Webrides: MS3 vs R32

So then what car WOULD be a good comparison to the MS3 price and powerwise?

I am thinking that maybe the G8 could work even though they seem like very different cars.

I am referring to the base model engine that has a DOHC 3.6-liter V-6 making 261 hp and 250 lb-ft of torque.

The Gti (not the R32) SHOULD be a good match up but it's simply not.

The Gti (not the R32) SHOULD be a good match up but it's simply not.[/QUOTE]

gti mmmmm i dont know abaut that

that's the beauty of our car. There simply is no car to match in terms of its price and performance. It is one of those car that will be remembered and will be missed by many.

well first off I agree with the WHAT IFs AND BS but OK the price is not the same and stated in SCC it destroys any car in its class including the civc si and the VW GTI..it does better than cars that cost more than it too...I think spec wise it was the BEST comparision they could do(maybe a SRT-4 which isnt a new car), very close, This doesnt need to go any farther...could have easy said some BS like buy a camaro ss for under 22k and stock for stock **** it up..but thats nonsense..theres no need for more comparing to make you feel even better about owing a MS3 or to make those hardcore VWs fans shutup....The MS3 beat the higher costing R32 fair and sqaure, stock for stock and is a amazing car in my eyes, but that does not mean its a better car for reasons I stated above plus the technology of the cars, so just keep that in mind for anyone who got butt hurt about it....but go ahead and admit that the MS3 straight ****** it up on the track.

I really do not get this "price and performance" crap on here. I know it's a fast car and an affordable car, don't get me wrong, but people keep falling back on price as a defense when performance or potential are lacking. "Yea, that car is faster, but it costs more!" It always ends up sounding like a fanboy cop out.

Then there is the "comparing apples to oranges" defense any time someone points out another vehicle that compares to the Mazdaspeed3. More cylinders, different drive train, N/A, who cares, can't compare them, apples to oranges! Guess what guys! You actually <i>can</i> compare things which are different! That's sort of the point of a comparison.

As a Mazda owner and Mazda fan, it's annoying to hear people cop out of intelligent and informed car talk by pulling these little ploys, putting our car so far up on a pedestal that it can't possibly be touched (let alone mentioned in the same breath as those other rides).

End rant.

you compare within a price range and number of cylinders (which typically goes hand in hand with a sports car, meaning a sport compact will have 4), then go further by comparing drivetrain, transmission. then you have ancillary stuff like seating, options, etc.

it's pretty unusual for a car to be so dominant in a certain class like the ms3 is...class, which would be sport compact under 25k if i had to nail it down to one.

unfortunately, a mkV GTI ends up being more expensive than 25k, so it almost by default eliminates itself from the class if looking from that angle. the r32 and STi are without a doubt in a different league, and not because they perform better or not, but because they are waaay expensive. a 6cyl Chrysler 300c is also in a different class, because it's a big ass sedan, so you get what i mean i hope...

that was just painful to watch.. That guy shouldn't be allowed to talk. Personally I've never been a fan of VW, they are quiet expensive and don't have the best of reliability.

me? lol ive been bored all day as you can tell. well anyways I think it had to be compared to a R32 because theres no way they would even bother comparing it to something in its price range its the closest performance to it, and the reason I bring up potential and all that other junk is because of the people earlier talking about mods and s*** which doesnt mean crap to a real review (stock for stock)..long story short I agree with you guys that the MS3 wins just had to speak out on that other crap earlier.

builthatch pretty much nailed it.

The R32 is in a different class and should not be compared to the MS3. Performance is one thing, engineering, comfort and technology is another. The R32 is the superior car overall and that's because it SHOULD be.

The MS3, GTI and WRX are all low-cost performance cars for their generation and manufacturer. You really stick to this category if you're going to compare track and slip times.

as much as I love my speed 3, there are others cars out there that will beat it like a red headed stepchild. :) Just plain facts....

But we know the R32 isn't one of them LOL..

If you want to get extremely emarassed, try messing with an ariel atom on the asphalt. Now that would be a sound ass whooping if there ever was one.

you compare within a price range and number of cylinders (which typically goes hand in hand with a sports car, meaning a sport compact will have 4), then go further by comparing drivetrain, transmission. then you have ancillary stuff like seating, options, etc.

it's pretty unusual for a car to be so dominant in a certain class like the ms3 is...class, which would be sport compact under 25k if i had to nail it down to one.

unfortunately, a mkV GTI ends up being more expensive than 25k, so it almost by default eliminates itself from the class if looking from that angle. the r32 and STi are without a doubt in a different league, and not because they perform better or not, but because they are waaay expensive. a 6cyl Chrysler 300c is also in a different class, because it's a big ass sedan, so you get what i mean i hope...
That's crap. Listen to the discussions on here some time. Pick a car you might compare the MS3 to and inevitably someone will fall back to some lame cop out instead of appreciating the merits of the other vehicle. "SRT-4? Sure it's fast but it's UGLY! GTI? Slow! VR6? AWD and all but too pricey. STI? It's not worth 10k more! Evo? Hells naw, drives too raw, and it's not a hatch!" While there is nothing wrong with those arguments, they come out at the expense of ever acknowledging another car having any merit. I talk this stuff with people all the time, and somehow we manage to discuss vehicles without sounding like fan boys or a Mazda marketing wing. It's annoying as hell to see on here.

