2017~2024 Weird flap on rear wheel arches?

rhojos14

:
2017 CX-5
So I dont really know how to describe this, but Im sure other people with 2017s know what Im talking about. On the back on the rear wheel arches whats up with the little bit that sticks out? Is it something to do with aerodynamics? This is purely out of curiosity, Ive been trying to figure it out for a while and have had no luck. Ill post a picture tomorrow if yall dont know what Im talking about

It’s supposed to help with keeping the rear panels clean, kinda like a built in mud flap. At least that’s what our salesman told us.

Im sure Ive got a pdf somewhere. I believe it changes the airflow around the wheel arch to reduce drag.

I must admit when I saw it my immediate thought was it reduced dirt thrown up by the wheels, if it is for reducing drag then that's another reason not to use mudflaps IMO.

Mudflaps should be standard equipment in Canada.

Mudflaps are mounted behind the wheels.
The flaps he's talking about are in front of the rear wheels, attached to the rocker panel..
My Mazda 6 has them as well.
I've also noticed them on a lot of other modern cars.
Would be nice to know what they actually do.

Did a little googling and found some conversations on other forums about these things. Lots of vehicles have them.
The consensus seems to be that they act as an aerodynamic aid to smooth out the air flow before and around the rear wheels. Supposedly aids in reducing drag, and increasing mpg's.

Last edited:
Mudflaps are mounted behind the wheels.
The flaps he's talking about are in front of the rear wheels, attached to the rocker panel..
My Mazda 6 has them as well.
I've also noticed them on a lot of other modern cars.
Would be nice to know what they actually do.

Did a little googling and found some conversations on other forums about these things. Lots of vehicles have them.
The consensus seems to be that they act as an aerodynamic aid to smooth out the air flow before and around the rear wheels. Supposedly aids in reducing drag, and increasing mpg's.

No, I dont think so. Those flaps in front of the wheel alter the airflow under the wheels and car. I can find you a pdf on those. What I think the op is on about is a very small flare towards the back of the wheel arch fender.

What has happened to this forum? I cant find where to add attachments!

Got it now.......
Okay and I think the pictures below of my car may be what folks are chatting about. Front and rear pictures of flaps.
dc3546282951186c3e4519d05f51dd5b.jpg
8fa51ceabb5c35e6360877d205ca383a.jpg

A bit of confusion between the optional accessory mud flaps and this unique design airflow built into the wheel well trim.

A bit of confusion between the optional accessory mud flaps and this unique design airflow built into the wheel well trim.

This pic shows what I think the OP is referring to, on the rear wheel arch molding at about the 2 o'clock position.

New-2018-Mazda-CX-5-Touring-ID1187873253

Okay and I think the pictures below of my car may be what folks are chatting about. Front and rear pictures of flaps.
dc3546282951186c3e4519d05f51dd5b.jpg
8fa51ceabb5c35e6360877d205ca383a.jpg

This pic shows what I think the OP is referring to, on the rear wheel arch molding at about the 2 o'clock position.

New-2018-Mazda-CX-5-Touring-ID1187873253

Those aren't mudflaps. Those help air flow.

Other manufacturers have similar devices

Back