Tire recommendations needed for 2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD
Hello all,

Long time since I've posted here. I hope all of you and your families are doing well and staying healthy!

I am going in to my local Mazda dealer for my 30,000 mile service with my 2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring All Wheel Drive. Due to the pandemic, I'm quite a bit overdo for service (34,000 miles give or take), and am also overdo for tires. The stock Toyo A23s (225/55R19), after being past due for the last 5,000 miles or so, have finally run their course. One of my tires refuses to hold air pressure any longer (filled it up to 36PSI, a day later it went down to 24PSI), and yeah, it's time.

I live in central NJ, and unfortunately there are no Discount Tire locations in this area. Due to not wanting to go to multiple places at this time, I'm considering just having the dealership do it, as they have a Tire Center with a few options other than the stock tires.

Here is what I'm looking for: I really liked how the stock tires handled on dry road, but found them very lacking when it came to wet conditions. The noise is pretty bad, so I would like a quieter tire, and also, the lifespan of the stock tire is awful. I have never had tires that went so quickly. So I'm basically looking for the best option out of these choices (as per the dealer's website, which is running a sale on some brands where if you buy three, you get the fourth free):

Prices listed are for 4 tires installed, minus taxes:

1. Toyo A23 (stock) - $625.66
2. Toyo A36 - $625.66
3. Yokohama Geolandar G055 - $614.96
4. Goodyear Assurance MaxLife - $793.45
5. Michelin Premier LTX - $1141.12 (not part of the 4th tire free promotion)

So, I'm looking to retain the dry road handling/performance of the stock tire, but quieter, with better wet/cold road handling conditions, and something that will last beyond 34,000 miles.

Any and all help would be very appreciated, as my appointment is Wednesday morning and I need to have an idea by then. Thank you so much!

I went with the Michelin Premier LTX on my previous CX-5 when the Toyo's wore out. I absolutely loved them and would consider them again on my current CX 5 as they had the best combination of features that I was looking for. I bought mine at COSTCO and waited until they had a rebate, which comes up several times a year. Some have said that these Michelins wear out a bit faster than other brands but I certainly didn't experience this issue. They have a 100,000km(60,000 mile) warranty which is excellent IMO, and a lot more than I got out of my Toyo's. I found them to ride smoothly and quietly. Their sidewall may not be quite as stiff as the OEM Toyo's but that is why CX-5's corner so well when new. To get those higher miles out of tires which some want, you have to give up some preferred tire performance dynamic such as smooth ride, quiet ride, grip or tread wear, etc. There is always a trade off.

Hello all,

Long time since I've posted here. I hope all of you and your families are doing well and staying healthy!

I am going in to my local Mazda dealer for my 30,000 mile service with my 2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring All Wheel Drive. Due to the pandemic, I'm quite a bit overdo for service (34,000 miles give or take), and am also overdo for tires. The stock Toyo A23s (225/55R19), after being past due for the last 5,000 miles or so, have finally run their course. One of my tires refuses to hold air pressure any longer (filled it up to 36PSI, a day later it went down to 24PSI), and yeah, it's time.

I live in central NJ, and unfortunately there are no Discount Tire locations in this area. Due to not wanting to go to multiple places at this time, I'm considering just having the dealership do it, as they have a Tire Center with a few options other than the stock tires.

Here is what I'm looking for: I really liked how the stock tires handled on dry road, but found them very lacking when it came to wet conditions. The noise is pretty bad, so I would like a quieter tire, and also, the lifespan of the stock tire is awful. I have never had tires that went so quickly. So I'm basically looking for the best option out of these choices (as per the dealer's website, which is running a sale on some brands where if you buy three, you get the fourth free):

Prices listed are for 4 tires installed, minus taxes:

1. Toyo A23 (stock) - $625.66
2. Toyo A36 - $625.66
3. Yokohama Geolandar G055 - $614.96
4. Goodyear Assurance MaxLife - $793.45
5. Michelin Premier LTX - $1141.12 (not part of the 4th tire free promotion)

So, I'm looking to retain the dry road handling/performance of the stock tire, but quieter, with better wet/cold road handling conditions, and something that will last beyond 34,000 miles.

Any and all help would be very appreciated, as my appointment is Wednesday morning and I need to have an idea by then. Thank you so much!
Unfortunately you don’t have Discount Tire Store nearby. Any Costco’s?

Out of 5 tires you’ve listed, the only tire you should get is Michelin Premier LTX. But the price you’ve to pay to your Mazda dealer is too high. Never go to a car dealer for new set of tires. Get tires from online stores such as the Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct and they’ll recommend a local tire store to ship your new tires there for installation. You not only have more choices for better tires, but also pay hundreds $$$ less than a car dealer.

For 225/55R19 tire, many here like Continental CrossContact LX25 and General AltiMAX RT43. Both rated number 1 on Tire Rack's Tire Ratings Charts for size 225/55R19 in different categories, and both are better choice on performance and cost for size 225/55R19 IMO.

Other than it has the most expensive price for 225/55R19 tire size, the tread depth on Michelin Premier LTX is only 8.5/32" instead of 10/32” or 11/32” on all other new tires. That’s why LTX has been criticized as short tread life.

