short throws?

vindication said:
get the bushigs
its all fine and dandy for you to say that but what is it really going to do for me?
I mean I have tried my friends p5 without the bushings and it seemed notchy. I am assuming that the bushings will get rid that or reduce it somewhat.
correct me if I am wrong in thinking this.

seth said:
its all fine and dandy for you to say that but what is it really going to do for me?
I mean I have tried my friends p5 without the bushings and it seemed notchy. I am assuming that the bushings will get rid that or reduce it somewhat.
if you don't like notchy, don't get the bushings

the bushings get rid of that rubbery feeling when putting into gear, they make it sorta more fluid and rigid. It's not going to make it harder to put into gear though.

seth said:
The kartboy bushings will get rid of the ruberness and 'play' in the shifter. If you want to kill the notchiness change your transmission oil too.

Best bet would be go to Dave Wood Mazda (in Newmarket) and get the MOTUL tranny oil. It rocks!

BTW Dave Wood now stocks MOTUL oil for the engine, tranny and anything else you can think of!

I see you are on the Toronto board too! (friday)

Last edited:
Topher said:
i have the b&m with kartboy bushings in my mp3...and i have the twm and kartboy bushings for my p5 (not installed). i love the b&m...and the bushings make things nice and precise (i'm a poet).
me too...and i shortned my b&m an additional inch by hacking off the top and puttin my momo knob on...uber short and fun to shift!

i can sell you a b&m for under $100 shipped. I ran a special sale a while back, and will honor that price for anyone who wants it here.

Get the TWM

It's awesome. Can't speak for the Kartboy or B&M, but I love my TWM. I don't have any bushings though except for stock. Do aftermarket bushings really make a difference???

I got the whole kartboy shebang and it works great. Black anodized knob is nice and stealthy but looks aftermarket. Bushings are a MUST. It's much shorter and perfect length throws. I can't wait to get some nice synthetic tranny oil for great shifting. Not like I use the synchros much anyways... (stoned)

heh yes I am on the toronto forums, thank you for noticing.
I would really like to go see dave woods shop sometime, I think I will get them to do my short shifter install along with my oil change/tranny oil change.

Naveed74 said:
The kartboy bushings will get rid of the ruberness and 'play' in the shifter. If you want to kill the notchiness change your transmission oil too.

Best bet would be go to Dave Wood Mazda (in Newmarket) and get the MOTUL tranny oil. It rocks!

BTW Dave Wood now stocks MOTUL oil for the engine, tranny and anything else you can think of!

I see you are on the Toronto board too! (friday)

im actually going this saturday to dave wood mazda to get my b&m short shifter installed. i'll let you guys know how it goes (spin)

sweet. I think I am going to order the twm but I can't find where to get the kartboy bushings. perhaps the rep from kartboy on these fourms could help me out if he is reading this.

easy s*** dude, the only trouble i came across was the lack of tools, i had to buy "snap ring plier" 17.99 at home depot...what an ass
seth said:
how hard is it to put a short shifter in? do I have to drop my tranny down like the civic boys?

yea get GOOD snap ring pliers too not cheap ones It'll break 'em without a problem. Actually I think I wound up using screwdrivers and pliers. *L*

Pretty easy install, jsut kind of a tight fit with the B&M getting the new pivot slid down into place.

I don't know if ppl really knwo the difference of the B&M wish I had pics, but it's a SERIOUSLY pro component, not just a changed leverage version of stock. it comes with a permalubed bronzeoil ball encased in a CNC machined "pot" that then slides into the place your factory plastic "cups" would normally sandwich a ball. Not sure if my description does it justice, but it's seriously just sorta a step above if you look at the 2 side by side. I went through a long debate with this one as well. Obviously anyone's gonna stand up for what they've got, and I used all of that previous knowledge in my decision. I'm mor ethan impressed with my B&M and I'd buy one again anyday. I'd jump all over that $100 deal.

I have the B&M, but lately i have found it hard to shift into or out of gears? what would be my problem? but when its not acting up, its a great shifter. also what does the bushings do? thanks

Back