So you want mudflaps on your Protege 5?

mine definitely drag but only at low speeds with more than 4 people in my car. once the car gets moving the air pushed them off of the ground (I am also lowered for the record). so basically 99% of the time i drive they are off the ground and do not cause any fuss. although this summer i plan on moving the ones in the back up about an inch or so to eliminate the problem completely.

the only other thing you really have to look out for if they are low is back up into something that can pinch them against the back tire like a driveway that has an elevated bump from the side walk or something like that. but again that only happened to me once when i first put them on and backed into a driveway a bit to fast. one of them got yanked out but thankfully no damage occurred to them or the car!

So back to my original question..:) Do these 16 dollar flaps move around freely? Or are they stiff plastic like the ones I have now?? :p

o sorry they will be hard since the website says they are just a blended plastic, the ones i have are a urethane and are flexible

yea i agree its pretty expensive, i just did it because i wanted to be different

Just ordered mine (universal basics), but not installing till my springs come in (hopefully later this week).

Anyway, in this video, they universal basics look flexible enough. I'm making a large assumption, but they'll be here on 6/23/11, so I'll post my thoughts once I see them.

Good call about waiting until you get your spring installed. If you put them on before your drop you might have to readjust them. As for them being flexible what I said above was misleading. They are flexible but not nearly as flexible as the urethane ones.

A good way to explain it is if you hold the blended plastic ones by the edge and turn it flat, it won't wilt much if at all. Do the same with the urethane ones and they will completely wilt over. Plus the urethane ones are about 50% wider but honestly I don't know if I would still pop for the urethane ones if the blended plastic ones were available when I was shopping.

the flaps look awesome bro! what size rims and tires u runnin on that? looks like an aggressive fit, rolled fenders?

thanks! they are 17x7 wheels with a 42+ offset, the tires are 205/17/45. my fenders are actually grinded down, rolling them didn't do the job so I had to basically erase them. its not that my fitment is aggressive as much as the offset is too low. i still rub on my passenger side but not for long...more grinding will be done soon enough!

You know, I've heard of a simple alternative to the expensive flaps for folks who dont mind a little trial and error.

Buy yourself a few plastic wastepaper bins. You know the kind: Rubbermaid, rectangular, they go under your desk at work. They cost less than $10 at walmart or an office supply store, come in a variety of colors and some have thicker plastic than others. Draw yourself out a template, transfer the shape to one side of the container, go to town with some tin snips or some heavy duty scissors.

I think if you got a large enough bin, you could probably get two or maybe even four flaps our of it.

Just throwing that idea in there. Cheap to try. :)

Yeah I have heard both of these ideas too. Im sure both would work perfectly fine for our cars too.

Bottom line...I got mine pre-cut with a rally armor logo for ~$20! Even if they did start out as place mats! LOL!

thanks! they are 17x7 wheels with a 42+ offset, the tires are 205/17/45. my fenders are actually grinded down, rolling them didn't do the job so I had to basically erase them. its not that my fitment is aggressive as much as the offset is too low. i still rub on my passenger side but not for long...more grinding will be done soon enough!

That's what's up dude! If I could get 17's to fit with next to no modifications I would lol

It sounds like 17's w/ a +35 offset would probably fit without much of an issue. I think I'm prolly gonna go with a +40 when I get mine.

I'm posting this picture everywhere...I'm just really excited.
2011-06-23_20-21-35_328.jpg

Last edited:
I also ordered a set of the universal basics and some stickers. Hopefully the stickers will line up with the logo. I'll post pictures when i get them installed.

Back