You can go online tire stores comparing the final price, and see how much you can save than your Mazda dealer, then make a decision between online tire store and car dealer.

225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

Tire Rack 225/55R19 Tire Ratings Charts

Last edited:
Unfortunately you don’t have Discount Tire Store nearby. Any Costco’s?

Out of 5 tires you’ve listed, the only tire you should get is Michelin Premier LTX. But the price you’ve to pay to your Mazda dealer is too high. Never go to a car dealer for new set of tires. Get tires from online stores such as the Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct and they’ll recommend a local tire store to ship your new tires there for installation. You not only have more choices for better tires, but also pay hundreds $$$ less than a car dealer.

For 225/55R19 tire, many here like Continental CrossContact LX25 and General AltiMAX RT43. Both rated number 1 on Tire Rack's Tire Ratings Charts for size 225/55R19 in different categories, and both are better choice on performance and cost for size 225/55R19 IMO.

Other than it has the most expensive price for 225/55R19 tire size, the tread depth on Michelin Premier LTX is only 8.5/32" instead of 10/32” or 11/32” on all other new tires. That’s why LTX has been criticized as short tread life.

You can go online tire stores comparing the final price, and see how much you can save than your Mazda dealer, then make a decision between online tire store and car dealer.

225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

Tire Rack 225/55R19 Tire Ratings Charts

Thank you so much for your help (and everyone else!)

After going through the options, I've keyed in on the Continentals. I do believe in spending more for quality tires, plus I'm really looking to retain as much as the dry handling characteristics from stock as possible.

Would you happen to know what the differences are between the Cross Contact LX25s, and the True Contact Tours? Both are around the same price, but the True Contact Tour has a rebate by mail while the LX25s do not.

After going through the options, I've keyed in on the Continentals. I do believe in spending more for quality tires, plus I'm really looking to retain as much as the dry handling characteristics from stock as possible.

Would you happen to know what the differences are between the Cross Contact LX25s, and the True Contact Tours? Both are around the same price, but the True Contact Tour has a rebate by mail while the LX25s do not.

I’ve got 19” True Contacts on my CX-5 and my wife had 17 inchers on her RAV4.

The 17” ones wore to 4/32nds in 40k miles. Returned to Discount Tire for proration credit and replaced with LX25’s. 19” set is at 13k miles with 8 or 9/32nds left.

They ride and handle great! Wet, dry, snow or ice traction is excellent. While they clearly don’t make the 90k mile warranty, as long as you get credit, who cares?

The LX-25 are off to a good start. The wife loves them, but she loves most new tires. The tread looks nice and deep, and they should perform slightly better than the TC’s. They have a 70k mileage rating.

Love the D-W-S markings scored into the tread to indicate suitable depths for various road conditions. In Colorado, when the S is gone, time for a new set before the S is here.

Continental TrueContact Tour 225/55R19 99H is a standard touring all-season tire with UTQG “800 A A” and 6-year / 80K-mile warranty.

Continental CrossContact LX25 225/55R19 99V is a crossover/SUV touring all-season tire with UTQG “740 A A” and 6-year / 70K-mile warranty.

Between the 2, LX25 has the advantage of V rated and better reviews on Tire Rack and I’d choose LX25.

BTW. the manufacture $70 Visa cash card rebate on both Continental tires has just expired on Aug. 31, 2020. The current $70 rebate is for a different Continental Control Contact tire which doesn’t have the 225/55R19 size.

Continental TrueContact Tour 225/55R19 99H is a standard touring all-season tire with UTQG “800 A A” and 6-year / 80K-mile warranty.

Continental CrossContact LX25 225/55R19 99V is a crossover/SUV touring all-season tire with UTQG “740 A A” and 6-year / 70K-mile warranty.

Between the 2, LX25 has the advantage of V rated and better reviews on Tire Rack and I’d choose LX25.

BTW. the manufacture $70 Visa cash card rebate on both Continental tires has just expired on Aug. 31, 2020. The current $70 rebate is for a different Continental Control Contact tire which doesn’t have the 225/55R19 size.

Awesome, I think I've settled in on the LX25s. Again, thank you so much!

Just waiting for a deal right now, until then my car gets parked in the driveway. One tire this morning (before I took it in for my 30K service at the dealer) was at 6 PSI, and I'm noticing I can peel the rubber off that one in a few places.

The dealer had just called me also and told me I needed new rear brake pads, but I remember seeing something about a TSB for premature pad wear on the 2016 CX5, so I need to hunt down something to print for them when I head over there in a bit. One thing at a time though!

EDIT: Just checked what I could find is the latest TSB for that issue, and my VIN falls outside of the affected vehicles. Pity. I wonder if rear brake replacements at 33,000K is normal

Last edited:
Awesome, I think I've settled in on the LX25s. Again, thank you so much!

Just waiting for a deal right now, until then my car gets parked in the driveway. One tire this morning (before I took it in for my 30K service at the dealer) was at 6 PSI, and I'm noticing I can peel the rubber off that one in a few places.

