Waxes, sealants, ceramics - Don't over think it

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
Lots of threads/questions on waxes, sealants etc. I realized today that I as way over-thinking this and most of you are too. Unless you're a pro, it almost doesn't matter, here's why....

Except for long winter periods I think most of us wash our cars at least every 2 months if not every 2 - 4 weeks. As you look at the online video reviews, you see 'torture tests' where they are comparing products side by side on a panel, most notably Turtle Wax Sean N' Shine, Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray and Meguiars. Without exception it seems to take the torture tests 3-5 washes with chemical cleaners, degreasers, and before a noticeable difference is seen. Really? I think most of us are enjoying topping/refreshing after most washes so they never really get to the point of degrading that is seen in the durability/torture tests.

I just washed my car and tested the TW Seal N' Shine, TW Hybrid Ceramic Spray and my favorite, Aquawax. - No discernable difference, and I expect I wouldn't see one through 3-5 regular washes either. Oh, the new Aquawax contentrate is the Duragloss Rinseless Wash with Aquawax and can be used as a spray detail, but with the added Aquawax I used it as a traditional spray wax after washing, though I expect it works well as a wax-as-you-dry with one $32 gallon of concentrate will make several hundred 32oz spray bottles

This was not meant to be a "what's the best product" thread, but OMG, look at what it took to remove the $10 & $15 Walmart products! I can't believe that many of us wouldn't have re-applied some sort of spray protection way before it gets to this. Just keep it simple with regular washing and maintenance.

Short version - most of us wash and spray so often it almost doesn't matter which you choose. Maybe start with a ceramic spray as a base and just use any other product after every 2-3 washes. Think about it, hasn't most of your cars looked pretty good many years later with regular cleaning?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting, I've been privately thinking the same thing. Planning to do a wash and wax of my new 2021 (eternal blue mica) this weekend before winter. IronX? Ceramic coatings? Clay bar? Nope. Just Meguiar's car wash soap and a good coat of One Grand Blitz carnauba wax.

After that, will probably just use touchless car washes when it's warm enough, and Meguiar's Ultimate Waterless Wash and Wax. I don't have time for all that other stuff.....

I use the Turtle Wax spray 12 month formula and have been very pleased. I apply it maybe once every 6-8 months, otherwise the dealership just washes the car every 2mo for me with my oil changes.

I know I said this was not meant to be a "which product" thread, but I can't resist. How about this, after application of "improved" SnS, and cleaning after with, Reset Shampoo, Iron remover, 2 rounds of degreaser, heavy duty all purpose cleaner. improved version

Thanks for your opinion. I'm sure we can all think for ourselves and decide how we want to maintain our cars, but it is always very helpful to hear how others approach the subject.

Except for long winter periods I think most of us wash our cars at least every 2 months if not every 2 - 4 weeks.
I think most of us are enjoying topping/refreshing after most washes so they never really get to the point of degrading that is seen in the durability/torture tests.
Ican't believe that many of us wouldn't have re-applied some sort of spray protection way before it gets to this. Just keep it simple with regular washing and maintenance.
It is obvious you live in Phoenix based on your post.
There are vast swaths of the country that can't physically wash a vehicle and apply protection "every 2 to 4 weeks." The weather and temperatures simply don't allow it.

Fortunately, I live in Arizona so hard freezing for several months is not an issue but due to the elevation in my part of the state, it is often very uncomfortable washing a car but it isn't impossible.

However, I remember those places that I have lived in the past that if you got a car wash, your doors handles wouldn't work very well until you got your car back into your garage where, hopefully, it might be warm enough to get them operating normally again.

When I wax, I only use a pure Carnauba wax. It has to be pure because some of the Carnauba products have cleaners in them. Not for me.

Pure Carnauba offers the best shine but more importantly, it does not remove any of the vehicle's clear coat.

Yes, with pure Carnauba, you have to apply it more often but then again, it goes on easy and wipes off easy. Also, nothing fills in those tiny spider web scratches to give a fabulous shine like pure Carnauba does.

I won't go into the importance of proper washing as that's another subject just as important as the wax protection you use after the wash.

