Show me your CX-5 wheels

IMG_6904.jpeg
IMG_6905.jpeg

WedsSport SA-25R
Model: WedsSport SA-25R
Size: 18"x7.5J, 5x114.3
ET: 45
Weight: 8.11kg

My rear Megan ASB is 19mm dia, same diameter as stock. But we don't know if the Megan has stiffer steel. I put Prothane urethane bushings, adjustable links and set it on the second, stiffest, ASB setting. The front Megan ASB, larger diameter than stock, 26mm, is on the softest setting.

The Hardrace rear bar is 22mm, I'm pretty sure Megan Racing and Hardrace are the same.

Full disclosure I don't have the part installed yet. But, I have the Hardrace bar, the James Barone Racing stainless brackets, and the 22mm bushings per CX_MCHNE's install guide (link)- you got me worried with the 19mm statement, so I test fitted the bushings and they fit fine, not loose... whew!

I have the BC racing coilover, the Megan rear sway, Megan rear camber, Megan H brace, and Megan front strut bar. This is my daily driver (including Canadian winter) and use it for family trips. All of the mods I listed improved the driving experience each day. The only thing missing is the Megan front sway, which I am hesitate to do given your feedback on the difficulties behind the installation.
are you using spacers with the CX9 wheels?

The Hardrace rear bar is 22mm, I'm pretty sure Megan Racing and Hardrace are the same.

Full disclosure I don't have the part installed yet. But, I have the Hardrace bar, the James Barone Racing stainless brackets, and the 22mm bushings per CX_MCHNE's install guide (link)- you got me worried with the 19mm statement, so I test fitted the bushings and they fit fine, not loose... whew!
I'm going to have to refer to your guys info for these bars. I need to see if I can order a set for my 2022 and then get the proper bushings for them.

21 GT Premium with 19 inch wheels. Got our CPO a few weeks ago with 16k miles. One of my requirements was absolutely no curb rash. I don't like black wheels at all, prefer silver but these gray wheels aren't too bad, combined with a 55 profile tire. Always keep my wheels clean and rash free. Had 20s on my CX-9 and have 20s on my MDX but the 50 profile tires are a little too unforgiving and harsh. I think this 19 inch set up with 55 profile tire on my CX-5 is perfect!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240616_160338_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240616_160338_Gallery.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 25
As I was finishing up today, I realized I ordered a set of 12 lug nuts instead of 16. Doh. Need to wait for 4 more to come in to drive this thing and test out my new tires and ceramic brake pads. Mazda lug nuts do not work with tuner wheels so I can't use those temporarily.

View attachment 329177
Hope your locks and nuts don't rust. I got a set of Gorilla locks for my Acura MDX, and they rusted after 1 winter. But hey, Honda/Acura lug nuts rust after a year too so at least they all match. 😂

Hope your locks and nuts don't rust. I got a set of Gorilla locks for my Acura MDX, and they rusted after 1 winter. But hey, Honda/Acura lug nuts rust after a year too so at least they all match. 😂
I hope not! These are from McGard so are some of the best there is.

2023 CX-5 Turbo​

Machine Gray Metallic
Coated with Meguiar's Hybrid Paint Coating

Wheels:
Forgestar CF5V
Semi Concave
20x9 +45
Gloss Gunmetal
McGard SplineDrive Lug Nuts (black)
Coated with Gyeon Rim

Tires:
Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus
245/45/20

Corksport Lowering Springs

PXL_20240622_014649388-1.jpg

PXL_20240506_024949831-1.jpg

Last edited:
Just got the CX-5 yesterday with stock 17 in wheels. Are there any performance benefits to bigger wheels besides appearance?
Tires that are appropriately sized* for the larger wheels will offer more grip and tighter handling, but there are caveats. Of course this depends on what tire you choose. I was after a combination of that and a more balanced look. Also, Continental did not make this tire in 225 width so I started looking at my options.

*Some people put wider tires on the stock wheels but I don't think it's a great idea if you want tight handling. You really should increase wheel width when you increase the tire width so your wheels and tires are about the same size. In my case, my wheel width is 10 inches at the rim (9" at the tire bead, which is the advertised spec) and the tire section width is also 10 inches. The Mazda wheels are 8" (7" tire bead ) with a 9" section width tire in the case of the Toyos. The extra tire on that wheel can create a pillowy feel which I think was intentional on Mazda's part.

The pillowy feel when cornering is now gone and I'm feeling more characteristics of the car suspension itself, but I traded that for a little more road feel. A lot of this comes down to tire choice as well. I'm running an ultra-high performance all-season tire. You could choose a SUV Touring tire to retain something closer to a stock feel.

I can't offer a comparison between my 19" and 20" wheels simply because the tires are so different. I would caution anyone from drawing too many conclusions from online discussions on upsizing wheels for the same reason.

I saved a total of 26.5 lbs or 6.6 lbs per corner despite upsizing.

Just got the CX-5 yesterday with stock 17 in wheels. Are there any performance benefits to bigger wheels besides appearance?
My 21 GTP has 19" factory wheels with a 55 profile. A bit more comfortable than my Acura MDX which has 20" and 50 profile. The smaller the wheel, and bigger the sidewall the more comfy it drives, going over bumps and potholes. But a taller sidewall has less stability and is less easy to center in the lane on the highway and less cornering ability. Personally, over 55 profile and the tire gets a little sloppy on the road, for my personal taste. Anything below 50 however will be hard to keep aligned and balanced if you have rough roads because a 45 profile tire just does not give you much tire to absorb a pothole. 50 to 55 profile is the magic number, in my opinion.

Back