What have you done to your MSP today?

cleaned up my engine bay and put on the heat shield (black MSP for sale)

ad5ec87aa2df11e1be6a12313820455d_7.jpg

nice and Clean!!!... anyone know what the general sizes are for vacuum lines in the msp? im wanting to redo em all... mostly and get a vacuum block

Dropped off the diff bearings at the trans shop. Just a few more days till she's back on the road, and better than ever. Hoping to be driving it this weekend. We'll see, you know how these things go.

got an ebay special oil cap. color is pretty close to the titanium color

^^^NICE MAN! I like your set up! Howd you paint the Mazda so cleanly?! Aaaaand goes right in line with my post too hahahah Yesterday I picked up a 2001 Protege valve cover to paint, since mine is leaking and Im missing the "cover". 2 birds 1 stone. The thing is in ROUGH shape though! Even after 2 bottles of brake cleaner and a lot of scrubbing its not ready for paint. I hit up a buddy who's going to sandblast it. A fresh coat of gold/bronze high temp, and much better!
S6CxR.jpg

I also have a similar cap from eBay.
Tle3g.jpg

I've had one of those silver Mazdaspeed oil caps from the MSM sitting around for like 4 years. Maybe I should put it on...

03MSP86, i painted the valve cover then sanded down carefully just where the letters were. after that, i cleared the whole valve cover. here's a better photo:

vc82.jpg

older engine bay pic:

bronzevalvecover2.jpg

Last edited:
03MSP86, i painted the valve cover then sanded down carefully just where the letters were. after that, i cleared the whole valve cover. here's a better photo:

+1PROPS!! That VC came out beautiful man. I was thinking pretty much the same, I was just a little worried of metal flakes seeping into the paint. Was yours in as bad condition as mine? AKA cleaning, sanding, prepping? What technique did you use. Im pussing out and sandblasting it lol

hell yeah mine was bad. i just degreased it with simple green and sanded it the best that i could. there are some tough spots to get to though. here's another pic for ya:

i-pfTfhpN-XL.jpg

OOOOH TONS OF TOUGH SPOTS! All the lil indents and grooves. Plus mine was full of calcium and lime deposits from being at the junkyard for god knows how long.....
Yours looks surprisingly clean. In a good way! Usually there will be webs. Yours came out wicked smooth and consistent. Im highly impressed. You can tell you put the time and effort into cleaning and sanding. Im ssssstraight with doing that by hand. hahahah

just painted a 323 emblem matte silver to match the stock msp emblems. this rattle can isn't an exact match but it's pretty close! got this at lowes:

i-5k5tHkJ-L.jpg

i-Xk7gLvK-L.jpg

i-6Mx9qmw-L.jpg

i-QP4Ws4W-L.jpg

Anyone doing sanding like that... invest in a sanding block designed for 6" PSA (pressure sensative adhesive) sanding disks. Anyone who is subbed to the engine bay pic thread can see the results when using one on plastic, but sanding alloy is really no different.

taking off the protege badge and sticking it there. holes are the same for both emblems

Read in another post about 5th gear boom, whats the deal with that? Is that a fact?

And what are you guys shifting at? I granny shift like 4 or less usually. But a lot of it has to do with the horrible straight pipe raspy exhaust. Im not a big fan of it.

Back