Since this post is about not overthinking what you use to protect the finish of your vehicle, PURE Carnauba is about as simple as it gets.

Our thin clear coats on the new cars these days need to be babied. Using pure Carnauba does just that.

Yep, we all are different and have different needs and wants. Pure Carnauba wax or wax variants, as David stated longevity is usually the Achilles heel. Not even getting into if the wax has any UV protection ( additives). Plus you can not get that stuff on plastic trim ( don't forget to protect that too). Guess if you love to wax on and wax off every month, go for it and protect it...
Really the take away here is just ensuring you always have a good level exterior protection, you execute a safe and proper prep & maintenance process (not car washes and touchless) . The other "simple" goal here is not to exposure your pure clear coat to the nasty natural elements and all the road debris, chemicals, metals, and contaminates ...& more...
tenor.gif

Lots of threads/questions on waxes, sealants etc. I realized today that I as way over-thinking this and most of you are too. Unless you're a pro, it almost doesn't matter, here's why....

Except for long winter periods I think most of us wash our cars at least every 2 months if not every 2 - 4 weeks. As you look at the online video reviews, you see 'torture tests' where they are comparing products side by side on a panel, most notably Turtle Wax Sean N' Shine, Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray and Meguiars. Without exception it seems to take the torture tests 3-5 washes with chemical cleaners, degreasers, and before a noticeable difference is seen. Really? I think most of us are enjoying topping/refreshing after most washes so they never really get to the point of degrading that is seen in the durability/torture tests.

I just washed my car and tested the TW Seal N' Shine, TW Hybrid Ceramic Spray and my favorite, Aquawax. - No discernable difference, and I expect I wouldn't see one through 3-5 regular washes either. Oh, the new Aquawax contentrate is the Duragloss Rinseless Wash with Aquawax and can be used as a spray detail, but with the added Aquawax I used it as a traditional spray wax after washing, though I expect it works well as a wax-as-you-dry with one $32 gallon of concentrate will make several hundred 32oz spray bottles

This was not meant to be a "what's the best product" thread, but OMG, look at what it took to remove the $10 & $15 Walmart products! I can't believe that many of us wouldn't have re-applied some sort of spray protection way before it gets to this. Just keep it simple with regular washing and maintenance.

Short version - most of us wash and spray so often it almost doesn't matter which you choose. Maybe start with a ceramic spray as a base and just use any other product after every 2-3 washes. Think about it, hasn't most of your cars looked pretty good many years later with regular cleaning?
If it is worth doing, it worth over Doing.....! With soft thin paint and clear coat on the mazda, it is worth protecting it the very best you can.

WOW, what a great product. I never heard of it.
I'm glad I read this thread. I then spent nearly four hours watching videos regarding the product.
I personally don't take my vehicles to the carwash, I wash them by hand ( I really enjoy it) so I just placed the order and I ended up buying the three products together.
Thank you again.

Wax 53412 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Polish and Wax
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Thanks for posting, I've been privately thinking the same thing. Planning to do a wash and wax of my new 2021 (eternal blue mica) this weekend before winter. IronX? Ceramic coatings? Clay bar? Nope. Just Meguiar's car wash soap and a good coat of One Grand Blitz carnauba wax.

After that, will probably just use touchless car washes when it's warm enough, and Meguiar's Ultimate Waterless Wash and Wax. I don't have time for all that other stuff.....
I'm in the same boat, limited time. I have a 2017 GT same color... Love it 🤘

So I may be the fortunate one with the ability to driveway wash it whenever I want (though this weekend when it was 107 I got up at 5am to do so) But that's why I think that if I'm washing it every month, that it almost doesn't matter what I do, Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax, Seal and Shine, Duragloss Aquawax - all the same for my situation - any difference will be marginal with no discernable difference in condition in 5 years. In my case probably need more attention to detail on the plastic than the paint.

Where I live, we are only allowed to wash our cars with water on the street due to drainage regulations. So we have to take it to a car wash every time we want to do a proper wash.

