Sounds crazy, but anyone have this issue? Seat moves itself...

:
Virginia
:
2021 CX-5 White
2014 CX-5 GT with Tech

My 5'2" wife swears this has happened to her twice on consecutive days...I cannot figure it out.
She got in the car yesterday, and she was surprised that the seat was so far back, but she thought maybe she did drive it that way, even though it seemed uncomfortably far away from the wheel. She moved the seat forward.

Today I come home and she said she got in the car, and the seat was so far back, she thought someone 6' or taller could have driven it.

I swore I did not get in the car either day. In fact, I have only ever driven this car in and out of the garage to wash it...only ridden as a passenger otherwise during her acceptance test on sale and afterwards (I did test drive another one at a dealer). I take pains to drive in her position so I don't "screw up the seat settings" (but I do mess up the rear view mirror, although I suppose I could even leave that alone with the backup cam)

Anyone have the seat moves backwards by itself syndrome? Never in the morning, but only in the afternoon (no jokes about a boyfriend please).

Do a search. This has been covered a number of times. Not trying to be rude, you'll just get a lot more answers much more quickly this way.

This has been discussed before, though I would be hard-pressed to tell you exactly where on the forum. Apparently there is some movement that occurs fore/aft and up/down in the power seat. Not sure that anyone has found a cause for it or has been concerned enuf to take it back to have it checked. Mine does it a little too; I've just learned to live with it. Strange, but true!

I hear that lots of weird things happen in Virginia; lots of paranormal activities and such. Maybe the car is possessed by a polterdice.

I've had some strange electrics happening too.

Random speed of wiper than one selected (swipe long pause, swipe, swipe, short pause, swipe, long pause)

Key fob lock press, lights then signal, but doors don't lock.

Possession?

You are right of course. Thanks for the admonishment. I will do that next time.
Do a search. This has been covered a number of times. Not trying to be rude, you'll just get a lot more answers much more quickly this way.

It does seem inconclusive, but I have told my wife to watch out as she gets out of the car to see if her leg somehow activates things. She did say not only does the seat move back, the seat back was also reclined.

This has been discussed before, though I would be hard-pressed to tell you exactly where on the forum. Apparently there is some movement that occurs fore/aft and up/down in the power seat. Not sure that anyone has found a cause for it or has been concerned enuf to take it back to have it checked. Mine does it a little too; I've just learned to live with it. Strange, but true!

Does the GT have memory seats? If so, is she opening it with a different remote?

Very simple....your upper left thigh hits the button.

Something similar has happened to me when I popped the hood up and when I was looking under the steering wheel. At fist, I barely heard this zooming sound. Didn't pay attention to it and when I hopped back in the car, the seat was very different.

My stepdaughter bought a Touring CX5 the same day I did, she regularly has this problem, hasn't had it checked out yet.

GT has no memory seat, just a power driver seat with more adjustability than the passenger seat. Remotes are not specific to settings like in other cars.

Does the GT have memory seats? If so, is she opening it with a different remote?

I caught my seatback reclining the other day. I was getting out of the car and for some reason I paused to look at my phone. When the weight of my left thigh was resting on the side bolster, the bolster was pushing the recline lever and causing the seat to recline. Since I pause longer than normal with my leg in the "sweet spot" it was very obviously reclined

I caught my seatback reclining the other day. I was getting out of the car and for some reason I paused to look at my phone. When the weight of my left thigh was resting on the side bolster, the bolster was pushing the recline lever and causing the seat to recline. Since I pause longer than normal with my leg in the "sweet spot" it was very obviously reclined

that is exactly how I found out also (taking picture with phone)....and here before that I swore it could not have been my leg touching it.

Hi,

I have always felt that the backrest of the driver seat slip back a bit everyday morning i had to adjust it back to my required position.

Today morning it was lying totally flat , virtually resting on the rear seats.

Had the 1000 Km service done today, the dealer insisted to leave the vehicle overnight to troubleshoot the driver seat issue ?

Any suggestions ?

When the weight of my left thigh was resting on the side bolster, the bolster was pushing the recline lever and causing the seat to recline. Since I pause longer than normal with my leg in the "sweet spot" it was very obviously reclined

Can you explain how it's possible for the side bolster to physically contact the seat controls? Because the seat controls are protected by a rigid molded piece and the upholstered bolster is not physically large enough to reach the seat controls.

I do have one possible explanation for phantom seat movement. I recently injured my back skiing (yes, even now there is enough snow in the mountains to ski). For a few weeks I had extremely limited mobility. The first time I figured I had healed enough to drive myself somewhere I noticed the seat moving as I exited. Turns out I was putting my palm on the side bolster by my thigh to help support my upper body weight as I prepared to stand. And my fingers were activating the electric seat controls. Maybe this explains some of the "phantom" seat movements?

Can you explain how it's possible for the side bolster to physically contact the seat controls? Because the seat controls are protected by a rigid molded piece and the upholstered bolster is not physically large enough to reach the seat controls.
This is absolutely true. I re-examined the issue, and there is no way that side bolster can physically contact the seat controls, even if crushed to the max and physically folded over.

I did work with my wife on how she gets out of the car, and I do believe it is the back of her left thigh pushing on the seat controls when she gets out. I have said she is short, 5'2", so it is a long step for her, and as a result her left leg is very close to the car as she steps out onto the pavement, and in certain positions, especially if she pauses to rearrange the handbag, or whatever, it is possible to move the seat. She is now trying to be very careful not to touch the controls when she exits, and so far, it has not happened again, except once, when she did not pay attention to how she got out, and she heard a sound (very soft sound) and looked at the seat, and saw the seat back moving, and the underside of her left thigh was causing the movement.

Last edited:
I had the leg on the recliner switch happen to me once too. I was changing into hiking boots so I was sitting sideways in the seat. When I was done I noticed the seat back was laying flat and my wife commented that she wondered why I was reclining it like that.

Back