Twiggy Sticks Install, tuning and results thread

you could find also, that the problem is a LACK of air at idle. I found, even with the idle adjustment screw all the way out, i couldn't get any kind of decent (let alone stable) vac signal. Idle was utterly saturated with fuel as a result. This COULD be your problem.

I got around it by cracking the throttle open slightly (the naughty-do-not-touch-adjustment-hex-bolt-and-lock-nut thingy beside the idle adjust screw), then reset my throttle position sensor to zero on the microtech. One way to check if this is a possible solution for you is to let it idle with the poor vac, then open the throttle slightly (say, 2%) and see if the vac improves. If this is the case, i'd suggest you need to open the throttle, or bore out the bypass valve to let more air through at idle. Or you can drill a small hole in your throttle plate.

Opening the throttle may not be an option for you with the stock ecu though, unless there is some way of calibrating the tps 0% point (there would have to be, but god knows what it is).

You're dead on about the ramp rate...the duration isn't that crazy. What is insane is the speed at which the damn things open....you get alot more effective valve open area, for a lot more of the rotation than you would otherwise get.

I had to open the throttle plate slightly along with the IAC screw turned all the way out as well. I have gotten numerous compliments on the sound esp. above 4K. Turfburn actually said once it is the best sounding NA protoge hes ever heard. ;)

I didn't think a rivet would be the safest. The engine has already eaten a VICS screw!

Loved that idle, it just sounded so mean, especially in carparks and at the maccas drive thru!

"That noise is coming from THAT thing???" (Stock looking BJ 1.8, typically driven by older women around here it seems).

But the best thing about them was the responsiveness when combined with the other mods and tuned (Injen CAI, Pacemaker header, 2.25 midpipe, RB catback, emanage ultimate and a 7,750rpm rev limit). Not huge power, just smack the passenger's head back into the headrest type snappiness. I miss it.

I had to open the throttle plate slightly along with the IAC screw turned all the way out as well. I have gotten numerous compliments on the sound esp. above 4K. Turfburn actually said once it is the best sounding NA protoge hes ever heard. ;)
yeah they are animals - mine's rolling on stock exhaust at the moment, still sounds like i'm tearing open a gateway to the 7th layer of hell on its way to the 7000rpm rev limit....not that you get to stay up there for long, the top end response is unbelievable (i've had the thing on the track, the surge from 4k to 6k in 3rd gear is ferocious). My fav sounding one is AusOrion's - twiggy cams with autoexe header and racing beat exhaust.... so mellow at idle, but at the same time, you can hear how p!ssed off the motor is living with 1000rpm.... when you let it go on the street, it sounds unreal.

anyway jimmy - soundclips already!...sheesh.
I didn't think a rivet would be the safest. The engine has already eaten a VICS screw!

Loved that idle, it just sounded so mean, especially in carparks and at the maccas drive thru!

"That noise is coming from THAT thing???" (Stock looking BJ 1.8, typically driven by older women around here it seems).

But the best thing about them was the responsiveness when combined with the other mods and tuned (Injen CAI, Pacemaker header, 2.25 midpipe, RB catback, emanage ultimate and a 7,750rpm rev limit). Not huge power, just smack the passenger's head back into the headrest type snappiness. I miss it.

If you've already dropped a vics screw, don't tempt fate by using a rivit - just replace the throttle (will cost you like $50 at a wrecker - i'd be surprised if it cost any more than that!).
The response is great - i've had the side exit exhaust on the car for racing which frees up my current restriction and its gob smacking how much it throws you back - and the revs! the motor feels like its dropped 10mm of stroke when it gets on the cam at 4k - truely awesome.

Its sad you lot have had to pull the pin on running your cams :( I reckon they are perhaps the single best mod ever made for the car - but i get that they are a little mental for every day use - though i'd love to know how the car "behaves" from somone like jimmysuite...the higher compression will mean a higher dynamic compression - which will compensate somewhat for the large overlap.... jimmy? whats it like??? :p

Once the IAS is all the way out you can adjust the TAS and use a multimeter, engine management computer or just a multimeter to monitor the adjustments to the TAS. This might just confuse your PCM though. Make sure you note the original voltage at 0% TPS, or at least mark the screw so you can return it to the original position.
I'll have to keep this in mind. So it doesn't look good as far as using the IAS alone to find an idle. I'm just afraid to play with the TAS because I do not have a full standalone, nor do I plan on getting one. I also do not want to have the throttle in tension at all times (when I let off the gas I want the throttle to close!). I ran into this issue when I installed a 626 IM and the throttle cable was a little stretched - it would prevent the throttle from closing when I let of the gas and I could literally cruise at 1500 RPM without my foot on the throttle pedal. If there's a way to avoid the above and still run these cams without misfires, please let me know or I too will probably end up ditching these for something less agressive.

