not benefit from the higher octane fuel at all, neither MPG nor performance. Literally burning money.

Sorry, but this is false information.
Ethanol free gas will not harm your engine. The opposite is true though. Too much ethanol can hurt performance and your engine. For example E85 gas used in a vehicle not designed for it will be problematic.
Here is a good article on the subject:

of course its false.
Direction injection exists prior to ethanol gas becoming widely available and mandated by all states.
gas with ethanol was made to increase profits for various indistries and thats pretty much it.

Sorry, but this is false information.
Ethanol free gas will not harm your engine. The opposite is true though. Too much ethanol can hurt performance and your engine. For example E85 gas used in a vehicle not designed for it will be problematic.
Here is a good article on the subject:
I stand corrected. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that ethanol is good for most engines. I appreciate your response and the link provided.
of course its false.
Direction injection exists prior to ethanol gas becoming widely available and mandated by all states.
gas with ethanol was made to increase profits for various indistries and thats pretty much it.
I don't doubt that there was some political motivation, as is the case with many things. After doing some basic research, I did find a ton of mixed information. If I had to come to some conclusion of my own, it would seem to me that ethanol-gasoline stepped in as an octane booster to replace leaded gasoline after it was banned when we discovered how detrimental it is to our health. Does that sound reasonable?

I have access to the Clear Gas , so Im waiting for the tank to go to reserve , then filler up - I will follow up with the results --signed / The Guinea Pig /---btw , If my vehicle was old , I would NOT run it to reserve as debris in the bottom of the tank can be injurious to the fuel delivery system - My CX-5 is 2 months old

Phase separation, destroying plastics I could go on and on. Ethanol is bad. What is bulls*** is we don't have an equal priced choice. You can find clear on pure-gas.org but it's always a $1 more due to the tax incentives to force this s*** in our tanks. During the Obama administration there was a study done that shows that the amount of cost and energy that it takes to harvest the corn bring it to the distilleries build the distilleries and then distribute it there's no way we're ahead. It's just another problem created when there wasn't a problem to fix

Wow, so much misinformation here! Unless you know what you're talking about, you shouldn't.

Modern engines are designed to run with ethanol, not because it's preferred (it isn't), it's because there's no other choice. The addition of ethanol has been mandated so we're forced to use it. Ethanol robs power.

Classic cars or small carbureted engines, like a weed-whacker, would benefit, especially if they wouldn't be running often.

Just the opposite is true. Ethanol is one of the worst things that you can put in the tank of a classic car. These vehicles were never designed to have ethanol in their tanks and the results are very bad. The ethanal eats up the rubber and plastic in the fuel path, not good. Same goes for small engines.

Last edited:
We have a lot of ethanol free gas available around us because boating and fishing is a very big tourist industry. Marine engines were some of the last to use materials that can tolerate ethanol. Never heard it called "clear gas".

Ethanol absorbs water which is bad for fuel systems. It can also attack some gasket materials which is why mixing E85 in a vehicle not designed for it can be costly.

I fill the lawn mowers and motorcycle with ethanol free gas before winter. I also add a little stabilizer as insurance.

Just the opposite is true. Ethanol is one of the worst things that you can put in the tank of a classic car. These vehicles were never designed to have ethanol in their tanks and the results are very bad. The ethanal eats up the rubber and plastic in the fuel path, not good. Same goes for small engines.
I think you misread what RyanMP1011 said about classic cars and small engines, I read that as referring to non-ethenol gas. Here's what he said:

I use non-ethenol gas in my chainsaw, string trimmer, outboard motor, and motorcycles. I have no reason to use it in my non-turbo CX5.

If your vehicle requires premium fuel there are some states (Montana for example) where the only premium fuel available is ethenol free fuel.

I think you misread what RyanMP1011 said about classic cars and small engines, I read that as referring to non-ethenol gas. Here's what he said:

I use non-ethenol gas in my chainsaw, string trimmer, outboard motor, and motorcycles. I have no reason to use it in my non-turbo CX5.

If your vehicle requires premium fuel there are some states (Montana for example) where the only premium fuel available is ethenol free fuel.

After rereading the post in question, I stand corrected.

I misread what was said, my apologies to Ryan.

Funny you mention that, but it's absolutely true.
I bought a snowblower about 8 years ago, and ran it with regular gas the first winter. Oops.
The next fall when I brought it out again, It was a no go. Even though I drained the fuel, I had to disassemble the carb and clean out all the crap that was left behind.
Started using high test ethanol free gas after that, and zero issues since then.

I never heard it called "clear gas" before. Yeah, it's pure crap. Let's use the food supply as a useless subsidized fuel additive. Around here it costs almost as much as premium. Only in government...

To get back on track for OP, you’ll have to do a cost benefit analysis. See what your average MPG is for normal e10 87. Then run a few tanks of ethanol free 87. See if you get higher MPG over a few tanks, and calculate if the higher cost per gallon was made up for in higher fuel efficiency.

There are no gas stations near me that sell ethanol free for a cost effective price for vehicle use. It’s usually $1 or more per gallon for ethanol free vs standard e10. 30% greater cost won’t yield a 30% increase in mileage so it’s a no go for me. Only worth it for small engines as others have suggested.

Points to consider:
- does the ethanol free gas have an appropriate amount of detergent? I’d prefer top tier e10 vs ethanol free with an unknown level of detergents.
- are you ever driving at over 4k rpm? That’s the only time where higher octane is going to yield higher horsepower.

If I had the turbo I would probably use 87. The way I drive I think it would be difficult to tell the difference.

Here, ethanol free is only available as high octane premium and is expensive. I buy it for my small engines, add stabilizer, and don't sweat too much about overwintering.

I don't doubt that there was some political motivation, as is the case with many things. After doing some basic research, I did find a ton of mixed information. If I had to come to some conclusion of my own, it would seem to me that ethanol-gasoline stepped in as an octane booster to replace leaded gasoline after it was banned when we discovered how detrimental it is to our health. Does that sound reasonable?
Nope. Ethanol started being used to allow corn farmers to get in on the gas bonanza. Pure fuel is better and cleaner as it is more energy dense, but now we are entrenched in the E10 fuel and it won't be changing back.

Back