I don't need pointers on how to compare vehicles, either. My point has nothing to do with that. When people on here make comparisons to similar vehicles, it's a circle jerk for the Mazdaspeed3. Remember any of the Caliber SRT-4 threads? "It's as fast as the MS3 -> Yea but it's ugly." Or "There is a big after market community -> Yea well it needs it!" Or "Price is pretty similar -> Yea well we get more for the same price, plus the interior is crap!" Never would anyone on here say "Yea, it's about as fast, with a strong after market, and a pretty similar price."

When people on here make comparisons to vehicles we have no business trying to compare to, it's another circle jerk for the Mazdaspeed3. STIs, RX-8s, S2000's, Evo's, SRT-8 Jeeps, etc etc etc. "Faster, sure, but we're cheaper! We win!" "Rear wheel drive, sure, but we can seat four!" "AWD, who cares? I can fit a big screen in my car!" "Hah, okay, so it walks away from my car, but I get better mileage."

The scope of the comparison shifts depending on if we are losing or not. If it's a comparison about speed and we're not winning, price and functionality are injected into the conversation so we still "win." If it's about driving fun and handling and we're not winning, straight line speed and price are injected into the conversation so we still "win." It's bull. I'm starting to wonder if I'm driving a car or Jesus, since it can apparently do no wrong.

Last edited:
I'm starting to wonder if I'm driving a car or Jesus, since it can apparently do no wrong.

Quote of the day material right there (rofl2)

Just turn on off the DSC and get throttle happy on tight turns, you will find out in a hurry that things can go very wrong, very quickly LOL..

That's crap. Listen to the discussions on here some time. Pick a car you might compare the MS3 to and inevitably someone will fall back to some lame cop out instead of appreciating the merits of the other vehicle. "SRT-4? Sure it's fast but it's UGLY! GTI? Slow! VR6? AWD and all but too pricey. STI? It's not worth 10k more! Evo? Hells naw, drives too raw, and it's not a hatch!" While there is nothing wrong with those arguments, they come out at the expense of ever acknowledging another car having any merit. I talk this stuff with people all the time, and somehow we manage to discuss vehicles without sounding like fan boys or a Mazda marketing wing. It's annoying as hell to see on here.

I don't need pointers on how to compare vehicles, either. My point has nothing to do with that. When people on here make comparisons to similar vehicles, it's a circle jerk for the Mazdaspeed3. Remember any of the Caliber SRT-4 threads? "It's as fast as the MS3 -> Yea but it's ugly." Or "There is a big after market community -> Yea well it needs it!" Or "Price is pretty similar -> Yea well we get more for the same price, plus the interior is crap!" Never would anyone on here say "Yea, it's about as fast, with a strong after market, and a pretty similar price."

When people on here make comparisons to vehicles we have no business trying to compare to, it's another circle jerk for the Mazdaspeed3. STIs, RX-8s, S2000's, Evo's, SRT-8 Jeeps, etc etc etc. "Faster, sure, but we're cheaper! We win!" "Rear wheel drive, sure, but we can seat four!" "AWD, who cares? I can fit a big screen in my car!" "Hah, okay, so it walks away from my car, but I get better mileage."

The scope of the comparison shifts depending on if we are losing or not. If it's a comparison about speed and we're not winning, price and functionality are injected into the conversation so we still "win." If it's about driving fun and handling and we're not winning, straight line speed and price are injected into the conversation so we still "win." It's bull. I'm starting to wonder if I'm driving a car or Jesus, since it can apparently do no wrong.

Well, it's an ms3 forum first and foremost. Here we have a group of people who chose this car over the rest for various reasons. Those reasons come out, good or bad. We also have a younger crowd whos driving experience is more than likely limited to a few performance cars and in many cases ONLY the ms3 so it's tougher for them to 'appreciate' something they've never experienced. I'm guilty of that to some degree but I'm usually very honest about my feelings toward another car and don't gloss it over. In most instances all we have to reference are the opinions of others and mag stats.

well said happy and angry, people just like to believe they got the best deal or the best car. They don't want to hear that theres something better than what they just bought. Which is kind of understandable but for a 20 some thousand dollar car there will always be something better quality, something quicker, or something that handles better etc... I think for the money the MS3 does a good job, which is why I think most of us spent the money for it.

Sometimes simply being the best car is not enough anyways. I looked @ and drove several cars before buying the speed3. Several much nicer/faster cars were eliminated even before a test drive, simply because I am a very tall, large person. There is no sense even going for a test drive when you don't comfortable fit in the vehicle :)

Suprisingly the speed3 won out over many other cars when driver comfort/ shoulder and head room were taken into consideration. Price alone had nothing to do with the initial criteria for me. I was shopping for a daily driveable, fast car that was somewhat practical.

o ur right but we r talking about stock for stock if ur going to start moding the gti the mod up the ms3 see how going to win then

Back