So you want mudflaps on your Protege 5?

Flash5

Corners > Straight Lines
:
2002 Mazda P5
So you want to put mudflaps on your p5? Well, hopefully I can give you some insight into how EASY it is. I have had a few people ask me about mine over the past few months, so I figured I would throw this thread together to make it easier for all.

(attention)

Obviously if you are reading this you are interested in possibly throwing some flaps on your p5. Either that or you want to b*tch me out for trying to turn my car into a subie wannabe. Well no, I do not want that, we all know P5>Impreza wagons anyways. I just want to make the p5 a more respectable car in the tuning community, and this is my way of helping that become a reality.

First thing you need to know is that there are tons of places that you can find mudflaps for the P5 BUT there are really none that will fit the car the way it comes without modification.

Here are the only type of flaps specifically made for the protege BUT they only work without the stock side skirts, and lets face it, taking those off will be a bad choice:
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

So of course that means if there is no flaps made for the P5, you have to go the universal route. I know the world "universal" can scare a lot of people off when it comes to cars, but don't be scared, its quite simple. You can get your car to look like this:

1-3.jpg

Next step is to choose the mudflaps you want to work with. This can either be cheap and simple, or expensive and, well still simple haha. As you can see, I went with RallyArmor Urethane flaps. These are rather expensive all things considering, but I wanted to get them.

If you go the cheap, and honestly completely respectable route, RallyArmor has you covered there as well.

http://www.rallyarmor.com/store/universal-basic-mud-flap-p-274.html

Now what if you want to go the expensive RallyArmor route? Well you have options there as well. If you are like me and want to spend another $85(!?!?!?!) for some fancy lettering on the back, then you want to go with these:

http://www.rallyarmor.com/store/universal-urethane-rally-flap-red-logo-p-267.html

They have two other color options like this one, but these are the ones I bought.

Ok so by now you should know what kind you want. Here is the part all of you have been waiting for, how I mounted them. You are going to laugh at how easy this is. I apologize for the awful quality of the pics, I used my phone because I am lazy.

Fronts:
CIMG0108.jpg

Now all I did here was use three self-tapping screws and one stock pop-tab from the side skirt. You can see the pop-tab is black, it blends in a bit but you can make it out.

The best way to get them mounted is to hold the mud flap to the wheel well, mark where the screws are going to go, then take the flap and cut the holes before you mount them. This is much easier than trying to make holes in the flaps while trying to mount them at the same time. Obviously the stock pop-tab will go back in its place and you have freedom to go where ever with the self-tapping screws. They will go through the wheel well lines and be set. You can put as many self-tapping screws as you like, I originally had only two but added one to the upper left to be safe. At $25 a flap I take no chances!!

Rears:
stnjp01

This time I used two stock screws (brown) and three self-tapping screws. Same idea as the fronts when mocking them up and mounting. Another thing you want to make sure of is that they are level, you dont want them sagging to the left or right, because that will look goody. Also, be smart, make them a decent height off the ground, mine are basically as low as you want to go.

These flaps do have some weight to them so don't be cheap with the self-tapping screws. I am paranoid with these things, and even now I am not 100% satisfied with the amount of hardware I got holding them up. But they honestly aren't going anywhere.

Moment of Honesty: If RallyArmor would have had the $16 flaps when I was searching I would have bought them. Don't get me wrong, I love the ones I have, but I do not know if they are worth the extra $85. I would have gotten the cheap ones,and they went out and got 4 red mazda24/7 decals an put them on the bottom corners. Would have done the same thing and I would have saved prolly $75.

Well I hope this helps all you out there. If you have anymore questions just shoot me a PM.

ZoOm-ZoOm!

look nice but does you car ever see gravel? May want to put some washers to widen the load area on the screws or they may start cracking around the screw heads. Paint them black while there out.

All that aside, those are some badass mudflaps.

look nice but does you car ever see gravel? May want to put some washers to widen the load area on the screws or they may start cracking around the screw heads. Paint them black while there out.

All that aside, those are some badass mudflaps.

yea im prolly going to add some washers next time i change my oil. and i havent really noticed much activity where the flaps cover up in terms of spray and gravel, they actually do a decent job of knocking everything down.

Just got my flaps in the mail a few days ago :) I got the cheaper ones (for now) my dad made fun of me and called them folders x)

glad to hear you got them, they will go great with your car, put pics up once your got them on there!

They look awesome black/black. What color you guys with none black cars going to have them? Black still?

black is the safest for all colors, and some car colors can be tricky. i am assuming your car is yellow from your avatar. thats a tough color, black or gray would be the best bets, maybe white but that might be much. search on google and even rally sites to get a better idea of what might work.

The $16 universal flaps are no longer listed, I am guesing they are PVC and not polyurethane. Huge differewnce, the PVC ones are stiff and warp and the PU ones are super flexible and have some nice weight to them. I have the PU for my forester and am getting the PU uni for my P5 before the snow flies.

i would post up more pics but i think what i wrote in the first post should cover it

I got the polyurethane universal flaps and meant to post my how to and scan/post templates etc. but I got so excited to put them on I just did it.
I did use plastic panel clips instead of drilling/screwing. I just removed the stock attachments for fender liners, snapped on a plastic panel clip and used a big plastic washer (made with a 1 1/4" hole saw and a sheet of ABS) a 12x1 1/4" stainless steel button head screw.

Are those cheap 16 dollar ones stiff? Or do those flap around? Because I have a set of 4 that I got from Canadian tire that are stiff...and they're really low to the ground like flashes p5.
So whenever I hit a big bump or whatever they drag on the ground and make an annoying sound -_-

Back