What have you done to your MSP today?

got my turbo out and investigating the new seals and lines ill need to buy. didnt have any issues at all mating the turbo to the pope downpipe though? not sure what the problem you were having was horns. maybe just the wrong gasket?

havent decided if i want to fish out the oil cooler yet. is it something a turbo car desperately needs? "noob question but im asking it" im gonna reuse the stock oil drain and the metal parts for the coolant supply/return. gonna tap into the cooling system at the appropriate points but i want to use a new oil supply line. how long of a line should i plan to buy? 4 ft seems excessive, but 2ft prob not enough.

i guess the bigger questions are directed at alamo1; an-3 or-4. i seem to remember not needing a restrictor for ballbearing turbo? atp turbo has a mazda protege sub section but they dont list a block tap fitting. so is there a specific bspt fitting i should be looking for. maybe im better to have someone who knows what is needed to ship it all to me heh.

Last edited:
Haven't touched the MSP since parking it. Other than starting it and idling it for a little while. Haven't touched the 8 either. Or the Accord. Or anything else that I need to get done that I've managed to put off. I have the 8's transmission sitting at the shop. Just need to pick and time to throw it in. I couldn't get it into third gear the other day. That was fun. First, fifth, sixth and reverse. Does anyone else own a rotary-powered vehicle? If so, you can understand how incredibly frustrating it would be and difficult to drive without second, third or fourth. I had to wind first out to 10k, then go to fifth and lug it. Later that night, on my way home from work, I was pissed off and JAMMED it into third gear. It went into gear. Great! Then, as I was approaching a red light, I shifted into neutral. Attempted to, I should say. It was stuck in third. Frantically, I began to yank on the shifter in an attempt to free it before the light changed to green and it finally came out of gear, but had limited movement. I just worked it in every direction, it freed up and I was able to go into gear again and third is back. If I hadn't been able to get third gear back, I'd have already replaced the transmission. I had all weekend to do it, but after working two 65-hour work weeks back to back, I couldn't force myself to work on the car this weekend. Maybe this Saturday...

MSP- Replace the transmission and turbo.

Rx8- Replace the transmission, front pads/rotors, plugs/coils/wires, oil service.

Accord- Disassemble, clean and lubricate the front caliper guides and an oil service.

And I've got four people wanting me to look at their cars.. I don't have time for my own stuff, let alone theirs.

Need to find time today to install the FTC but I really need to get a wideband before I start throwing tunes on it blindly. Especially since it is boosting so much, it hit 13-14lbs on just wastegate pressure. I found my old Forge WGA so I am considering throwing that in there with an MBC to bump the boost up but I hated the forge when I had it, it would never hold consistent boost. The car feels powerful until it hits fuel cut.

got my turbo out and investigating the new seals and lines ill need to buy. didnt have any issues at all mating the turbo to the pope downpipe though? not sure what the problem you were having was horns. maybe just the wrong gasket?

You will see once you install it. It fits with the stock studs but when you try to use the included hardware you are 'supposed' to use it doesn't fit. That was the original gasket from that car.

Last edited:
Driving my fathers miata since the mazda 3's stickers have expired on my birthday which was yesterday, and it's a holiday weekend here in Canada so won't be able to renew my plates until tmr. It's interesting, it's not the best for space I'm a tall guy so I need atleast a steering wheel that can move, which this car doesn't have. Also my right leg is leaning agInst the trans tunnel so my right leg gets got as s***. Other than that it's a fun little car it's an 03 so it's got a 6 speed which I've never encountered before. I'm still not used to it being there so I'm cruising in 5th most of the time. I think I might get one.

Well since the msp is too far gone my options are get a clean shell msp and transfer all my parts onto it. Get a miata. Get an rx7. Or get an mr2. Those are really the only cars I like. The car would be a summer car so whichever I choose would most likely get modified during the winter months. Personally I'm leaning to an older car such as the rx7 or the mr2 cuz motor swaps can be done easy since I wouldn't have to worry about ob2 testing. Decisions decisions

i get what your saying horns, but i have the turbo and downpipe with me in my offce and the pipe just slides right over the stock studs. is my turbo perhaps different?
finished removing the oil and cooling lines and got a better idea how it will all go together. i suppose the msp setup really is the simplest, most bolt on solution. just have to find some m20 nuts to fish out the ling oil pipe, get some new gaskets and hardware and i should be able to get this b**** installed one weekend with a friends help. the debate however is without having a aftermarket exhaust, maybe i should just isntall it with the stock downpipe and run the stock msp exhaust until such time i feel like making/buying a 3" exhaust.
been around the fence many times making a 3"-2/25" midpipe to adapt it, but the stock exhaust on the msp on the resonated section is IDENTICAL to the p5 measured at all the same points. basically just he axleback has the bigger pipe. so when i had the cats deleted, i went from whatever the stock midpipe is to 2.25" where the cats where back to whatever.. its a s*** show.