The response is great - i've had the side exit exhaust on the car for racing which frees up my current restriction and its gob smacking how much it throws you back - and the revs! the motor feels like its dropped 10mm of stroke when it gets on the cam at 4k - truely awesome.

Its sad you lot have had to pull the pin on running your cams :( I reckon they are perhaps the single best mod ever made for the car - but i get that they are a little mental for every day use - though i'd love to know how the car "behaves" from somone like jimmysuite...the higher compression will mean a higher dynamic compression - which will compensate somewhat for the large overlap.... jimmy? whats it like??? :p

Your description sounds very similar to mine. I've got more get up an go than a stock MSP but the wife dosent like to ride in the car because it sounds "dangerous" and is "too fast".
Until i get the sound clips think of my car probably sounding close to Aus Orion's. I'm in the same boat as you guys though I still think there are several ponies still left to be unlocked on my P5. LW you are welcome to hop on over to WI and see for yourself. ;)

Your description sounds very similar to mine. I've got more get up an go than a stock MSP but the wife dosent like to ride in the car because it sounds "dangerous" and is "too fast".
Until i get the sound clips think of my car probably sounding close to Aus Orion's. I'm in the same boat as you guys though I still think there are several ponies still left to be unlocked on my P5. LW you are welcome to hop on over to WI and see for yourself. ;)

haha..might just take you up on that offer one of these days..hah
out of curiosity - where have you got the idle sitting? and what kind of vac do you pull at idle (i'm floating around 20"hg when hot, but fluctuating between 13"hg and 19"hg on cold start....)

as for dangerous and too fast - how's she going to cope with the stage 2 engine? @ north of 200whp and twice as loud, twice as angry.....haha.... i definantly don't think it will be wife safe - time to buy her a car for herself buddy! :)

Last edited:
haha..might just take you up on that offer one of these days..hah
out of curiosity - where have you got the idle sitting? and what kind of vac do you pull at idle (i'm floating around 20"hg when hot, but fluctuating between 13"hg and 19"hg on cold start....)

as for dangerous and too fast - how's she going to cope with the stage 2 engine? @ north of 200whp and twice as loud, twice as angry.....haha.... i definantly don't think it will be wife safe - time to buy her a car for herself buddy! :)

Truth is I havent driven the car for the last few months, but what you are describing sounds spot on for my car as well. (I'm not too bummed since there has been quite a bit of snow on the ground) Hopefully by the end of the month she'll look like I just got her off the showroom floor.

As for the wife, the boulder has already started rolling down the mountain on that topic. She'll have a new car before I have FSDE mkII.

I've just noticed that my set of cams doesn't have the part circled in the pic, is that going to be a problem with the install?

Attachments

• Picture013.jpg
    Picture013.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 206
I've just noticed that my set of cams doesn't have the part circled in the pic, is that going to be a problem with the install?

If you're referring to the "hex" head then yes, they enable you to put a wrench o nthem and turn them to align the timing belt. Not that you can't do it without, but it's not the best way...

If you're referring to the "hex" head then yes, they enable you to put a wrench o nthem and turn them to align the timing belt. Not that you can't do it without, but it's not the best way...

Thats what im worried about, its going to be a pain in the ass!!!

Are the Integral stage 2 cams dimensionally the same as these Twiggy cams?

