What have you done to your Miata today?

H&R Springs -at the house
Order from Flyin' Miata - in transit
New PPF - sitting near the car.

If I can ever have 20 minutes to myself, I'm going out there to work on it.

I believe the name of the thread is "What have you done to" not "What have you bought for". Otherwise I would be monopolizing this space!!

With every old car there's good & bad.
The good is I really love driving this car and whoever gets in to drive it thoroughly enjoys it...good mix of performance and high fun factor.
I've auto-x'd, time trial'd, drifted & road coursed this car...not to mention I did ALL those things + daily drove it while I was in Turkey!
The car is an iron horse!

The bad is it needs a little TLC. The carpet is s*** (planned on ripping it all out and having that bed liner stuff sprayed on the bare metal)
It leaks a little bit of oil (looks like a oil return line needs to be replaced).
It smokes just a little from normal wear & tear (its 20 years old!).

I had the motor rebuilt by Kevin (KCBHIW) before I left for Turkey (Fall 2006), I was in Turkey for 2 years & put less than 15k on the odo since the rebuild. I returned to the US and had the P5 for a while and the Miata only got drove to car meets and maybe to work (less than 5 miles round trip from my house), after that I deployed and it was in storage mode for 6 months. I haven't really drove it much since then (except wi/the top dropped on nice sunny WARM weekends), since the MS6 & CX7 joined the stable...so all in all...in about 5 years, roughly 20k total miles added to the motor. The body of the car is a different story lol. It has about 197k on it, was first red, now its the burnt spicy orange color that it has come to be known for. It was in 1 accident when I was in Turkey, hit an oil patch and smashed up the plastic bumpers & bits (including a tail & head light). It looked bad at first, but you'd never know from looking at it now. Thankfully it was only the bumper pieces & lights that need to be replaced, no frame damage what so ever). Oil changes on or about every 3k miles. Car has been maintained well especially for it being 20 years old. Hating to see it go, but need it gone since the wife is preggo & we don't get to enjoy it as much as we use to.

Here's the mods (I'm sure I'm missing 1 or 2 lol):
ENGINE///PERFORMANCE MODS:
Greddy Stage II Turbo Kit (10 pounds of boost)
Greddy Fuel Pressure Regulator
Mazda RX-7 Fuel Pump
NISMO 240SX Front Mount Intercooler
Custom-made Intercooler Pipes
TurboXS BOV
Polished TurboXS BOV Flange Pipe
Pontiac Fiero Radiator
Mazda Protege 2.0 Fan
HKS Mushroom Air Intake Filter
Turkish-Design Custom Oil - Turbo Lines
Exedy Clutch
440cc Fuel Injectors
Flyin' Miata Competiton Mounts
Tsudo Cat-back
Custom down pipe

SUSPENSION///BRAKE MODS:
Dropzone Coilovers
Kirk Racing Products 4-Point Roll Bar
Stock Daisy Wheels (DIY black paint)
Kumho Victoracer Rubber (Track rubber - old but will include)
Upgraded Stock 1.6L To 1.8L Brakes
88Rotors Slotted & Cross Drilled Front Rotors
PBR XBG Performance Pads Front
88Rotors Slotted & Cross Drilled Rear Rotors
PBR XBG Performance Pads Rear
Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Viscous Limited Slip Differential
Air Conditioning Uninstalled
Power Steering Uninstalled

MISC. ITEMS MODS:
Upgraded Steering Wheel
Relocated Horn
PROSPORT Boost Gauge
PROSPORT Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge
PROSPORT Voltometer Gauge
PROSPORT EGT Gauge
HKS Turbo Timer
2005 MazdaSpeed Convertible Top
VS Billet Camera Mount
Some unknwon brand racing seats from Japan
MazdaSpeed Race Harnesses
Upgraded shift knob
Short shifter
Carbon Fiber Shift Boot
Carbon Fiber E-brake Handle
Mazda 'Zoom-Zoom' Dashboard Decal

ICE MODS:
JVC MP3/WMA Headunit
Pioneer 6.5" Component Door Speakers
8" Kicker Sub
Custom handmade enclosure w/MSP 250W Kenwood Amp Rack (yes I fit a MazdaSpeed Protege amp rack in the Miata trunk)

EXTERIOR MODS:
Custom Look-a-like Spicy MSP Paint
Custom handmade 1-off front lip (Garage Vary style)
Moss Motors dual projector headlamps w/custom HID setup
Smoked bumper/turn lights
Shaved Antenna
Windshield Squirters Delete
JDM Rear Finish Panel
USDM Emblems Delete
JDM Emblems Installed & Painted Black
Porsche Cayenne 'Turbo' Badge Installed & Painted Black
Ratsback Carbon Fiber Headlight Covers painted
JDM side view mirrors
20% Tint On All Glass (including the windshield...because its bright as fk when the top is down lol)...

Last edited:
Still making progress on our SCCA STS class autocrossing '93 Miata

Fatcat coilovers showed up Christmas eve and were installed New Years Day. Still needs to be aligned and corner balanced, hope to have that done this week

Flyin Miata high-flow cat and exhaust went on last weekend.

Rear brake pads ordered tonight

Still need an intake (suggestions welcome) and tires. Almost pulled the trigger on TRM C1 15x7.5 with 225/45/15 RS3 but will cheap out for now and get 195/50/15 Toyo R1R on a set of RPF1 wheels I already have. We'll start the season on tires we ran last year, one set of RE11 and one set of Kuhmo XS, both on Kosei K1 wheels. Loved the RE11s but not as happy with the Kuhmos

Also have to prep the body for paint. Might tackle the painting myself, might convince my dad to do it if I bring it to him ready to shoot. Bad news is that he's 500 miles away.

Bought our tow vehicle, 2011 Toyota 4Runner rated to tow 5000 lbs. Starting trailer shopping now.

The plan is to run all the DC region SCCA events as well as Autocrossers Inc (SCCA chapter club), maybe some smaller clubs too but not many. Serious stuff includes towing down to Atlanta for the National Tour there in May and then evaluate our chances of not sucking at the Solo National Championship in Lincoln Nebraska in late August.

I suppose a build thread could be in order, but it's a very slow build on a non-exciting-looking car.

The wife will give the suspension its first test this weekend with the BMW club while I'm out of town.

Switched the car from winter to summer mode. Installed the MS front bumper, lowered the ride, put on the summer wheels. Now it's snowing. Bah.

how much is it from the dealer? And how much would it be to do it yourself?

$27 for a prebent one vs $7 plus whatever I find a bending tool for.

Not sure if this is a worthwhile skill to learn...also wonder if I will need more than one piece to get the technique down. ;)

Pre-bent is totally worth the money unless you're a masochist. Hahaha.

Back