Skyactiv Transmission Fluid Analysis Thread

Here’s mine, sampled at around 113,000 miles.
FF525776-A9E8-4D6E-BBA5-F3F4AB53DB65.jpeg

Hello all!

The time is upon us. I have my UOA for my second series of drain and fills. I did 3 drain and fills at ~50k miles back in 2018 with Mazda FZ. Now I'm nearly at 100k miles, I did another 3 drain and fills. Please see the attached for the results on what came out this time.

I'm very happy with the results! I used Aisin ATF-MFZ this time around. If I still have the car at 150k miles, I may follow up with another UOA just to compare the Mazda FZ with Aisin's ATF-MFZ.

Attachments

• ruthrj ATF sample2.pdf
    61.9 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
I have 105,000 miles on m 2016 GT CX-5 never changes the transmission the car still shifts perfects like brand new

I had notated my service spreadsheet for ATF (and differential fluid) changes at 50,000 - 60,000 miles. I've amended it to a hard 50,000 based on this input. That will be at around the 7 year mark, 5 years from now, lol.

I have 105,000 miles on m 2016 GT CX-5 never changes the transmission the car still shifts perfects like brand new
There are stories of people waiting to change the ATF until well after 100k and having problems when the fresh ATF dissolves deposits from the old fluid.

I think that is why more people are changing earlier than necessary, sometimes as early as 30k.

I would plan on changing it ASAP. I did mine at 113K (see above), and with as dark as the fluid was that came out, I wish I would have done it around 60K-70K or so.

The so-called "lifetime" fluid really is a load of BS in my opinion, if you plan on keeping the car a long time.

I think the lifetime fluid is fine. That said, we all fantasize about making it to half a million miles, and changing fluid isnt bad, if done early and regularly. This is why I try to buy vehicles with drain and fill capable transmissions, and it was a selling point for my RDX.

One thing I have from that unless your do a routine filter and oil change varnish does build up and accumulate. This varnish does not always show up on the analysis. This varnish is sort of like someone that smokes all their life and claims no ill effect until they get lung cancer. The next time anyone does a pan drop wipe the servo or valve body area and I am sure you will see this varnish. Once it gets into solenoids, servo and other vale control areas it can cause unexpected problems. The way I look at all the analysis is the information on them is really pointing towards more fluid and filter changes? I also see that the filter of choice in the transmission unlike the engine has no effects no matter the brand or so-called quality. It's there to catch big material which really should not be breaking off in the transmission in the first place.

Just my thoughts.

On the CX-5 facebook group, I remember someone posting a CX-5 with 250k or 300k miles (I forget what exactly, but was high up there) and they mentioned regularly drain/fill services for the transmission fluid.

I'm a little overdo for my next service. I did it at 70k and am at 110.5k now. It's been too snowy and wet for me to really do anything lately. May see if I can just rent a lift somewhere lol (few places around here for that).

On the CX-5 facebook group, I remember someone posting a CX-5 with 250k or 300k miles (I forget what exactly, but was high up there) and they mentioned regularly drain/fill services for the transmission fluid.

I'm a little overdo for my next service. I did it at 70k and am at 110.5k now. It's been too snowy and wet for me to really do anything lately. May see if I can just rent a lift somewhere lol (few places around here for that).
Not cause for concern if it's only been 45K miles since last change. Spring is coming and warmer weather to more easily allow taking the time to do it carefully. The tranny isn't going to run too hot in winter weather anyway.

I do think it’s worth mentioning what my filter looked like when replacing it just now at ~100k miles. There were some little fine shards of metal directly under where the fluid flows from the transmission down to the pan. It wasn’t much at all and I’m guessing it was from break in.

The magnet in the pan had much more material in the form of sludge on it vs the filter. It looked like a little fluffy donut. Honestly though, my filter looked pretty darn clean. I replaced it because I had already dropped the pan but it didn’t look bad at all. I was also surprised how much filter material was in there. The only stuff going through that has to be microscopic and accumulating on the magnet.

One thing I have from that unless your do a routine filter and oil change varnish does build up and accumulate. This varnish does not always show up on the analysis. This varnish is sort of like someone that smokes all their life and claims no ill effect until they get lung cancer. The next time anyone does a pan drop wipe the servo or valve body area and I am sure you will see this varnish. Once it gets into solenoids, servo and other vale control areas it can cause unexpected problems. The way I look at all the analysis is the information on them is really pointing towards more fluid and filter changes? I also see that the filter of choice in the transmission unlike the engine has no effects no matter the brand or so-called quality. It's there to catch big material which really should not be breaking off in the transmission in the first place.

Just my thoughts.

This post from my fluid and filter change job shows the underside of the trans without the pan. Looks pretty clean in there to me, although the filter blocks part of it from view.

5423b8c6-6efb-4866-9a47-8cf21b40d009-jpeg.294970

This post from my fluid and filter change job shows the underside of the trans without the pan. Looks pretty clean in there to me, although the filter blocks part of it from view.
The minor or start of the varnish is seen when you use a clean rag and wipe parts like the valve body. This varnish is actually very normal for almost all automatic transmissions that don't get any fluid services. A visit to any transmission service shop is a good learning experience to see internal parts of high milage transmission and most all parts have this varnish on them. This varnish build up is one of the eventual causes of solenoids sticking causing clutch engagement issues which can damage the good service operation of the transmission.
On your next pan drop try wiping the valve body to see the varnish.
That varnish from your rag that you will get you can take the rag place it in clean transmission fluid in a jar and let it soak overnight. Then remove that rag squeeze out the remaining fluid into the jar. and send that sample of oil in to get analyzed.
It is an eye opener to read the results.

My point is this is why it is important to do at least regular oil changes with an automatic transmission.

The minor or start of the varnish is seen when you use a clean rag and wipe parts like the valve body. This varnish is actually very normal for almost all automatic transmissions that don't get any fluid services. A visit to any transmission service shop is a good learning experience to see internal parts of high milage transmission and most all parts have this varnish on them. This varnish build up is one of the eventual causes of solenoids sticking causing clutch engagement issues which can damage the good service operation of the transmission.
On your next pan drop try wiping the valve body to see the varnish.
That varnish from your rag that you will get you can take the rag place it in clean transmission fluid in a jar and let it soak overnight. Then remove that rag squeeze out the remaining fluid into the jar. and send that sample of oil in to get analyzed.
It is an eye opener to read the results.

My point is this is why it is important to do at least regular oil changes with an automatic transmission.

I already had a sample tested of the fluid drained, when I was doing that filter service linked above, the results of which are posted earlier in this thread.

I already had a sample tested of the fluid drained, when I was doing that filter service linked above, the results of which are posted earlier in this thread.
I read your posting and analysis. The varnish does not show up on the analysis. I just simply wanted to point out a few things less talked about and often not realized.

Back