The dealer had just called me also and told me I needed new rear brake pads, but I remember seeing something about a TSB for premature pad wear on the 2016 CX5, so I need to hunt down something to print for them when I head over there in a bit. One thing at a time though!

EDIT: Just checked what I could find is the latest TSB for that issue, and my VIN falls outside of the affected vehicles. Pity. I wonder if rear brake replacements at 33,000K is normal
Yes if your rear disk pads wore out prematurely or unevenly, it’s still possible you have issues on rear disk brake calipers. The EPB dragging issue usually happens on 2016 CX-5, but you should still print the whole TSB which shows all possible symptoms, and more importantly the date code on rear disk brake calipers. All of these are explained clearly in the TSB.

And if your new-car warranty has expired, and most likely you do on your 2016.5 CX-5, a TSB won’t help you to get free repair for the problem as it’s not a safety recall.

Yes if your rear disk pads wore out prematurely or unevenly, it’s still possible you have issues on rear disk brake calipers. The EPB dragging issue usually happens on 2016 CX-5, but you should still print the whole TSB which shows all possible symptoms, and more importantly the date code on rear disk brake calipers. All of these are explained clearly in the TSB.

And if your new-car warranty has expired, and most likely you do on your 2016.5 CX-5, a TSB won’t help you to get free repair for the problem as it’s not a safety recall.

Yeah, I had printed it out and showed it to my service advisor. Wasn’t really interested in taking a look at it and told me there wasn’t a problem, just wear. Rear pads and rotors, at a cost of $490.00 for them to do it. When I get my tires, I’ll have the installer take a look and give me a quote.

I also apparently need a new battery at $175, and a cabin air filter at $99. I replaced my cabin filter about 5000 miles ago, so I know I can do that myself cheap. Just these other prices seem extraordinarily high for battery and breaks

Yeah, I had printed it out and showed it to my service advisor. Wasn’t really interested in taking a look at it and told me there wasn’t a problem, just wear. Rear pads and rotors, at a cost of $490.00 for them to do it. When I get my tires, I’ll have the installer take a look and give me a quote.

I also apparently need a new battery at $175, and a cabin air filter at $99. I replaced my cabin filter about 5000 miles ago, so I know I can do that myself cheap. Just these other prices seem extraordinarily high for battery and breaks
In my area Brake Plus is a good national-chained brake shop. I’d remind anyone who is going to do the rear brake job about getting the EPB into the Maintenance Mode, and don’t turn the piston of the caliper while pushing it.

Maintenance Mode for 2016 / 2017 CX-5 electronic brakes

If you have a Costco nearby, plenty of people get Group 35 Interstate battery from Costco for good price ($79?). But you have to install it by yourself.

Update: I was able to get Discount Tire to price match and beat WalMart of all places.
DT Price: $195/ea
WM Price: $170.99
DT new Price: $168.00

Ordered 4 with certificates, should ship tomorrow!
Thank you all for everyone’s help!

Update: I was able to get Discount Tire to price match and beat WalMart of all places.
DT Price: $195/ea
WM Price: $170.99
DT new Price: $168.00

Ordered 4 with certificates, should ship tomorrow!
Thank you all for everyone’s help!
I thought you don’t have Discount Tire Store nearby? Yes DTS is a great place to get tires, And yes they do price match too. But $168 for a 225/55R19 99V Continental CrossContact LX25? That’s an unbelievable price!

I thought you don’t have Discount Tire Store nearby? Yes DTS is a great place to get tires, And yes they do price match too. But $168 for a 225/55R19 99V Continental CrossContact LX25? That’s an unbelievable price!

My apologies, I don’t have a Discount Tire location near me, I ordered from Discount Tire Direct, to be shipped to me to take to an installer. Sorry for the confusion!

My apologies, I don’t have a Discount Tire location near me, I ordered from Discount Tire Direct, to be shipped to me to take to an installer. Sorry for the confusion!
Never knew you can negotiate the price to an online seller via internet ⋯ ;)

With respect to the standout features of the CX-5, the handling, is one that sold the car for me. The tradeoff is an increase in road noise. Can anyone give me a rough idea of what kind of tire that would be quieter than the stock without sacrificing too much of the handling? (Yeah, I know, I want it both ways.)
Thanks in advance

Start here: https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/tire_decision_guide.html

After a couple of pages you'll get to the Decision Guide where you indicate how important each of six attributes is to you. This gives you a great starting point for picking tires that will do a good job for what you want. There are a few brands that TireRack doesn't sell, and these won't be listed, but otherwise it works very well.
1691172266706.png

With respect to the standout features of the CX-5, the handling, is one that sold the car for me. The tradeoff is an increase in road noise. Can anyone give me a rough idea of what kind of tire that would be quieter than the stock without sacrificing too much of the handling? (Yeah, I know, I want it both ways.)
Thanks in advance
continental lx25 or the pirelli scorpion 3 plus are the top choices that Tirerack will recommend, at least for 19"

Discount tire currently has a nice discount on the Pirellis.

Thanks in advance
See post #5 above.

Honestly any tire discussed would be quieter and better performed than the stock Toyo A23 / A36’s. Even my cheap $80 a piece (2019 price) Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V tire is quieter and performs better than the stock.

Back