Clear Gas! Worth the $$$ or not?

Does anyone have an opinion on using Ethanol-Free "Clear Gas" (only available in 87 octane ) vs Regular 87 octane
as the cost is nearly identical to using super 91 octane ?
I normally opt for the higher octane- at the same price -
This question may disqualify most turbo CX-5 drivers since the hp increase from regular fuel (87) to super(91+) is significant.
There are likely many states that don't sell " Clear Fuel "-as well.
I suppose if you have a turbo you could use the Clear Fuel and add an octane booster- but that's quite a headache and costly.
Anyone with experience using it or scientific data would be appreciated - Thanx

Yours must be different from ours in GA. Ethanol free (or REC fuel as they call it here) gas in GA is 90 octane - not 87. It is quite a bit more expensive than 93 premium here. We use it in our boat as that is what the marinas use. I also get it at the local gas station for my gas powered yard tools. Big advantage is if the motor is going to sit, you don't have to worry about it gumming up in the lines like E10 does.

I haven't found that ethanol has done me any harm. In fact, I'm quite partial to it.

😈
Modern cars are resistant to ethanol's evil doings. But if your going to park something for 4 months or more you better put non-ethanol in there. I can tell you from firsthand knowledge the Carnage that I've witnessed on fuel systems that ethanol has destroyed. It's unbelievable. For what? Ethanol is a big myth and a lie. Just like 0w-20 oil, 7500 oil change intervals and lifetime transmission fluid.

Modern cars are resistant to ethanol's evil doings. But if your going to park something for 4 months or more you better put non-ethanol in there. I can tell you from firsthand knowledge the Carnage that I've witnessed on fuel systems that ethanol has destroyed. It's unbelievable. For what? Ethanol is a big myth and a lie. Just like 0w-20 oil, 7500 oil change intervals and lifetime transmission fluid.

LOL, Toyota has 10,000 mile oil change intervals so they only have to pay for two oil changes with their "Toyotacare"!

LOL, Toyota has 10,000 mile oil change intervals so they only have to pay for two oil changes with their "Toyotacare"!
Even with 10,000-mile OCI and super-thin 0W-16 oil, Toyota engines are still considered as the most reliable engines in the world ⋯ :rolleyes:

I was at the dealer today and they said Toyota has a new 0-W17 or W19 oil - tap water- Toyota makes reliable cars - no doubt - The driving experience is a bit tamped down ....for mainstream consumption - the Rav4 vs CX-5 no contest -CX-5 all day

Last edited:
In some areas. Many states have banned the use of it.
Yeah Methyl Tert-Butyl Ether (MTBE) has been used as an additive for unleaded gasoline since 1980s. MTBE is supposed to increases octane and oxygen levels in gasoline and reduces pollution emissions. It became a mandate by EPA to be added in gasoline in 1990’s. Unfortunately after many years of usage researchers have found it causes groundwater contamination and had found detectable levels of MTBE in human body. Another example that the government mandated something which is supposed to be good for the environment but found later it actually could affect human’s health.

Yeah Methyl Tert-Butyl Ether (MTBE) has been used as an additive for unleaded gasoline since 1980s. MTBE is supposed to increases octane and oxygen levels in gasoline and reduces pollution emissions. It became a mandate by EPA to be added in gasoline in 1990’s. Unfortunately after many years of usage researchers have found it causes groundwater contamination and had found detectable levels of MTBE in human body. Another example that the government mandated something which is supposed to be good for the environment but found later it actually could affect human’s health.
The use of ethanol in place of MTBE was sold based on the groundwater contamination issues. Funny how it was at the same time many farmers were struggling.

Back