took car to dealer for service, quick oil question

sleeperms6

:
2007 MS6, black Mica
So ive had my car for about a month now and ive put 3000mi on it. So far no problems with it, no smoke. I took it to my nearest Mazda dealer this morning to get service done, Oil change, air filter, cabin filter, brake inspection, etc. Anyway, on the way here I saw I the oil change sticker on the windshield that they used 5w/20 oil. I want to know if this oil will cause problems since most people use a thicker oil. I don't know why they chose this, I took it to Brown Mazda in Toledo OH. It is a combo of Mazda pontiac and Haundai. so far I haven't noticed any smoking on the drive back from the dealer which was all highway. I also paid 250.00, which seems way high and specially if they put the wrong oil in.

HAHAHAH
all I can do is laugh because of how badly they scammed you

your month old car doesn't NEED a new cabin filter... it doesn't NEED any stinking brake inspection... it doesn't NEED an air filter

but to top it off, they use the WRONG oil in your car and made you pay 250 bucks

that's a new low to unsuspecting customers dealers are pulling off!
is it me or every mazda/hyundai/kia combo dealer is a rip off?

damn, that is crazy $250 for an oil change, air filter, cabin filter and visual inspection of the brake pads. definitely take it back and get the right oil and then never go back there again!

Oil change anywhere else, $40 - use 5w 40 for now as well
Cabin filter is 15 bucks
air filter is 15 bucks
both you can do yourself

you got robbed, ask for an itemized list of costs

chalk this up as an expensive lesson of anything servuce related at a car dealer. Either do it yourself or ask around before letting them do anything. The 15k, 30k, 45k, 60k services tend to be a rip off too.

Im proud to say i work for an honest dealer. We dont have an obnoxious markup on parts, most fast selling parts are sold at list price (oil, air, cabin filters)

Your work order should have a list of all the prices of the individual parts used.

right... saying "expensive lesson" is just nonsense! there's plenty of good dealers out there that charge HONEST prices... they're all prices that everyone might not agree with, but thats because dealers use higher quality parts and do more than what most independent shops do!

the guy just got unlucky and went to a bad dealer

right... saying "expensive lesson" is just nonsense! there's plenty of good dealers out there that charge HONEST prices... they're all prices that everyone might not agree with, but thats because dealers use higher quality parts and do more than what most independent shops do!

the guy just got unlucky and went to a bad dealer

What's "nonsense" about it? The lesson is make sure you aren't getting screwed and it cost him 250 bucks.

I will say this however in defense of the dealer.

We dont know the year, or how many miles are on the car, so in reality it could have needed a new cabin and air filter

On the flip side, that work should have been done when the car was at the dealer as a PDI. which means its inspected by a technician, who (if the car was sold as a certified used car) has to sell a new air filter, and ensure the tires are up to spec.

Regardless a good service department will approve a oil change, as well as air and cabin filter replacement depending on the amount of miles on a car.

Did you at least keep your old cabin and air filter. I always take my parts back when I go to the dealer, this way I am 100% sure they replaced them. Not that I go to dealers anymore. Anyways, they probably didn't even change those parts. Worst thing is that there is no way of checking, because a one month old car air and cabin filter look just as new as one brand spanking new and out of the box.

From the thread that he has where he interduced him self.
He said that he has 07 Mazdaspeed 6.

I agare $250 is way too much.
The brake inspection there is no need to pay for them to just look at the thickness of the pads. I do that myself.

Don't worry I learned the hard way also not tell them to do whats need for the 3K service.
I took my sisters 3 in for and told them the 7k service. That's oil change, Rotate tires, And check fluids and thought that was it.
But they give a list of stuff they checked.
All stuff that does not even need checked when the car only has 7,000 miles on it.
That was $250

So now I tell them exactly what I want done when it goes in.
Plus I now rotate the tires, check fluids, Brakes myself.
Also it's just oil and tires i'll do myself now.

Did you at least keep your old cabin and air filter. I always take my parts back when I go to the dealer, this way I am 100% sure they replaced them. Not that I go to dealers anymore. Anyways, they probably didn't even change those parts. Worst thing is that there is no way of checking, because a one month old car air and cabin filter look just as new as one brand spanking new and out of the box.

A used air filter, regardless of the time will not look like a brand new one. A dealership relies on customer retention to make money, Not to mention about 80% of the money a dealership makes is in service in parts. It wouldnt be wise to screw that up with something as stupid as not replacing a air filter. That would have to be one shady dealership, w/ not only the parts guys, but service and the technicians would know about it as well. No legitimate business would do that.

My car has 21k bought it with 18200. Well I usually do minor maintenance my self but I wanted to take it to mazda so they could put it to spec but I'm definately not doing service there again. It pisses me off that they put the wrong oil in. I'm gonna take it back tomorrow.

dont let them tell you that it doesn't make a difference either. A dealer I went to tried that one and I have yet to be back.

Perspective- For the 30K service on my regular mazda 6 auto:
change oil and filter
new air filter
flush trans fluid (12 qts used @ ~$6 each)
replace fuel filter/pump (one unit which is in fuel tank, accessed by taking out bottom of rear seat)
rotate tires
alignment
change power steering fluid
in cabin air filter

and a lot of other checks like battery, top off coolant, brakes etc... for $500 with a loaner car (which is rare these days)

You put 3K miles on in 1 month :D. Sucks that they put that oil in. Dealers always charge out the ass for any routine work. My first / last oil change at the dealer was over 100 bucks for non synthetic. Might CEL was on too and my car was brand new so I had them check it out. They had to put it on some "special" machine to scan the code that costed me over 60 bucks. All that to tell me there was some dirt in the gas cap. What a rip off. I learned the hard way.

I saw that 5w/20 oil sticker on my car too and quickly asked. They said they go by what's on the oil cap, but the sticker doesn't always match what was put in the car. You might call and ask and save yourself a trip. Now I bring in my own oil (synthetic) and watch them put it in. Saves a lot of money. I would do it myself, but if something seriously goes wrong with the engine, I would have oil change receipts from the dealer to back me up. GL.

you said:
chalk this up as an expensive lesson of anything servuce related at a car dealer.
<snip>
that's nonsense!

What's "nonsense" about it? The lesson is make sure you aren't getting screwed and it cost him 250 bucks.

what you implied in your original post was that ALL car dealers are crooks, which is NOT true... there's plenty of honest dealers around that charge honest prices... he just happened to step foot on a crooked dealer, that's all

Back