so maybe ill just leave the pope downpipe out, save my money and wait til i give him the $1000 for a custom exhaust. problem is, i want an exhaust i can take with me to the msp after im done with the p5.. so the axleback portion with prob have a couple of joints in it to make it longer/shorter ect ect.

ps.. i always read that our stock turbo had a .48 ar? markings on my turbo are m24 ar 80 on the comp, ar 64 on the exhaust. im sure its stock, just trying to learn about stuff is all.

Last edited:
Yes it fits over the stock studs, but when you remove the studs and use the included bolts and spacers as is obviously intended to be used, they do not fit. You will see when you install it, unless this one flange is different than every other one made. Your turbo is stock, it's .80ar compressor and .64ar turbine

Driving my fathers miata since the mazda 3's stickers have expired on my birthday which was yesterday, and it's a holiday weekend here in Canada so won't be able to renew my plates until tmr. It's interesting, it's not the best for space I'm a tall guy so I need atleast a steering wheel that can move, which this car doesn't have. Also my right leg is leaning agInst the trans tunnel so my right leg gets got as s***. Other than that it's a fun little car it's an 03 so it's got a 6 speed which I've never encountered before. I'm still not used to it being there so I'm cruising in 5th most of the time. I think I might get one.

Well since the msp is too far gone my options are get a clean shell msp and transfer all my parts onto it. Get a miata. Get an rx7. Or get an mr2. Those are really the only cars I like. The car would be a summer car so whichever I choose would most likely get modified during the winter months. Personally I'm leaning to an older car such as the rx7 or the mr2 cuz motor swaps can be done easy since I wouldn't have to worry about ob2 testing. Decisions decisions

FD RX7 would be the best looking and hold its value better, but also the most difficult to find.

Last edited:

come to maryland and buy my lx. clean white paint job. roof needs work. hood and trunk need paint as they were replaced when i sold carbon fiber parts. haha. anyways. i'm putting it back together now. has a motor/trans/head gasket done/head refreshed etc.

Got the FTC in yesterday but having trouble connecting my laptop to it. Couldn't connect to my AFC in my other car either so maybe it's a computer problem. Its running windows 8 and I have R4 in compatibility mode and running it as administrator. Drivers for the serial adapter cable are installed and it won't connect on any of the 8 comports. Car stumbles hitting boost so I know I need to change the tune on it, I have no idea what is on it now but I was told it was purchased from someone with a heavily modified protege so I have got to get the tune changed on it.

Finally getting to tear apart some more of MSP #1. Almost down to a complete bare shell :(

havent decided if i want to fish out the oil cooler yet. is it something a turbo car desperately needs? "noob question but im asking it" im gonna reuse the stock oil drain and the metal parts for the coolant supply/return. gonna tap into the cooling system at the appropriate points but i want to use a new oil supply line. how long of a line should i plan to buy? 4 ft seems excessive, but 2ft prob not enough.

i guess the bigger questions are directed at alamo1; an-3 or-4. i seem to remember not needing a restrictor for ballbearing turbo? atp turbo has a mazda protege sub section but they dont list a block tap fitting. so is there a specific bspt fitting i should be looking for. maybe im better to have someone who knows what is needed to ship it all to me heh.

Not sure what the stock oil feed fittings are. You'll have to measure them. Just look up BSPT adapters. You need to buy whatever is going to work with your setup.

thanks for the reply. I ended up pulling all the stock stuff and ill just be swapping it over. just waiting to find out of it i can get gaskets ect local. otherwise making an order ect.. everything moves slow in canada..

Got my laptop connected to the FTC and it wasn't reading vacuum. Pulled the vac hose out of the grommet it was running through and re-ran it and now it reads vac but responds slowly. May just be the delay from the vac line and the fact that these things have 15-20 year old technology. Loaded the fmic map and set it to vacuum/pressure like an AFC. The car stutters when it hits full boost and still isn't running like it should. Got some new NGK ZFR6F plugs I am installing today and may swap the coils. Tired of this thing not running right, can't wait to be able to make a clean pull on 10lbs.

BTW, a part-out may be very soon.

Currently have my SteedSpeed on the FB pages listed if anyone is interested.

Latest posts

Back