Transmission hesitation (?)

Wow this is unreal...we got the car back from Mazda this afternoon and my wife took it out on the freeway...no studder or anything...AWESOME it's fixed right? Wrong...tonight my wife just told me its doing it again, but worse! What the heck? Looks like its going back to Mazda on Monday! They swore up and down that it was the throttle body. The service advisor even told us this morning they back up their claim all the way...well now is their chance! Could it be the torque converter or some sort of sensor? Im running out of ideas...anyone?

6/15/10: Update - Found out the new throttle body was never programmed into the ECU which was why, according to the dealer, it would keep studdering...So far, the problems fixed. We will know for sure tomorrow when my wife takes it to work...

Hello AZCX9! I was wondering if your problem completely resolved after replacing the throttle body and programming it into the ECU.
I think I am having similar problem. It happens almost at all gears. When I push the gas after releasing it for a while, the car does not respond smoothly, it shudders with a bang (the "trailer hitching sensation!"). Just wanted to know this was what you were experiencing and the faulty Throttle Body was causing it....Thanks!

Also, if the throttle body is not the issue try replacing your spark plugs. You can do this first before replcing throttle body if you wish. I know of at tleast 2 to 4 people that had similar syptoms on their CX-9 and replacing the spark plugs fixed the problem.

Hello AZCX9! I was wondering if your problem completely resolved after replacing the throttle body and programming it into the ECU.
I think I am having similar problem. It happens almost at all gears. When I push the gas after releasing it for a while, the car does not respond smoothly, it shudders with a bang (the "trailer hitching sensation!"). Just wanted to know this was what you were experiencing and the faulty Throttle Body was causing it....Thanks!

Shudders with a bang? Wow, anything that goes "bang" probably wouldn't be the throttle body. Is yours AWD? I heard a noise like that while backing up my AWD Speed6...ended up being the rear diff.

We felt the shudders in 5th and 6th gears at around 60mph while slowly accelerating around someone on the freeway and going up a short hill. As soon as the throttle body was installed and married to the ECU, it hasn't happened again since. It was an expensive repair as it isn't covered under most extended warranties, so I would try changing the spark plugs first before going that route.

Back