Timing cover removal

Baxter0

I just replaced my valve cover gasket and I'm worried about oil leaking past through where the cams are. There is an oily mess everywhere from the leaky gasket before, but the timing belt looked good and didn't have any oil on it. I just want to be able to look in there and make sure the problem is fixed.
Is it possible to remove the upper timing cover without first taking off the valve cover?
Looks like it will come off by removing the four bolts and moving it sideways. But no one ever mentions doing this and I'm wondering if there's something that prevents you.

Edit: It's an '02, sorry.

Last edited:
I did a Timing belt change on my P5 (2 L engine) and a lot of stuff has to come off to get to the cover and its bolts.

You may however be able to reach some of the accessible bolts (or screws,.. I forget) to be able to bend the cover enough to see in there.

Did you apply RTV silicone to the gasket where you're supposed to ??

If you didn't apply silicone you should remove the valve cover and put some in there.

Yes, I used the rtv but I didn't do the best job with that part. Ended up just smearing a bit on and moved it around with my finger. It was a mess to work with. I also didn't wait 24 hours before I drove it around. I only waited an hour and torqued all the bolts.

You should probably be good.

But if you can't see in there it's hard to see a leak.

There's not much oil preasure up there. It just sort of splashes around.

But apparently if your T-belt is "contaminated", you're supposed to replace it.

Back