Who ACTUALLY has Thunder manfiold?

zizaspeed

:
2004 RX8
Looking for some input here from people who are using the Thunder manifold, specifically V2 as just a stock replacement? Running stock boost. I understand they crack because of thin tubing but I'm wondering if that's because of increased boost or not having aftermarket motor mounts? Just want some input from people who are using them. I found one from a guy who has already had it re-welded and bead blasted and am considering buying it, but not sure if I want to if it is just going to crack again.

Is it possible to somehow weld the factory cast iron manifold as an alternative ?

I have inserts on the front and rear mounts, and side mount inserts (which should be more than enough) and ive had v1 and v2 crack on me. Personally i beleive alot of manifolds crack because of the oem bracing thats removed with aftermarket parts (there was one on the j pipe, and stock S pipe). And the thunder just isnt strong enough to free support that kind of weight.

Okay okay, so just the added stress is too much for it. I believe I have stock S pipe and J pipe, I have never really looked. I have a vibrant turbo back exhaust, not sure if that replaced J pipe. Either way, it doesn't sound like you would recommend buying one, especially one that has been rewelded?

A TBE (turbo back exhaust) would be the entire exhaust so you wouldn't have the stock downpipe, if you have the Callaway DP then you don't have a TBE. I would find a clean stock mani, weld your current one or buy a Steedspeed stock replacement.

The welds become the stronger part of the Mani if done properly which will make the Mani just crack in a different position. I'm with hornsfan, just get the stock log one and make sure u have the bracket thats holding the s-pipe/j-pipe to the block and ull be set for life. Otherwise why is ur s*** vibrating/flexing so much as to break manifolds?

Yeah I'll have to get under my car and take a look at whether or not I still have stock s and j pipe. I'm pretty sure my vibrant is a TBE.

If your mani cracks again you can cut relief cuts between the runners and go with solid motor mounts or inserts, that should do it.

You can see the DP from under the hood, no need to crawl under the car.

Okay good to know, i'll take a look today. The stock calaway one is cast iron right, so it should be pretty obvious whether or not I have it

Okay good to know, i'll take a look today. The stock calaway one is cast iron right, so it should be pretty obvious whether or not I have it

Yup it has callaway letters cast on it. Do u still have the Mani shield over it?

Yeah I was referring to DP but yes I do have stock heat shield. I've kept it on cause I feel it looks better than the rust cast iron look lol

I have the Thunder V2 on my MSP and have had it on there for oh... around 3 years I think? No cracks in it yet and it works quite nicely.

man this thread has me all worried now. im having a steedspeed manifold installed in a couple weeks on my otherwise bone stock msp (my oem manifold cracked) and im all worried now about ruining that one too. im planning on changing the front motor mount to either street unit or AWR, the rear mount is worn pretty bad too, but the shop told me it would be a huge pita to replace that one. i was looking at those inserts from corksport, but i just dont know if it would be worth it if i cant even get to the rear motor mount without removing a bunch of s***.

Dont "Think" about motor mounts.... "Do Motor Mounts".

Plus there are tons of alternatives to AWR...

man this thread has me all worried now. im having a steedspeed manifold installed in a couple weeks on my otherwise bone stock msp (my oem manifold cracked) and im all worried now about ruining that one too. im planning on changing the front motor mount to either street unit or AWR, the rear mount is worn pretty bad too, but the shop told me it would be a huge pita to replace that one. i was looking at those inserts from corksport, but i just dont know if it would be worth it if i cant even get to the rear motor mount without removing a bunch of s***.

Chuck Norris couldn't destroy a steedspeed. What chance does your car have?

I do 40k miles more than stock boost levels. Corksport s-pipe and full awr mounts no problems.(knocking on wood)

Back