Nope. From the specs, the lift is insane on the Integrals compared to the Twiggies. If you have no engine management and no cam gears, I wouldn't suggest them.

thanks.where can I find the specs on the Twiggy's

Nope. From the specs, the lift is insane on the Integrals compared to the Twiggies. If you have no engine management and no cam gears, I wouldn't suggest them.

you know whats sad......there are X amount of sets out there and the not a single ******* dyno record of these on the site.:mad:

If there is I'd like to know....lol

Last edited:
FYI...

from http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123663797&page=2
Crazee D said:
Twiggy Bumpstix - Intake
seat duration =
.050" duration = 221 degrees
Gross cam lift = .341"
Hot valve lash =
Net cam lift = .343"
intake opens 0.8 degrees BTDC
intake closes 40.8 degrees ABDC

Exhaust
seat duration =
.050" duration = 230 degrees
Gross cam lift = .374"
Hot valve lash =
Net cam lift = .375"
exhaust opens 5.9 degrees BTDC
exhaust closes 44.4 degrees ABDC

From the twiggy GB, note the measurements are quoted at .003" lift not .050"

twilightprotege said:
stock cams (us-spec 2L)
intake : 230deg @ 0.003" lift, 8.6487mm lift in total​
exhaust : 230deg @ 0.003" lift, 8.1737mm lift in total

stock cams (1.8L)
intake : 225deg @ 0.003" lift, 7.9527mm lift in total
exhaust : 230deg @ 0.003" lift, 8.1737mm lift in total

j-spec intake cam (2L)
241deg @ 0.003" lift, 8.6487mm lift in total​

mazdaspeed exhaust cam (2L)
241deg @ 0.003" lift, 8.6487mm lift in total​

twiggy cams
intake : 252deg @ 0.003" lift, 8.763mm lift in total
exhaust : 254deg @ 0.003" lift, 9.017mm lift in total​

From integrals site:
<TABLE borderColorDark=#999966 width="100%" borderColorLight=#cccc99 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width="20%">[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Seat Duration (.014")<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Seat Duration + .003"<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica].050" Duration<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Gross Cam Lift<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]<TABLE borderColorDark=#999966 width="100%" borderColorLight=#cccc99 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Stock (intake / exhaust)<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
254 / 237<!--mstheme-->​
[/FONT]

</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]242.2 / 226.7<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]214.8 / 198.7<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica].342"/.322" [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica](8.69/8.18 mm)<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]<TABLE borderColorDark=#999966 width="100%" borderColorLight=#cccc99 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Stage 1<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]256<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]249.4<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]217.0<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica].346" (8.79 mm)<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Stage 2<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]264<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]257.4<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]224.8<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica].375" (9.52 mm)<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Stage 2.5<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]268<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]261.4<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]227.9<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica].375" (9.52 mm)<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Stage 3<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]272<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]265.4<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]232.1<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica].385" (9.78 mm)<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme-->

Your welcome

Thanks man!
FYI...

from http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123663797&page=2

From the twiggy GB, note the measurements are quoted at .003" lift not .050"

From integrals site:
<TABLE borderColorDark=#999966 width="100%" borderColorLight=#cccc99 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width="20%">[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Seat Duration (.014")<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Seat Duration + .003"<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica].050" Duration<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Gross Cam Lift<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]<TABLE borderColorDark=#999966 width="100%" borderColorLight=#cccc99 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Stock (intake / exhaust)<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
254 / 237<!--mstheme-->​
[/FONT]

</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]242.2 / 226.7<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]214.8 / 198.7<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica].342"/.322" [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica](8.69/8.18 mm)<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]<TABLE borderColorDark=#999966 width="100%" borderColorLight=#cccc99 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Stage 1<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]256<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]249.4<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]217.0<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica].346" (8.79 mm)<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Stage 2<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]264<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]257.4<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]224.8<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica].375" (9.52 mm)<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Stage 2.5<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]268<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]261.4<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]227.9<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica].375" (9.52 mm)<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Stage 3<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]272<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]265.4<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]232.1<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD><TD width="20%"><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Arial, Helvetica].385" (9.78 mm)<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme-->

Your welcome

Even the stage 1 integrals are more agressive than the twiggy's... IIRC the Integral 2.5's are the "turbo" cams, right?

you know whats sad......there are X amount of sets out there and the not a single ******* dyno record of these on the site.:mad:

If there is I'd like to know....lol

lots of talk no action to prove it right.

I've got a dyno posted, check the NA dyno thread. It wasnt just the twiggys but you'll get a good idea. It's my humble opinion that the twiggys are the heart of my gains.

Even the stage 1 integrals are more agressive than the twiggy's... IIRC the Integral 2.5's are the "turbo" cams, right?

Ummm, did you compare the numbers in the post above? To me it looks like the Twiggy intake is a stage 1.5 on the integral scale and the twiggy exhaust is about a 2.5 on the integral scale. Trust me the twiggies are an aggressive set of cams

Last edited:
Back