I personally apply Jade Ceramic Pro (I used their new graphene version on my 21 CX-5) to my and my families vehicles. Its fairly easy to apply, but it does take patience and if you make a mistake and leave it on too long before you remove it and it hardens, you will need the right product to remove any 'high spots'.

However, the end result is amazing. We have vehicles as old as 2016 and the ceramic is till going strong. It still beads like new and the paint looks as it was on day one of ownership and, since basically nothing can adhere to it, the paint is still as smooth as factory new.

I was originally unsure about applying the product and paid a pro for the first installation a few years ago, but after watching the install and studying youtube I know how to do it myself.

I used to use Zaino products as their technology was great and imparted a deep protective shine, but required maintenance about every 3-6 months.

I will never use wax or any other product again (unless something better comes along).

BTW I have noted that just about every company that makes car protection products is now adding ceramic tech to their product line. It will be interesting to see how those products work out. I did apply Armor All's ceramic tire protection on my cx-5 tires last weekend. Looking forward to seeing how it performs long term.

Just my $.02 if anyone cares.

Last edited:
I personally apply Jade Ceramic Pro (I used their new graphene version on my 21 CX-5) to my and my families vehicles. Its fairly easy to apply, but it does take patience and if you make a mistake and leave it on too long before you remove it and it hardens, you will need the right product to remove any 'high spots'.

However, the end result is amazing. We have vehicles as old as 2016 and the ceramic is till going strong. It still beads like new and the paint looks as it was on day one of ownership and, since basically nothing can adhere to it, the paint is still as smooth as factory new.

I was originally unsure about applying the product and paid a pro for the first installation a few years ago, but after watching the install and studying youtube I know how to do it myself.

I used to use Zaino products as their technology was great and imparted a deep protective shine, but required maintenance about every 3-6 months.

I will never use wax or any other product again (unless something better comes along).

BTW I have noted that just about every company that makes car protection products is now adding ceramic tech to their product line. It will be interesting to see how those products work out. I did apply Armor All's ceramic tire protection on my cx-5 tires last weekend. Looking forward to seeing how it performs long term.

Just my $.02 if anyone cares.
Great news....it is really whatever works best for you. Also true, there are so many different products flooding the market it all about doing the maintaince process as best you can. Some enjoy it, some have no means to wash it home, so no one size fits all. Mazda have very thin paint/clear coat, so I also wanted to a ceramic coat and I will continue to maintain it. I like doing it too....I have some friends that could careless, hate it... carwash life is there choice...

I see mentions of using ceramic coating as a method of protecting the thin Mazda paint. Unfortunately, even the manufacturers of most ceramic coating agree that they are unable to provide any significant protection against rock chips, and very limited protection against light scratching and even water spots (enough water still sits and evaporates off the surface leaving mineral deposits over time). They do provide protection against UV damage and acid etching from things such as bird droppings. Don't buy into the infomercial type marketing from some coating brands. Paint protection film is what's going to protect your paint from chips and scratches, if you are willing to invest in that.

Also, on the choice of product, there are a lot more reasons than simply maintaining a coating with some level of hydrophobic properties. Different products have different gloss properties, clarity, color enhancement, ability to layer, ease of application & removal, ability to use on both paint & trim, UV protection, etc. Some at the high end of the market swear that carnauba has a depth and warmth you don't get with ceramic or polymer sealants (ceramic coating is really just a newer form of these and is not really ceramic at all, but a siloxane polymer). We all also live in and expose our vehicles to very different environmental conditions.

In the end, we all choose how well we care for our cars, and regardless of products used, it really comes down to proper cleaning and care as the best method to maintain not just the paint but all of the car. Some products make it a bit easier, and some may provide a better appearance, but a lot of the differences are exaggerated, and as was mentioned some of us just enjoy the process of taking care of our cars. We all also like to be right and have a confirmation bias, so we see the results we want to see. Person A may look at a car and say it looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor while Person B sees a ton of paint defects needing correction and a variety of other accumulated wear and damage. As long as you're happy with what you're doing, enjoy your car, and if it suits you, enjoy your detailing process.

Back