Turn off APB?

:
CX-30 S white
Greetings from Houston. My CX-30 is 4 weeks old yesterday. I really like it a lot except I HATE the APB. I don't follow the exact order Mazda demands so I have to turn it off every time. How can you turn it off? I don't care about the supposed safety factor. I live in pancake flat Houston. I don't need a parking brake. Until Mazda reprograms it properly and corrects the poor engineering I just want to shut it off. Anyone know how? Thanks.

Welcome and thanks for joining up, congrats on the CX-30. Looks like a similar topic was discussed here if you haven't read it yet...

Based on what I've read, there isn't an option to disable the Automatic / Electronic parking brake yet...Perhaps there will be someday...If someone has updated info on this, please let us know...Also, feel free to search the entire site for related topics, the Community here is great and very knowledgable!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the link. I did a search but didn't find it. I'm afraid it is probably hopeless. One of the few flaws in an otherwise great car. Very disappointing.

Upvote 0
Not an issue with me as I have always set my parking break, either by hand, foot, or electronically. I've always done this so the automatic transmission does not bear the weight of the car, whether or not I'm on level ground. Just second nature to hit the button to disengage right before I take it out of park.

Upvote 0
I'm gradually getting used to it. I just don't appreciate being forced to follow one set procedure when it should be completely my choice to make.

Upvote 0
This the one feature giving me buyer's remorse. I absolutely hate it. Others tell me I am making a big deal over nothing. I guess they will never have a co-worker or parking lot attendant moving their car around not wearing the seat belt.

Upvote 0
There is a section in the 2021 Manual on "Cancelling the parking brake automatic operation". I have followed both methods and they do not seem to work. Anyone else tried it? Here's text from the manual:

Cancelling the parking brake automatic operation

The parking brake automatic operation can be cancelled by doing any of the following after switching the ignition from ON to OFF.

Auto operation cancel method 1
  1. Switch the ignition ON.
  2. Turn off the AUTOHOLD.
  3. Press the EPB switch continuously for 2 seconds or longer (until a sound is activated).
  4. Release the EPB switch and switch the ignition OFF within 5 seconds after the sound was activated.
    After the auto operation is cancelled, a sound is activated one time, and the EPB switch indicator light switches from illumination to flashing, and then turns off after 3 seconds.
Auto operation cancel method 2
  1. Switch the ignition ON.
  2. Turn off the AUTOHOLD.
  3. Switch the ignition OFF with the EPB switch pressed.
    When the auto operation is cancelled, a sound is activated one time, and the EPB switch indicator light from normal flashing to faster flashing, and then turns off after 3 seconds.

Here's a link to the manual, just scroll down to the section mentioned above: https://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-30/cx-30_8hq1ee19i/contents/05050107.html

Upvote 0
Scroll down a little further for this statement: "When the ignition is switched ON, the parking brake auto operation is restored." Sounds like this procedure will cancel the APB for that time only and is restored the next time you start the car.

Upvote 0
I have to agree with your take on this. If my car did that, I'd be screaming at it. This would drive me nuts.
I wonder what would happen if you went under the car and pulled off the connector to the motor. Would it even know you did that?
This the one feature giving me buyer's remorse. I absolutely hate it. Others tell me I am making a big deal over nothing. I guess they will never have a co-worker or parking lot attendant moving their car around not wearing the seat belt.

Upvote 0
Can someone explain, in simple terms, what the issue is with the EPB? I usually don't use the parking brake. I'm not sure what the discussion is here? Are you sayin the parking brake comes on every time you park the car? Again, I just get in my car and drive away so I must be missing what this hated feature is?

Upvote 0
Hated by some, but not by all (me included). The EPB does automatically engage when the car is parked and automatically disengages when in drive and accelerator is pressed. Could be why you don't notice it.

Upvote 0
Hated by some, but not by all (me included). The EPB does automatically engage when the car is parked and automatically disengages when in drive and accelerator is pressed. Could be why you don't notice it.
Got it. But if it's that seamless, what's the issue/concern? What am I missing as to why people want it disabled?

Upvote 0
What if you need to service the rear brake pads...the parking brakes must be disengaged first...can you turn off the automatic parking brake?

Upvote 0
Got it. But if it's that seamless, what's the issue/concern? What am I missing as to why people want it disabled?
It's not completely seamless as there is some resistance before the APB disengages where the car seems to squat a bit before this happens.

Some feel this is an invasion of their right to choose.

Upvote 0
What if you need to service the rear brake pads...the parking brakes must be disengaged first...can you turn off the automatic parking brake?
Instructions on how to cancel is in the post from curiousgeorge on December 16.
There is a section in the 2021 Manual on "Cancelling the parking brake automatic operation". I have followed both methods and they do not seem to work. Anyone else tried it? Here's text from the manual:

Here's a link to the manual, just scroll down to the section mentioned above: https://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-30/cx-30_8hq1ee19i/contents/05050107.html

Upvote 0
Back