Thump/Jerking when shifting into reverse

:
Toronto
:
2022 CX-5 GT
Hi,

My 2022 CX-5 NA makes a thumping noise when I shift into reverse alongside a noticeable jerk (my foot fully on the brake + handbrake on). It tends to do it more when the engine is cold. Has anyone had this issue? It seems like it recently started.

Park on a hill? Maybe tension on the park gear?

Park on a hill? Maybe tension on the park gear?
Never parked on a hill, not even once. It seems like there is tension, but it doesn't make sense why. Parked on a flat road, foot fully on brake but it definitely feels like there is tension.

I think that is normal because you have full brake on and you apply instant torque to the driveline when you shift into reverse. Ed

Hi,

My 2022 CX-5 NA makes a thumping noise when I shift into reverse alongside a noticeable jerk (my foot fully on the brake + handbrake on). It tends to do it more when the engine is cold. Has anyone had this issue? It seems like it recently started.

This sounds like the exact same thing that happens when my wife parks the car on an incline and doesn't engage the EPB. Slightly harder to put into gear, and when it goes into gear, there's a thud and a jerk. I know for me its just tension on the park brake as @HyFlyer mentioned. But for this to be happening to you while your car isn't on an incline and parking brake on, it sounds like there may be an issue with the transmission possibly? Maybe an electronic glitch tied to shifting?

I'd book an appt with the dealer. Try to record what's happening on video so that you have something to show them in case the car doesn't exhibit the issue at the dealership. I would also try disconnecting the battery for like 20 mins, just to see if an electronic reset does anything.

EDIT: Do you have the same thump and jerk if you shift from D to R? Or from N to R?

Cold engine right after starting is higher RPM so will cause a jerk when put in gear. That's been a normal occurrence for as long as I can remember on any car with an automatic transmission. Just a matter of degree. If it seems excessive you could have it checked out. It shouldn't slam into gear.

^ This.

Does it happen every time?

If it only happens when the front wheels are butted up against a parking block that'll do it in which case don't do that. You said when parked "on a road" so I suppose not.

Does it happen when not using the parking brake? If it only happens with the parking brake on then take it back to the dealer and demonstrate the problem on a flat surface. If it happens every time, parking brake or not, demonstrate that problem.

Thanks for the replies. I’ll book an appointment with the dealer and update this thread.

The wheels aren’t butted up against parking blocks, and it happens when the engine is warm as well.

Hi,

I definitely will take the CX-5 in if I were you at the very least making a record in Mazda’s system. The key is the “behavior change” as you feel it’s just recently started. There’re several TSBs for this transmission jerking issue just search the forum.

I definitely will take the CX-5 in if I were you at the very least making a record in Mazda’s system. The key is the “behavior change” as you feel it’s just recently started. There’re several TSBs for this transmission jerking issue just search the forum.
I'm bringing it to the dealership tomorrow morning. I hope they will be able to replicate the issue. Today I checked a bunch of times and although sometimes it's less noticeable it's definitely there.

Edit: Dropped the car this morning. The tech was able to reproduce the problem so that’s good news. They are also going to check Mazda Connect because my app doesn’t communicate with the car anymore. They don’t know how long it’s going to take yet, I’m just hoping it’ll be done within the day but seems unlikely.

Last edited:
Well… they are replacing the transmission. 6 months/11000 kilometers. Won’t tell me why, but the service advisor is really kind so it’s helping.

Well… they are replacing the transmission. 6 months/11000 kilometers. Won’t tell me why, but the service advisor is really kind so it’s helping.
Luck of the draw. They probably don't know what's wrong, just that something is wrong.
Better now than 6 years down the road when the powertrain warranty has expired.
Hopefully you get a nice loaner because who knows how long a tranny will take to arrive.

Luck of the draw. They probably don't know what's wrong, just that something is wrong.
Better now than 6 years down the road when the powertrain warranty has expired.
Hopefully you get a nice loaner because who knows how long a tranny will take to arrive.
Exactly, they know something is wrong in there; they don't know what.
And yeah, luck of the draw. They said it might take 2-3 weeks if I am lucky and up to two months if I am not.
I hope I’ll get a nice loaner too. The gentleman at the dealership is trying to get one for me, but it seems like the rental places nearby are fully booked. They need to get a car for me, hopefully it’ll be done soon. I’ll contact them tomorrow morning to see.

Last edited:
I called them again today asking for an update on the loaner. They had said yesterday that they would find me a rental until the transmission gets replaced. Apparently Mazda said there is no danger driving the car like that -- so they gave me my car back. I'll bring it in for the repairs once the transmission arrives.

I called them again today asking for an update on the loaner. They had said yesterday that they would find me a rental until the transmission gets replaced. Apparently Mazda said there is no danger driving the car like that -- so they gave me my car back. I'll bring it in for the repairs once the transmission arrives.
It's probably OK to drive. However, at the first sign of any gear slippage use your free towing that came with the vehicle and get it back to the dealer and press for that loaner. It might slip once in reverse, for example, then appear fine after going to park and back to reverse. If that happens it likely won't be long before the vehicle is undriveable.

It's probably OK to drive. However, at the first sign of any gear slippage use your free towing that came with the vehicle and get it back to the dealer and press for that loaner. It might slip once in reverse, for example, then appear fine after going to park and back to reverse. If that happens it likely won't be long before the vehicle is undriveable.
If it slips even once, it's getting towed back to the dealership as you said. I do at least 60 kilometers per day, most of it is on the highway and I have to back into parking spots at least 3 times a day. Although annoying, I can deal with the thump and the motion; but not much more.

Mazda needs to run roughshod over their suppliers. There seems to be too many transmission problems for too many years.

It's definitely a good news although we really don't want any major problems like this from an almost new car. Your Mazda dealer is nice and didn't give you a hard time to replace your transmission. However, they're short of loaner cars available for such issues. Usually people get a loaner car even for several months if the replacement transmission or engine isn't readily available.

It's definitely a good news although we really don't want any major problems like this from an almost new car. Your Mazda dealer is nice and didn't give you a hard time to replace your transmission. However, they're short of loaner cars available for such issues. Usually people get a loaner car even for several months if the replacement transmission or engine isn't readily available.

These are unusual times, after all.

Back