Warning Lights on Dash - Malfunction?

Javaman

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD
This morning, after starting up my CX-5, I noticed that 3 warning lights appeared on my dash and did not go away at all - they stayed on the entire drive to work, and even after shutting the engine down and starting back up (at a gas station stop), the lights remained on the entire time until I shut the car off again.

ABS light, Tire Pressure light, and the light that looks like a car and winding road marks below it.

My CX-5 has only 4,300 miles on it.

I checked the manual and it says if they stay on that it's likely a malfunction? Should I take it in?

This happen to anyone else?

Hasn't happened to me, but, I'd be taking it in if I were you. Especially since the TPMS is linked to the ABS and traction control can't be too far removed from them.

Take it in immediately, mention you are concerned about safety, expect a loaner car too.

Please let us know what codes the dealership pulls from the computer

Dropped it off at the dealer this morning. Just got off the phone with them - apparently it was a bad rear sensor or something like that, which was causing the ABS light, the Tire Pressure light, and the TCS light to show up - malfunctions.

Dropped it off at the dealer this morning. Just got off the phone with them - apparently it was a bad rear sensor or something like that, which was causing the ABS light, the Tire Pressure light, and the TCS light to show up - malfunctions.

Thanks for prelim report, please let us know what the invoice says later.

Thanks for prelim report, please let us know what the invoice says later.

Will do.

Unfortunately, they had to order the part, so they can't even begin working on it until the part arrives tomorrow - kind of a pain, but whatever, at least it's covered under the warranty.

Will do.

Unfortunately, they had to order the part, so they can't even begin working on it until the part arrives tomorrow - kind of a pain, but whatever, at least it's covered under the warranty.

Good for us (because at least the part will be listed on invoice).

Bad for you, but I hope you got a decent loaner car since you are out of a car.

Good for us (because at least the part will be listed on invoice).

Bad for you, but I hope you got a decent loaner car since you are out of a car.

So, get this....

Got it back last night - a wire connected to the rear wheel sensor (for monitoring ABS, Tire Pressure, etc) was cut/severed...

The mechanic told me it's not covered under the warranty because it was likely some sort of animal that probably chewed on it and cut it (apparently not the first time he's seen this - it's happened to other people as well).

Crazy, right?

Anyway, that was the problem - it wasn't a malfunction in the parts, the wire was actually cut.

So, get this....

Got it back last night - a wire connected to the rear wheel sensor (for monitoring ABS, Tire Pressure, etc) was cut/severed...

The mechanic told me it's not covered under the warranty because it was likely some sort of animal that probably chewed on it and cut it (apparently not the first time he's seen this - it's happened to other people as well).

Crazy, right?

Anyway, that was the problem - it wasn't a malfunction in the parts, the wire was actually cut.

Mmmm, so he saw teeth marks on the wire?

Hopefully the charge to repair was no big deal...

This exact thing has been happening on my 2014 CX5 (same lights). With 3800 miles. I took it in once but (annoying enough) the lights went out ON my drive there! They had been on and off (mostly on) for days before that. Figure. They couldn't find any codes because the lights weren't on, but they did search for some time for a problem. Nothing was found. They said it was likely some sand from the road treatment. Which I wasn't buying because salt and sand is generally expected in the winter with all car being able to handle it and not malfunction.
The next day they came back on and have been on and off for a month. Haven't had a chance to take it back in yet but I'm just gonna drive there when they are on and hope they stay on til I arrive. They better not tell me an animal chewed my tire.

This exact thing has been happening on my 2014 CX5 (same lights). With 3800 miles. I took it in once but (annoying enough) the lights went out ON my drive there! They had been on and off (mostly on) for days before that. Figure. They couldn't find any codes because the lights weren't on, but they did search for some time for a problem. Nothing was found. They said it was likely some sand from the road treatment. Which I wasn't buying because salt and sand is generally expected in the winter with all car being able to handle it and not malfunction.
The next day they came back on and have been on and off for a month. Haven't had a chance to take it back in yet but I'm just gonna drive there when they are on and hope they stay on til I arrive. They better not tell me an animal chewed my tire.
I shouldn't matter if the lights are on or off when you take it in. The ECU stores codes for a period of time even if the lights go out.

I would suspect some type of road trash got thrown into the wire and broke it, rather than a critter. I did have a rat build a nest on the top of my corvette engine when I did not drive it for 3 months but luckily there were no wires cut.

Back